Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:45 PM
yog yog started this thread

15 posts, read 36,067 times

Advertisements

I'm a shift worker doing 12 hour rotating shifts. I've been working this schedule for almost 5 years and over the last year I've developed insomnia. I hate taking pills so I didn't know what to do. It got so bad that it was affecting my mood. I developed a pretty bad depression that was scaring the hell out of me. So, a few friends recommended melatonin. And I have been taking it for about a week. My sleep has never been better and my depression has almost disappeared. My concern is that there is no real regulation for the stuff and I'm trying to hear about other people's experiences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
nice that it worked for you. I can't offer Long Term advice because this stuff didn't make me the least bit drowsy.
Hope others can help.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
It did nothing for me. Glad it helps someone.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I have long had problems with sleep, and the stuff given by doctors were nightmare alley so I tried melatonin. It worked well for a time, and I gradually had to increase the dose. It's the natural chemical which tells the brain to sleep, and it didn't make me feel like getting up and doing things in my sleep or leave me with a huge hangover.

Problem was, at about twice the normal dose, it got where I was soooo relaxed, but the mind just flowed so nice then and it was impossible to sleep. I have heard that if you skip some time it becomes effective again but destressed life by moving instead.

L-triptophane is the chemical that trigers the production of melatonin, and on the rare occasions I need something now I use that. The stuff I have combines it with melatonin and valerian root, which is a very very mild herbal sedative.

I personally hope melatonin and the like don't get 'regulated' since that means they will dissapear or end up as far more expensive options.

Avoid the perscription stuff with your life. It leaves you in a tailspin the next half of the day.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Try to limit melatonin use to once a week if possible (prefer Sunday night).. I've found that the more I use it, the larger the dosage needed to attain the same sleep inducing effect.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 PM

See, the shifts I work have me doing 3 overnight shifts then 2 days off then 2 day shifts ad infinteum. So, I've been taking a 3 mg time release after a night work and that's it. Nothing when I'm on day shifts and so far, so good.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
That's a tough schedule, your body can't adapt to it the way you would if you were just always working the night shift.

I've been taking melatonin for a few years, it still works for me. Occasionally I will take two pills instead of just one, usually if I have a migraine, but otherwise, one pill still make me sleepy.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
I read something that recommended taking 0.3 mg of melatonin. I bought 1 mg tablets and have been splitting them. I don't remember the source but I found similar information on this site: Melatonin from the University of Maryland Medical Center.

Their recommendation for insomnia is: 1 to 3 mg 1 hour before bedtime is usually effective, although doses as low as 0.1 -0.3 mg may improve sleep for some people. If 3 mg per night does not work after 3 days, try 5 - 6 mg 1 hour before bedtime.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks people

Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yog View Post
I'm a shift worker doing 12 hour rotating shifts. I've been working this schedule for almost 5 years and over the last year I've developed insomnia. I hate taking pills so I didn't know what to do. It got so bad that it was affecting my mood. I developed a pretty bad depression that was scaring the hell out of me. So, a few friends recommended melatonin. And I have been taking it for about a week. My sleep has never been better and my depression has almost disappeared. My concern is that there is no real regulation for the stuff and I'm trying to hear about other people's experiences
I haven't used the supplement but on a positive side note, melatonin appears to be anti-aging:

Melatonin: The Fountain Of Youth?
Melatonin: The Fountain Of Youth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements