Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times

Advertisements

I've added Flax seed capsules to my diet over the last month and have noticed a remarkable increase in my ability to focus. I originally was just taking to help with my adrenal glands (Diagnosed with adrenal gland deficiency 6 months ago.)

I've been reading more on Omega 3s and am starting to find that Fish Oil may be more beneficial for my health. I do eat Salmon/fish a couple times a week already. Could I just take the Flax seed as a supplement and up my Salmon intake? Or should I just take Fish oil instead of Flax?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I've added Flax seed capsules to my diet over the last month and have noticed a remarkable increase in my ability to focus. I originally was just taking to help with my adrenal glands (Diagnosed with adrenal gland deficiency 6 months ago.)

I've been reading more on Omega 3s and am starting to find that Fish Oil may be more beneficial for my health. I do eat Salmon/fish a couple times a week already. Could I just take the Flax seed as a supplement and up my Salmon intake? Or should I just take Fish oil instead of Flax?

Thoughts?
Your capsules are providing you with rancid oil - very dangerous.

Two tablespoons of fresh, cold pressed. flaxseed oil/day is about 28 capsules/day. This is known as significant quantity.

Best way to do flax is to grind two tablespoons of seed in a small coffee grinder, then immediately dump into a betty crocker hand mixer containing no-fat cottage cheese, add two tablespoons fresh cold pressed flax oil, beat it all up and drink it down.

Salmon oil doesn't provide any lignans.

http://www.flaxlignaninfo.com/upload...alprodwest.pdf

Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 PM

548 posts, read 1,479,917 times
I was diagnosed w/ adrenal issues and take 2000 mg of fish oil/day. I recently bought organic, cold pressed flax from Costco but have yet to use it. LOL.

If the flax is working for your adrenals and improving your focus, I would continue with that.

Is it possible to have too much Omega-3? I wonder.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Your capsules are providing you with rancid oil - very dangerous.
They are? How so? They are organic cold and cold pressed. What is dangerous about them?

Old 02-04-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
s

They are? How so? They are organic cold and cold pressed. What is dangerous about them?
Capsules poorly protect the oil from oxygen. This is critical for long chain fatty acid type oils - on exposure to oxygen, they go rancid about 100 times faster than short chain, like butter.

Mainly, can you tell how long the capsules were on the shelf? Were they refrigerated the whole time from the pressing date?

When you buy organic cold pressed in bottles, most companies provide a label on the outside telling the date the oil was pressed.

I never buy more than one week old.

The omega III in a walnut is kept sealed from oxygen till the squirrel chews it, but at which point, it is mashed with a Sulpho-amino acid, methionine.

Supplements and Vitamin Intake - Sulphur Containing Amino Acids (http://www.supplementswizard.yourpower2be.com/sulphurcontainingaminoacids.html - broken link)

Dr. Budwig Diet

Old 02-04-2010, 01:35 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,760,036 times
Interesting. I take fish oil in the pill form everyday and this morning started putting 2 tablespoons of cold pressed ground organic flaxseed in my cereal/oatmeal. Hope I am not doing an overkill.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
Interesting. I take fish oil in the pill form everyday and this morning started putting 2 tablespoons of cold pressed ground organic flaxseed in my cereal/oatmeal. Hope I am not doing an overkill.
You should eat the ground flaxseed within 10 minutes of it being ground and thus exposed to oxygen.

If you are using skim milk on your cereal, it contains methionine, which is very good to consume with flax oil.

There's nothing wrong with the tasty cream of organic half 'n half, and it contains lots of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) - but watch out, cuz it can make you skinny.

http://www.mercola.com/beef/cla.htm

You are not doing overkill, but you might consider adding some fresh lecithin granules for taste and memory.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:53 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,728,451 times
Barleans! Best Flax Oil around imo .... been using it for years and it's really yummy on rice, cooked greens, uncooked vegies, ... and the list goes on.
Do not, however, cook with it.
I wouldn't use the capsules.
Grinding your own flax seed as the other poster suggested (grind it very, very fine in a coffee grinder) is another way to get your flax ... yummy too and you can use it on any number of foods other than cottage cheese.
It sounds like you've got a good combination .... eating salmon (careful about the source .. if it's farm raised, educate yourself about the farm) and using flax oil is great.
Barleans - Flax Oil (http://www.barleans.com/flaxoil.asp - broken link)

Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,422 times
I take a teaspoon of cold pressed fish oil (the brand name escapes me) in the morning and follow it with a tablespoon of flax meal sprinkled on my morning oatmeal. I do this under the direction of my naturopathic physician. I love the taste of the fish oil. My only complaint is that it adds 5 grams of fat to my diet each day.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,728,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I take a teaspoon of cold pressed fish oil (the brand name escapes me) in the morning and follow it with a tablespoon of flax meal sprinkled on my morning oatmeal. I do this under the direction of my naturopathic physician. I love the taste of the fish oil. My only complaint is that it adds 5 grams of fat to my diet each day.
But it's good fat and the body needs it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements