Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:47 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No one needs 1000mg of D3 per day. The -most- your body needs, daily, would be around 800mg, if you were 70 years old. And that wouldn't be how much you'd need to take as a supplement, it'd be how much you'd need total, -including- a supplement.

If you're an adult, and not particularly old, you should be getting around 600mg daily. That includes whatever you get from the sun, and from fortified milk, and certain fish (such as salmon) which has D3 naturally.

Basically, if you took 500mg tablet of D3 daily, your levels would rise to where they should be. If they were -too- low you'd get rickets. And since you don't have rickets, you don't need more than the RDA.

Taking TOO much D3 can be dangerous; it can lead to kidney, heart, and blood vessel damage. I don't know why some doctors are recommending such high amounts of vitamin D. You should be getting a -normal- amount of it, not an -extra- amount of it. A normal amount is between 400 and 800 mgs/day, from all sources combined.
Someone who has had certain surgeries (gastric bypass is one) need more than the "normal" amount. I have to take more D3 than the average person, per my doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
You are wrong, I take just a little more than that a day prescribed by a doctor.
The maximum ingested amounts of Vit D were increased last year

Institute of Medicine (IOM) as of 30 November 2010 increased the tolerable upper limit (UL) to
2500 IU per day for ages 1–3 years,
3000 IU per day for ages 4–8 years and
4000 IU per day for ages 9–71+ years (including pregnant or lactating women).[

Within about 20 minutes of ultraviolet exposure in light skinned individuals (3–6 times longer for pigmented skin), the concentrations of vitamin D precursors produced in the skin reach an equilibrium and any further vitamin D that is produced is degraded.Melanin in the skin of darker skinned people blocks some of the absorption of Vit D.

Good dietary sources include oily fish (including cat fish which has some of the highest amounts)
Foods that may be fortified with Vit D include milk, breakfast cereals and some orange juices.

Although studies have shown that there is an increase risk of vascular disease with low serum Vit D levels, there doesn't appear to be any evidence that giving supplementary vit D by mouth reduced the risk.

Vit D is not always absorbed well in the intestine, so even though you're supplementing you may not be getting very much of the vit D into the blood and other organs where it's stored. Unfortunately we can only measure the amount of Vit D in the blood.
Those with coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) are often deficient. Coeliac disease is associated with hyperthyroidism.

You can improve your chances of absorbing Vit D by taking D3 in a "dry" rather than oil form (the oils are often rancid)
Take it with a meal as it needs fat to be absorbed, and this will also reduce the chance of higher doses causing upset stomach
Often Vit D "co-factors" such as magnesium and zinc are low so try taking a supplement that contains the RDA of these 2.

The whole Vitamin D thing is very complex and there's a lot of new information being discovered, especially concerning its' role in cancer and vascular disease. Not easy to say what the daily intake should be as it seems to vary so much with age, location,ethnicity etc

Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Notice that is the UPPER limit. Meaning, the maximum amount anyone in these categories should take, before they reach the "way too freaking much" level.

Here are the estimated average requirements (the least amount they should take before they reach the "dood take MORE you're gonna get sick!" level):

For ALL ages: 400 IU

Here are the recommended daily requirements:

Ages 1-70: 600 IU - including pregnant women and lactating women

Over 70: 800 IU

Link to page doesn't work but it's a file you link to from this page:
http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2010/Diet...Vitamin-D.aspx
where it says "In this report, the IOM proposes new reference values..."

Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I was "diagnosed" with it too and prescribed a large does of Vitamin D. I thought it was very odd because at that time I was running at noon in bright sun about 3 days a week with no sunscreen on my legs. I also drink Vitamin D fortified milk. I took the supplement for a while and then stopped. The whole "epidemic" seems fishy to me.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I was "diagnosed" with it too and prescribed a large does of Vitamin D. I thought it was very odd because at that time I was running at noon in bright sun about 3 days a week with no sunscreen on my legs. I also drink Vitamin D fortified milk. I took the supplement for a while and then stopped. The whole "epidemic" seems fishy to me.
It's a conspiracy by Big Vita to gather the sheep once more in an attack against Big Pharma, so that Big Vita can sell more unregulated, unproven, potentially harmful "supplements" in the name of saving the world from itself.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 PM

55 posts, read 140,699 times
i have a question i'm surprised it hasn't been brought up....

are vitamin D2 and D3 equal or is one better than the other????

Old 06-23-2011, 08:59 PM

what is the man's name who sells his own brand of supplements and ended up taking way too much vitamin d when the manufacturer ended up botching the vitamins and put in a 50,000 IU's instead of 5,000? this guy was really fit and in good shape and it messed him up pretty badly and now he is suing the company that made his product.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:01 PM

found it....

An alternative health guru is suing the company that makes his namesake supplement, claiming it nearly killed him with 1,000 times the recommended dose of Vitamin D.
Gary Null, 65, creator of Gary Null's Ultimate Power Meal, accused Triarco Industries of New Jersey of "botching the testing and manufacturing of the supplement," his attorney, Leslie Fourton, told ABC News. The allegedly tainted batch also sent six other consumers to the hospital, Fourton said.
Null claims he suffered severe kidney damage and intense pain after consuming just two daily doses of the allegedly tainted supplement, which he mixed with water and drank. He experienced "extreme fatigue" and sought help from his doctor. The allegedly tainted dose nearly killed him, Fourton said.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Notice that is the UPPER limit. Meaning, the maximum amount anyone in these categories should take, before they reach the "way too freaking much" level.

Here are the estimated average requirements (the least amount they should take before they reach the "dood take MORE you're gonna get sick!" level):

For ALL ages: 400 IU

Here are the recommended daily requirements:

Ages 1-70: 600 IU - including pregnant women and lactating women

Over 70: 800 IU

Link to page doesn't work but it's a file you link to from this page:
Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D - Institute of Medicine
where it says "In this report, the IOM proposes new reference values..."
Estimated averages are pretty meaningless.They relate to the requirements for someone that has normal serum Vit D. You were arguing that no-one needed to take 1000 IUs of Vit D and that the dose was dangerous.
As I said before, like any other therapeutic medicine, the dose depends on the individuals requirements (according to age, ethnicity and other medical conditions) and their response to the drug, ie whether their serum Vit D moves into the normal reference ranges. So if someone has Vit D deficiency, they will need more than the estimated daily intake.

Yes, higher doses should probably only be taken whilst monitored by an MD, but it's incorrect tp say no one needs 1000 IUs.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE2015 View Post
i have a question i'm surprised it hasn't been brought up....

are vitamin D2 and D3 equal or is one better than the other????
My post #32
You can improve your chances of absorbing Vit D by taking D3 in a "dry" rather than oil form (the oils are often rancid)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements