Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 02:16 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Last year, some friends and I went to the FL Wine Fest down in Watkins Glen - I was able to find a bus tour (Wade Tours) that would take us down for the day from Syracuse. Unfortunately, it ended up being a disaster since the driver got lost and they mis-calculated the time it took to get there - so basically we paid all this money for a very short trip. They sent an apology letter, but didn't offer anything else, and I will never use them again.

That being said, we do want to go again this year, and are looking for other options. I'm guessing really the only thing is to stay down there? I've started looking at hotels since they were all booked when I looked last year - the thing with those are that the closest hotels are still about a 10min drive to the speedway, and we don't want anyone driving because we will be drinking.

The other option I can think of is to camp on site. I don't know how I feel about that because we saw how packed it was last year and I wouldn't feel like our belongings would be safe at the camp site.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions/advice? I do have 2 dogs as well, so the IDEAL situation would be to bring them with me, but it's not really looking like that's an option.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 06:46 AM

10 posts, read 29,831 times
Well, as you are aware, there are plenty of B & B here as well as hotel rooms. Some may even offer shuttles up to the wine fest. As for the dogs, some folks have opted to kennel them while they are here. A good choice is Log Cabin Kennels on Mathews Road - right off Route 414 near Chateau Lafayette Renau and Atwater Vineyards. Her prices are reasonable and Kerri is good with the dogs. She has a large play yard if your dogs are sociable. (607) 546-2280

Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 AM

10 posts, read 29,831 times
As for transportation, Terps Enterprises (607)795-4426 will pick you up at your hotel and take you to and from the festival. Call them and they will tell you which hotels they are servicing. I found this information on the Wine festival site - Finger Lakes Wine Festival - Finger Lakes Wine Festival There is lots of info there - poke around and you'll find just about anything you want to know. Including a listing of area hotels that can be downloaded. You are correct in your assumption that you should book early. The event gets bigger every year.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
PERFECT!!!! Thank you!! The Terps website actually had some additional hotels that I didn't find yesterday. They run a shuttle from the Watkins Glen area hotels for $15 per person. The Anchor Inn motel sounds perfect - it's pet-friendly and also has a tiki bar! We will have to go down there Friday night and leave Sunday morning if we want to get the whole day Saturday in. The tiki bar will be perfect to entertain us Friday and Saturday nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area