Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,000 times

Advertisements

We had no problem renting with a toddler. We had a sliding door to the outside and the complex even put up a baby swing for us near our townhouse. We had our own area and played outside all the time. This was in Camillus though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:56 PM

655 posts, read 2,327,837 times
Default Syracuse Suburban Homes & Relocation Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyNYMom View Post
....we are thinking of relocating to the Syracuse area due to the high cost of living in the Hudson Valley. His salary will go much farther in Syracuse than it does where we currently live.

We have two small children, ages 1 and 3, and we are looking for a newer home in a suburb. I've been doing some research on real estate websites and there seem to be many homes in nice, newer neighborhoods, which is exactly what we are looking for.

We'd like to spend between 175,000-200,000 on a home. ...... We also want to be in a good school district, and close to shopping.

We've seen a lot of homes in Radisson/Lysander, Camillus, Clay and Cicero. Are those nice towns for families?....
Some additional info for your family.

Yes, your income will go further here than where you presently live.

The amount of money you mentioned to spend on a nice home here in suburban Syracuse is a very realistic price. New starter/smaller brand new homes begin at $145,000 & $150,000; a little larger new homes at $160,000; and then even larger/nicer new homes at $180,000-$225,000; and of course higher prices as a new home is built with more upgrade features.

Radisson/Lysander/Baldwinsville; you mentioned in the past. Here is a written profile/outline about the Radisson community.

http://www.radissoncommunity.com/About/ (broken link)

The following website will show you a street map of any Home area. Click on the line below and enter the street name, city/town, state[NY], and zip code. Click on "Get Map". A street map for that area will appear.

http://www.maps.msn.com/

You may already know about the following but wanted to make sure you had the info. The metro Syracuse "2010 Parade of [New Built-Furnished Decorated] Homes" at the Mallards Landing development in Manlius, NY, will be held September 11-26, 2010. These homes are built in an Upscale Homes area; very beautiful to tour/visit but expensive-starting at $350,000 and UP. Click below for the website info.

http://www.hbrcny.com/parade.html (broken link)

Some Home Builders names who build new homes in the metro Syracuse area have been mentioned previously; following is a list of all area builders for your info/reference/use. Click on=

http://www.hbaofcny.com/builders.html (broken link)

It was just published that the [current-August 2010] list of the 5 Most Affordable Metro Cities to buy a home in the whole U.S. are as follows.

1. Syracuse, NY
2. Indianapolis, IN
3. Detroit, MI
4. Youngstown, OH
5. Buffalo, NY

Below three families tell about their experience in relocating to the metro Syracuse area and what they do like or don't like about Central New York.

http://blog.syracuse.com/cny/2010/08..._new_york.html

I believe that the metro Syracuse area has a very good expressway/highway system that allows for easy/quick travel around our area; not the long traffic jams that some cities have.

An article in June 2010 announced that metro Syracuse is among the 4 best places in U.S. to raise a family. Read about it below.

http://www.cnyrealtor.com/news/2010/...s-raise-family

Metro Syracuse is also close to the other great regions of New York State like: the beautiful Finger Lakes region, the Adirondack Mountains, the Thousand Islands & St. Lawrence River region, Cooperstown-Baseball Hall of Fame, hiking, biking, numerous lakes, boating, camping, fishing, hunting, snow skiing, and more places/regions/attractions/activities which can be searched on the internet.

This info is for your family and for any other families who may be thinking/looking for a new relocation city.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:06 AM

Default SYRACUSE METRO=High Quality of Life

This is additional information for people now living in other parts of the country with more expensive cost-of-living and congested urban cities affected by outrageous home prices, traffic jams, high crime, & pollution=who may be considering/looking to relocate to a more liveable/enjoyable area/city. The metro Syracuse/Suburbs/Countryside region offers an excellent quality of life environment and very affordable homes.

The 2010 Syracuse Parade of Homes-September 11-26, 2010. In the previous post, I neglected to say that the new HOMES are located/built on >> GADWALL LANE << off Ring Necked Path in the MALLARDS LANDING development in Manlius, NY. Check the INTERNET MAP for the exact location of that street.

I also found an informative profile/outline about the metro Syracuse/Suburbs/Countryside areas on the internet website shown below. Click on below.

http://www.cnyrealtor.com/buyers-sellers/about-syracuse

Old 08-29-2010, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 13,827 times
Hi, I live in Grand Blanc Michigan andIwant to move close to my Best Friend in Clay,NY. Any suggestions?

Old 08-29-2010, 03:54 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Some additional info for your family.

Yes, your income will go further here than where you presently live.

The amount of money you mentioned to spend on a nice home here in suburban Syracuse is a very realistic price. New starter/smaller brand new homes begin at $145,000 & $150,000; a little larger new homes at $160,000; and then even larger/nicer new homes at $180,000-$225,000; and of course higher prices as a new home is built with more upgrade features.

Radisson/Lysander/Baldwinsville; you mentioned in the past. Here is a written profile/outline about the Radisson community.

About, Radisson Community (http://www.radissoncommunity.com/About/ - broken link)

The following website will show you a street map of any Home area. Click on the line below and enter the street name, city/town, state[NY], and zip code. Click on "Get Map". A street map for that area will appear.

MSN Maps & Directions

How come Rochester was not on the list? They're the same price as Buffalo -no? at least tax wise? Are the house prices so much more expensive?

You may already know about the following but wanted to make sure you had the info. The metro Syracuse "2010 Parade of [New Built-Furnished Decorated] Homes" at the Mallards Landing development in Manlius, NY, will be held September 11-26, 2010. These homes are built in an Upscale Homes area; very beautiful to tour/visit but expensive-starting at $350,000 and UP. Click below for the website info.

Parade of Homes The Home Builders and Remodelers Association of Central New York (http://www.hbrcny.com/parade.html - broken link)

Some Home Builders names who build new homes in the metro Syracuse area have been mentioned previously; following is a list of all area builders for your info/reference/use. Click on=

The Home Builders and Remodelers Association of Central New York (http://www.hbaofcny.com/builders.html - broken link)

It was just published that the [current-August 2010] list of the 5 Most Affordable Metro Cities to buy a home in the whole U.S. are as follows.

1. Syracuse, NY
2. Indianapolis, IN
3. Detroit, MI
4. Youngstown, OH
5. Buffalo, NY

Below three families tell about their experience in relocating to the metro Syracuse area and what they do like or don't like about Central New York.

Three transplants share why they like Central New York | syracuse.com

I believe that the metro Syracuse area has a very good expressway/highway system that allows for easy/quick travel around our area; not the long traffic jams that some cities have.

An article in June 2010 announced that metro Syracuse is among the 4 best places in U.S. to raise a family. Read about it below.

Syracuse named #4 - America's Best Places to Raise a Family! | cnyrealtor.com

Metro Syracuse is also close to the other great regions of New York State like: the beautiful Finger Lakes region, the Adirondack Mountains, the Thousand Islands & St. Lawrence River region, Cooperstown-Baseball Hall of Fame, hiking, biking, numerous lakes, boating, camping, fishing, hunting, snow skiing, and more places/regions/attractions/activities which can be searched on the internet.

This info is for your family and for any other families who may be thinking/looking for a new relocation city.
How come Rochester was not on the list? They're the same price as Buffalo -no? at least tax wise? Are the house prices so much more expensive?

Old 08-29-2010, 04:56 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
I would think that Rochester would be right there as well. There isn't too much differences between those 2 cities/areas.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:02 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpattee View Post
Hi, I live in Grand Blanc Michigan andIwant to move close to my Best Friend in Clay,NY. Any suggestions?
Syracuse and Flint are similar in terms of size, but the Syracuse metro has more people. If you want something similar to Grand Blanc, try possibly the North Syracuse or Baldwinsville areas. Both are close to where your freind lives too. As far as school demographics in that part of the metro, North Syracuse and maybe even moreso, the Liverpool School Districts are similar to Grand Blanc.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Syracuse-Buffalo-Rochester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
I really wanted to put Rochester on the list of most affordable Metro areas/ places to buy a home and I searched the internet to find out where on the list Rochester would be numbered, but I just could not find that information. No matter what number Rochester would be, I would have included it in the info I gave whether Rochester be number 9 or 12 or 16. I like all our upstate region so I would not "slight"/"ignore" Rochester. If you are able to find out where Rochester stands on the list I'd be interested in that info.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpattee View Post
You mention Clay, NY. There is the postal zip code 13041 which is Clay, NY. AND then there is Liverpool postal zip codes 13088 & 13090 in the TOWNSHIP of Clay AND half of North Syracuse postal zip code 13212 in the TOWNSHIP of Clay.

I'm going to assume that your friend's zip code is 13041 which is called Clay, NY. If you get a Syracuse/Suburbs street map [from AAA or Bookstore] and take a look at it. Locate the STREET NAME WHERE YOUR FRIEND LIVES. Is your friend's street located closer to-- 1. Caughdenoy Road ? OR 2. Morgan Road ?

If your friend lives closer to Caughdenoy Road, then you would be closest if you lived in Clay or Cicero which have the newest built homes/apartments---OR in North Syracuse which has homes/apartments built in the 1950's to the present time. In this Cicero/Clay/North Syracuse area you would have Expressways 81 & 481 and other streets for easy travel. There is convenient/closeby shopping along Route 11 in Cicero. One apt. complex in Cicero is Cobblestone Square. There are all sorts of homes anyone can buy; new, existing, or condos. Ryan Homes has NEW single homes starting at $150,000+ and up at Lawton Valley Hunt on Lawton Road in Clay and at Wallington Meadows on Whiting Road in Cicero = current mortgage interest rate 4.25% & 4.5%. Existing and older small homes might be found at less cost; you just need to search or ask a realtor.

If your friend lives closest to Morgan Road, then you would probably be closest if you lived in Liverpool postal zip code 13090. There are several highways there for easy travel. There is good shopping nearby at the intersection of Expressway 481 & Route 31.

To see a street map of the Clay, NY area, click on the following line and enter a street address and the town/city name & state and the street map will appear. http://www.maps.msn.com/

All of the following villages/towns are nice/decent nearby places to live: Clay, Cicero, Brewerton, North Syracuse, Liverpool, Baldwinsville, Radisson; other not mentioned towns are nice too==I just listed the ones that might be closest to your friend.

If you want additional or specific info from me, just ask me a specific question. Good luck with your plans.

Last edited by grdnrman; 09-10-2010 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,253 times
Whatever you do, don't let your children go to Solvay elementary if you care about their education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area