Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 10:52 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,048 times

Advertisements

Here is the recommendation I found on YOUTUBE from Dr. Berg for post-diet and care after having gall bladder surgery:

This will give you the complete rundown....you'll just need to see what applies to you, and take that route.

https://youtu.be/24jitdT7z58?si=1FAqflmSFftwAzky === Dr. Berg's video on what to eat after having surgery which is very important:

........... Gallbladder Removal Diet And The Gallbladder Problems – Dr.Berg, YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 11:17 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I went to a nutritionist who suggested ox bile after gallbladder surgery. Just about nothing she prescribed caused any discernible difference in my digestion, only my bank account.

I asked my gastroenterologist if he thought ox bile was recommended, but he said no. I have foods that dont agree with my system very well, but I still eat them occasionally. Things like fried foods and mayonnaise, but I avoid them most of the time.

Old 09-24-2023, 10:57 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,100,521 times
Many options
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=supplemen..._ts-doa-p_2_23

This one is reasonably priced
https://www.amazon.com/Gallbladder-S...dp/B0CBKXX1W5/

Old 09-25-2023, 10:23 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Supplement needed for gallbladder removal? Maybe. Maybe not. Hopefully by the time you are in recovery for your surgery, your doctor has already gone over your diet and necessary supplementation, if any. Even if you had to have emergency surgery you'd have this discussion before you're ready to start eating solids again. If it's a planned surgery, then you'd have this discussion before you show up on removal day.

Unless Dr. Berg is YOUR doctor, and has discussed with you PERSONALLY your situation and needs, I wouldn't waste a moment checking his video, or advice, or book, or buying his supplements.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:58 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Mine was removed laparoscopically years ago because of pain from a stone. Quick recovery, no dietary restrictions, no need for supplements.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:16 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times
I had gallstone pain while pregnant in 1974, had the gallbladder removed,, big old scar, not like they can do today, but had no problems afterwards.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:47 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
For those of you that have had your gallbladder removed did your doctor recommend a daily supplement to help with digestion?
No. I asked about a special diet and they said there was not one. Just watch in intake of fats for two or three weeks then eat normally. Watching what I ate for the first three weeks wasn't a problem at all since I had no appetite. My surgery was Sept 1, and my regular appetite and taste came back a few days ago. A benefit was that I lost close to 15 lbs, and that was a good thing. Another 10 and I'll be where I want to be.

Old 09-27-2023, 05:30 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,048 times
Here's what my medical research revealed about both lower fat diets and higher fat diets. Both types of diets can cause the gall bladder to act up....it isn't just the higher fat that does all that. It seems that the gall bladder needs a balanced, moderate amount of fats. I personally felt this was very interesting, since 99% of the time, we are told it's the high fat diet that riles up the gall bladder. I am taking a mixture of supplements that keep my gall bladder calm rather than painful that includes cramping and quite a bit of bloating, which I used to attribute to IBS. So far so good. It is very noticeable when I take those supplements...no bloating, no cramping, no pain. If I keep my diet balanced, with moderate fat, like maybe only 1 pat of butter - or 1 Tablespoon of olive oil per meal - that doesn't aggravate the ball bladder. But if I do much more than that, it might cause an episode.

I appears from what's been posted here and elsewhere....everyone's gall bladder - or gall bladder removal - handles the situations differently. It really helps to experiment with adding and subtracting fats and oils, a little more or a little less each time, depending on how the body reacted before.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:17 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,346,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Mine was removed laparoscopically years ago because of pain from a stone. Quick recovery, no dietary restrictions.
Same here. I had bad pain, and many stones (they told me a big mother stone and lots of babies ). I've had digestive issues since i can remember, probably for the last 40 years.

Gallbladder was removed in about year 14 of that time. My pain from the stones stopped, but i had bad diarrhea most mornings after my first meal, even if it was toast and coffee. Also started having it up to 3 times a day. Had many tests and saw several doctors.

I finally found one whose remedy was OTC Imodium tablets - as many as needed thru the day. He said i'd be fine doing it, and saw me several more times to make sure. Well, i only took them the day before i was going to leave the house, usually - but they did work.

Several years later i was prescribed a statin and another blood pressure medicine. Suddenly the diarrhea stopped. I'm guessing the statin stopped it but who knows. I don't have to use Imodium any more. I'm not saying i'm 100% cured but it's a big difference. I still have many of my other digestive issues (gas-burping, bloating, pain, have had ulcers 3 times, relfux from meds, etc.) but i just live with all of it.

Old 01-23-2024, 04:37 PM

547 posts, read 326,792 times
some things to consider -- bile salts, apple cider vinegar, digestive enzymes

bile is used to break down fats. so a fat break down helper like digestive enzyme lipase makes a lot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements