Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 01:13 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/15/healt...ess/index.html
Quote:
The volunteers were observed for more than two years between June 2017 and January 2020. The study was stopped early it became clear there was a low probability of any benefit from the omega 3 fatty acids.
In fact, there was a greater rate of gastrointestinal adverse events, more than 25%, in the group that took the omega-3 supplement, compared to those who took the corn oil, at a little more than 15%.

"Multiple trials now have shown absolutely no effect of fish oil on cardiovascular outcomes with one big exception," said Dr. Steve Nissen, a cardiologist at Cleveland Clinic who worked on the study. "That trial, known as REDUCE-IT, got a huge amount of attention, there was a ton of hype, including an FDA label that it reduced cardiovascular risk."

That trial, he said, used a purified form of EPA, one of the components in fish oil.

Just some info to toss out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 01:49 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,104,002 times
Sinatra points to JAMA study that says they decrease CHD death by 10% and after a heart attack they help improve heart function.

And Omegas also help the brain from shrinking

Grassrootshealth has many articles on omega 3, you see on the map only a few coastal areas have a good omega 3 index

Last edited by Rom623; 11-16-2020 at 02:16 PM..

Old 11-16-2020, 02:03 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Studies studies studies. It's a secure way to make a living, that's fershur.

I remember the old butter-good butter-bad studies from long ago. For a long time butter was "heart attack food." Then it became good food. I don't know what it is now, but I use butter and I use fish oil.

Meanwhile, some learned types make a very good living doing studies studies studies. Good work if you can get it.

Old 11-16-2020, 04:07 PM

JG183 did a recent thread on Fish Oil and immunity

Old 11-16-2020, 07:17 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times
Thanks Rom.

And if fish oil doesn't have cardio-protective effects, then I guess sales of Vascepa and Lovaza will plummet...

Old 11-16-2020, 08:26 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
I started taking fish and krill oil for my knees about a month ago and I think it is helping somewhat. More than anything else, it is definitely making my hair thicker and it is growing faster. I didn't really need thicker hair as it was pretty full already and always has been. Now it has a sheen to it and it extremely thick. I need another hair cut.

Old 11-16-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I started taking fish and krill oil for my knees about a month ago and I think it is helping somewhat.
Some of the research says you need 3 grams of high EPA fish oil(nordic natural or wiley brand are good) to get the most benefit.

"Studies suggest that there may be a dose response relationship between marine n-3 PUFAs and the reduction of ARA-derived eicosanoids associated with inflammation. To elicit an anti-inflammatory effect, a threshold intake of 2.7 g per day EPA has been suggested.5,9 Studies using low intakes of EPA and DHA (< 1.5 g/day) have not concluded any clinical benefit from fish oil supplementation.5"

Its a good idea to take a full spectrum vitamin E(like Jarrow) with high doses as fish oil depletes vitamin E.

I see many people report good results for join pain using Curcumin95 from Jarrow.

Type 2 collagen will train your antibodies not to attack your joints as well, good stuff.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:41 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,139,849 times
As you know, I'm not big on supplements, but readers should be aware that "studies" can be very misleading. ...This is particularly true with things involving nutrition, because nutrition is a life-long factor, not a short term thing....

Don't confuse nutritional supplements with medications. Medications are to be expected to show results in short order over a course of a few days to weeks, maybe even to the point that they can be discontinued after doing their thing (like antibiotics, etc).

Nutritional modifications need to work over the course of a life time. Nutritional studies, for obvious reasons, can't be extended for life times. Researchers are forced to assume that following 5 pts for 50 yrs (250 pt-yrs) is the same as following 250 pts for 1 yr (250 pt yrs)....Anybody need a deep explanation to see the fallacy in that thinking?

Hardening of the arteries starts the day you're born. Maybe if you started taking fish oil or whatever at age 20, it would add 10 yrs to your life. If you wait until you've had a heart attack at age 73, you'd be lucky to add 10 days. (I'm making numbers up here, but you get my point.)

Old 11-17-2020, 03:53 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
I think much of what fish oil does is thin the blood and prevent clotting. As such, that can work pretty fast.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:37 AM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I assume it has to be natural sources of fish oil. The real deal.

Supps and other synthetics have long been sh*tola.

We shout eat wild caught fish, sardines, mackerel, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements