Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:37 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,962 times

Advertisements

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about taking calcium supplements.

Calcium has been known to cause heart blockage and heart attacks.

Three or four serves a day of calcium rich foods like yogurt or salmon or milk is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
When we discovered that I had a milk allergy the doctor had me switch to Soy Milk, it also has about 50% more calcium than reg milk. Made a big difference.
The doctor also had my wife start taking Caltrate 600+D a few years ago. She's been happy with the results so far. Pvt label brands are just as good and about 1/2 the cost.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:41 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZrhythm View Post
I've looked in to this and discovered that although it is heated for evaporation, the milk is not heated to the temperature required for pasteurization. My experience is that milk allergy symptoms do not occur after drinking evaporated milk.
Not my experience.

I'm allergic to milk. Evaporated, dried, skim, whole--all milk. Cheese, yogurt, anything made from milk. I don't do too well on goat's milk either, unfortunately.

I drink rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, even coconut milk as substitutes and take calcium citrate with vit D and magnesium. Have done this for years, ever since the dairy allergy diagnosis. It's hard to get enough calcium if you can't have dairy products so you have to work at it. Still, it's better than those killer congestive headaches and the bloating from milk products. I think a lot of people are allergic to dairy and they just don't realize it.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:51 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,472 times
Default Increased Bone Density With Natural Progesterone

If bone density is the goal, it may be worth considering progesterone cream.

Study Shows Increased Bone Density With Natural Progesterone
Dr. John Lee of Sebastapol, California has found that by adding natural progesterone cream to an established osteoporosis program, bone density can be increased up to 10 percent within the first six months, then increased annually at the rate of 3–5 percent, until stabilizing at levels common to a healthy 35-year-old. Dr. Lee’s study lasted three years and involved 100 postmenopausal patients ages 38 to 83.
Progesterone as a Natural Treatment of Osteoporosis at DrDavidWilliams.com

And, *BONUS* progesterone cream remedied incontinence in two women I know, and one of them was slated for corrective surgery - and was delighted to be able to cancel that surgery! The other monitored bone density and saw a marked increase within about 6 months, similar to that mentioned above.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I would be EXTREMELY cautious about taking calcium supplements.

Calcium has been known to cause heart blockage and heart attacks.

Three or four serves a day of calcium rich foods like yogurt or salmon or milk is the way to go.
Ann,
I read that study, too.
People who took calcium supplement regularly had much more calcification of their arteries which caused earlier death from vascular issues.

I also have read a LOT about the adults of most animals not being able to properly digest milk.

I do take calcium supplements with magnesium and D, but people have to be aware that this is controversial.

I take co enzyme Q-10, too. I am older and it helps with the health of tissues, gums, heart, etc. This is one thing that diminishes as we age.

Tums nullifies stomach acid. If you are older this could lead to digestive problems as your acid is already diminished. I believe this is calcium carbonate, which I would not take.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Not my experience.

I'm allergic to milk. Evaporated, dried, skim, whole--all milk. Cheese, yogurt, anything made from milk. I don't do too well on goat's milk either, unfortunately.

I drink rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, even coconut milk as substitutes and take calcium citrate with vit D and magnesium. Have done this for years, ever since the dairy allergy diagnosis. It's hard to get enough calcium if you can't have dairy products so you have to work at it. Still, it's better than those killer congestive headaches and the bloating from milk products. I think a lot of people are allergic to dairy and they just don't realize it.
I, too, have that reaction to too much dairy. For about ten years I stayed away from all dairy. Now I drink soy milk, but can have cheeses from time to time.

I am told that an allergy would cause more severe reactions, possibly death, and that I have a food sensitivity. I had your symptoms.

Most adults, I have read, do not digest dairy. Some react the way that we do and do not know the cause, while others simply have bodies that do not absorb nutrients from it.

Even an adult cat, when well fed, will turn their noses at a milk offering.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 AM

757 posts, read 1,328,376 times
My Ortho told me, when I had three compound breaks in my leg, to eat TUMS.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Wow, the misinformation here is mind-boggling.

1. Not all milk is cow's milk. Posting as though you're making the assumption that it is, is misleading. Breastmilk is milk too.
2. Not all dairy is milk. Cheese is dairy too. So is whey, and so is butterfat, and cream.
3. The statement "Most adults, I have read, do not digest dairy." is false.
4. If the it is true that "I also have read a LOT about the adults of most animals not being able to properly digest milk." then you've been reading fairy tales. Unless, of course, you are confusing "milk" with "cow-sourced dairy." Because...

MOST humans can properly digest human milk.
MOST goats can properly digest goat's milk.
MOST whales can properly digest whale milk.
MOST mammals can properly digest the milk from another of the same species of mammal.

However, lactose intolerance is common among certain large human populations. If they took the lactose out of the milk, they'd be able to consume it just fine. That is why "lactaid" exists.

An actual allergy to dairy is rare, but some people are allergic. I have an allergy to a certain enzyme in one of the dairy proteins. As such, I can have hard cheeses without much problem. But softer cheeses, milk, ice cream, and yogurt give me horrible digestive problems, and trigger a chemical in my brain that makes me hostile. I can have a small amount of soft cheeses/milk/ice cream, without anything more than just gas. But too much and my body and mind go haywire. It doesn't matter what animal the product comes from, though I find somewhat less reaction from sheeps milk than cow. I don't like goat cheese. I've had buffalo milk ice cream and had the same problem with it that I do with regular ice cream.

5. TUMS is an antacid, BECAUSE its #1 ingredient is calcium. ALL calcium supplements are antacids. That's what calcium DOES, in the digestive system. It neutralizes the stomach acid. It's also an important support for the bones, which is why people supplement with it in the first place. The stomach will not stop producing acid just because you take TUMS. The downside to TUMS, is that it doesn't have any vitamin D in it, and calcium isn't as effective without D working in tandem with it. So you'd still need to supplement with vitamin D. On the upside, vitamin D pills are very small, compared to calcium tablets, which are like horse pills. So it's a pretty efficient thing to chew a tums, and swallow a D, to get the calcium you need.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:38 PM

I am not going to be forced into researching online the studies done which claim that adults do not process milk properly. Of course, I am talking about cow's milk. Did anyone think I meant almond milk. Sometimes the enzymes in cheeses or the fat content will allow slower digestion of dairy and the body might be able to handle that.

Yes, adults with digestive problems may exacerbate it by taking calcium. They could have too much acid or too little and still have similar digestive symptoms. If they have too little, then taking Tums will actually be harming them.

Fortunately, I know how to and am regulating my diet to avoid hostile over reactions to another's friendly post.

The gist of this is, we should each know our bodies and do what is best for them.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am not going to be forced into researching online the studies done which claim that adults do not process milk properly. Of course, I am talking about cow's milk. Did anyone think I meant almond milk. Sometimes the enzymes in cheeses or the fat content will allow slower digestion of dairy and the body might be able to handle that.

Yes, adults with digestive problems may exacerbate it by taking calcium. They could have too much acid or too little and still have similar digestive symptoms. If they have too little, then taking Tums will actually be harming them.

Fortunately, I know how to and am regulating my diet to avoid hostile over reactions to another's friendly post.

The gist of this is, we should each know our bodies and do what is best for them.
In your previous post, that I responded to, you claimed you DID do the research.
Now you're saying you will not do the research - implying, that you haven't done it yet.

Saying "adults do not process dairy properly" is an incorrect statement. It is inclusive, and assumes *all* adults. And that just plain isn't true. MANY adults *do* digest it efficiently. SOME adults are lactose intolerant, and do not digest it efficiently. A FEW adults are actually allergic to the proteins in dairy, and will also not digest it efficiently.

We were talking about dairy, and you used "milk" in your post as an absolute, just like you used "adults" as an absolute. It's semantics, and it's a matter of sentence structure and the English language. When you say "Adults can't process milk," the sentence implies that (The entire set of nouns known as adults) can't process (the entire set of nouns known as milk.) Which translates to "All adults can't process all milk."

If you meant something other than you posted, you should've posted what you meant instead. Or included a smiley face so we'd all know you were kidding. Consider your reader when you post. Your reader isn't necessarily "the adult who already knows this and knows what I mean when I say things." Your reader is ALSO "the teenager who hasn't yet learned and is coming here to learn, and isn't familiar with all the terminology, -or- with all the possible meanings of things, or their implications."

Adults with acid indigestion take calcium, in the form of TUMS. That is what YOU were talking about, when you said TUMS was bad for people. That is what I was talking about, when I told you that you were wrong. If you're having difficulty keeping up with the conversation, perhaps you might want to read back from the first post and allow yourself to absorb the flow.

TUMS *is* a calcium supplement. That is the point of the thread, and the point of the advice. Calcium supplements ARE antacids, by definition. TUMS is a fast-acting one, primarily because it's delivered in a sweetener base and chewed, rather than enteric-coated and swallowed whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements