Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:32 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,836 times

Advertisements

I know that a person can overload on certain vitamins. But what about fish oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Fish oil contains omega 3, and the active form of vitamin A. 2000mg of fish oil is fine for the omega 3, but you'll need to keep an eye on your vitamin A intake, because too much of -that- can be dangerous. If the fish oil you're taking has less than 3000 mcg (micrograms), or 10,000 IU (international units), then you're fine, as long as you're not -also- taking a multivitamin. If you're taking both, you should probably not take one or the other.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:41 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,009,133 times
I've been taking 2000mg of fish oil a day for a couple of years now. It only has 300mg of omega3.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
I've been taking 2000mg of fish oil a day for a couple of years now. It only has 300mg of omega3.
Yes, fish oil caps usually only have 300 mg of omega 3 in them. The FDA says you can have up to 3000 mg, but doesn't suggest that you -should- have up to 3000mg. Only that you can consume that much safely.

My post was concerning the vitamin A content in a fish oil cap; if the vitamin A content goes over 3000mcg (micrograms - designated by mcg, not milligrams, designated by mg), then you need to make sure you're not taking too much vitamin A (possibly in the form of a multivitamin in addition to your fish oil) because you can have a toxic reaction to too much vitamin A.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
I don't think anybody knows what the true consequences of consuming that much fish oil a day.......health consequences often take many years to develop.

But more importantly, why would you take 2000mg of fish oil in the first place?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Fish oil thins the blood. I could see a danger if you get a bad cut..........excessive bleeding is a possibility.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Fish oil thins the blood. I could see a danger if you get a bad cut..........excessive bleeding is a possibility.
It's definitely a possibility - but it's also a possibility no matter which bloodthinners you're taking. If you have a medical need to take bloodthinners though, then that means the risk of excessive bleeding has been determined to be not as dangerous, as whatever problem you have that needs bloodthinners to treat it.

Aspirin therapy, warfarin (coumadin), fish oil - you just have to be careful and, if you're taking it for medically prescribed reasons, get your blood checked regularly to make sure it's not gone too far the other direction.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 PM

326 posts, read 703,955 times
Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Health — Health Professional Fact Sheet

If you go to the section just above the references you'll see that it summarizes many studies with various doses (300 to 8000 mg/day) and treatment lengths and they found no reported adverse effects. Again as I believe it was mentioned before in this thread - many fish oil products also are supplemented with vitamins in which case you'll have to be wary not to overdose on those - pure fish oil in itself however appears to be well tolerated.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:01 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Health — Health Professional Fact Sheet

If you go to the section just above the references you'll see that it summarizes many studies with various doses (300 to 8000 mg/day) and treatment lengths and they found no reported adverse effects. Again as I believe it was mentioned before in this thread - many fish oil products also are supplemented with vitamins in which case you'll have to be wary not to overdose on those - pure fish oil in itself however appears to be well tolerated.
"he Tufts EPC reviewed 148 studies to evaluate adverse events-not including fishy aftertaste-from the use of omega-3 fatty acid supplements (typically fish oils). More than half (77) reported that no adverse events had occurred. In total, about 10,000 subjects had taken these supplements in various forms and dosages ranging from 0.3 to 8 g/day for at least one week to more than seven years. Most studies were small, with a few dozen subjects receiving supplements for less than six months."

So the long term effects are almost entirely unknown....

"The Tufts EPC concluded that adverse events related to consumption of fish-oil or ALA supplements appear to be minor and can be managed by reducing the dose or discontinuing the supplement. It noted, however, that adverse event data are incomplete because many studies did not adequately report this information, especially for subjects who withdrew before study completion."

So nobody was really tracking it...and if someone withdrew because they felt terrible and died 2 weeks later....well they wouldn't count.

So yes "No reports of adverse effects", that often happens when you're not looking for them and look at small short-term studies.

I remember the days everyone was taking vitamin E. Poor vitamin E.......has been replaced by a smelly oil.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I'm supposed to take 2000 mg of fish oil daily, one in morning and one at night.

Before surgeries I always stop taking everything, except as prescribed. Fish oil can really thin your blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements