Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 PM

733 posts, read 1,755,978 times

Advertisements

I haven't taken vitamins ever since I was about five, and those were just the flintstones vitamins. Now, I'm 22 and I'm thinking that I need to start taking vitamins, especially since I don't get near the nutrition that I need. Problem is, I've done a lot of research online and I'm getting different answers as to when I should take them. I'm not sure if it even matters or not. Some people say that they make you tired, which to me would mean that it would make sense to take them at night. Then other people say that they give you energy so it'd be better to use that energy during the day. So in short, I went out and bought some One a Day mens gummy vitamins and all it says on the package is to take 2. It doesn't say any specific time to take them or whether I should eat food with them or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
I haven't taken vitamins ever since I was about five, and those were just the flintstones vitamins. Now, I'm 22 and I'm thinking that I need to start taking vitamins, especially since I don't get near the nutrition that I need. Problem is, I've done a lot of research online and I'm getting different answers as to when I should take them. I'm not sure if it even matters or not. Some people say that they make you tired, which to me would mean that it would make sense to take them at night. Then other people say that they give you energy so it'd be better to use that energy during the day. So in short, I went out and bought some One a Day mens gummy vitamins and all it says on the package is to take 2. It doesn't say any specific time to take them or whether I should eat food with them or not.
Take the vitamins with a meal or at least with some food. It is better if you don't take them at the same time. Vitamins will not make you tired or give you energy.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
For better to fix your diet....vitamin supplements are of limited value.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Take the vitamins with a meal or at least with some food. It is better if you don't take them at the same time. Vitamins will not make you tired or give you energy.
Mmm depends. B vitamins def give me a lift and keep me up at night. I do agree about taking with food. I tend to take my Ca/Mg supps at night b/c they help me relax and get to sleep but the OP probably doesn't need those. I do agree with user_id that the OP needs to clean up his diet but it wouldn't be a bad idea to take vitamins until he has done so. OP, if you take any meds you might want to ask about interactions too--I take a pill in the morning that would be interfered with if I took any vitamin C at the same time, so I also save my C for later.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Mmm depends. B vitamins def give me a lift and keep me up at night. I do agree about taking with food. I tend to take my Ca/Mg supps at night b/c they help me relax and get to sleep but the OP probably doesn't need those. I do agree with user_id that the OP needs to clean up his diet but it wouldn't be a bad idea to take vitamins until he has done so. OP, if you take any meds you might want to ask about interactions too--I take a pill in the morning that would be interfered with if I took any vitamin C at the same time, so I also save my C for later.
Vitamin and mineral supplements need food in the stomach for the pills to digest and be absorbed. Fat soluble vitamins like A, D and E need to be taken with food that contains some fat to be fully absorbed. Many people are taking supplements on an empty stomach and they are going straight through their body. Digestive issues and prescription drugs can also interfere with vitamin and mineral absorption especially with B-12 causing some older people to be deficient.

There is no scientific reason why B vitamins would give you a lift and keep you up at night.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Vitamin and mineral supplements need food in the stomach for the pills to digest and be absorbed. Fat soluble vitamins like A, D and E need to be taken with food that contains some fat to be fully absorbed. Many people are taking supplements on an empty stomach and they are going straight through their body. Digestive issues and prescription drugs can also interfere with vitamin and mineral absorption especially with B-12 causing some older people to be deficient.

There is no scientific reason why B vitamins would give you a lift and keep you up at night.

Maybe not, but I have to agree. A couple of B Complex vitamins give my energy a huge boost.

Maybe that's why they are in almost all the energy drinks also.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Quote:

I would like to know what they consider a "meal". Let's say I"m supposed to take a supplement 3x a day, but I don't eat that often. Can a meal be a couple crackers? A glass of juice? A cup of tea?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Maybe not, but I have to agree. A couple of B Complex vitamins give my energy a huge boost.

Maybe that's why they are in almost all the energy drinks also.
I bought some high potency B complex, and had a severe allergic reaction. I itched, had hives, and other symptoms I can't recall right now. It was scary, so I tossed them. Maybe a lower potency would be okay, but I don't want to risk it. I get by with a multi.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I would like to know what they consider a "meal". Let's say I"m supposed to take a supplement 3x a day, but I don't eat that often. Can a meal be a couple crackers? A glass of juice? A cup of tea?
I didn't say they need to be taken with a meal but it would beneficial to have some food in your stomach. Taking most pills, capsules or tablets can cause an upset stomach. You need fat in your stomach to aborb fat soluble vitamins. That would eliminate a couple of crackers, a glass of juice or a cup of tea, but a glass of whole or 2% milk would probably be enough.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I bought some high potency B complex, and had a severe allergic reaction. I itched, had hives, and other symptoms I can't recall right now. It was scary, so I tossed them. Maybe a lower potency would be okay, but I don't want to risk it. I get by with a multi.
Maybe that was a 'niacin flush' - from niacin (or B3) that can be slight or more significant, depending on the dose.....

"It consists of reddening of skin along with a burning or itching sensation, which starts about 10 to 20 minutes after taking niacin supplements. The flush happens when the niacin causes the small blood vessels in the skin to dilate. Flushing of the face is the most common, but it can also occur in the neck and upper body. Most people who take large doses of regular niacin feel the niacin flush. The niacin flush isn't dangerous, but it can be very uncomfortable and even frightening if you're not expecting it."

I had a significant niacin flush one time - I almost called 911 - until I recalled this flush possibility. I had taken a large dose - 50 mg, I think. Within minutes, it started quickly - lots of skin turned red and warm (like hives) and tingling....then itching, then, within a short time, it started to subside. It can be alarming if you're not aware of it. I think I tossed mine too!! (But niacin does have interesting benefits.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements