Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,650 times

Advertisements

Wondering how the Syracuse parade compares to other Upstate parades, i.e. Rochester, Buffalo. Didn't even know Rochester holds a large parade until this year, and Buffalo holds 2 parades! What about Albany, Binghamton, Utica?

I have googled enough to see both the 'Cuse and Rochester's draw about the same amount of people. Syracuse is much smaller, so that's interesting.

And, which city boasts the largest Irish heritage population in comparison to other Western European descendants in Upstate? I know, that should be another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatekid View Post
Wondering how the Syracuse parade compares to other Upstate parades, i.e. Rochester, Buffalo. Didn't even know Rochester holds a large parade until this year, and Buffalo holds 2 parades! What about Albany, Binghamton, Utica?

I have googled enough to see both the 'Cuse and Rochester's draw about the same amount of people. Syracuse is much smaller, so that's interesting.

And, which city boasts the largest Irish heritage population in comparison to other Western European descendants in Upstate? I know, that should be another thread.
I'd say it is a close race between Syracuse and the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area. Both are known for having relatively high percentages of people of Irish descent.

Here's some information on the parade throughout Upstate NY
Parade Day
Hoosick Falls, NY St Patrick's Day Parade and Irish Fest - 2010 | Facebook (near Albany)
The 2010 New York List of the Saint Patrick's Parade in the State of New York (NY)
2010 New York State St. Patrick's Day Parades

Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,209 times
Utica has a St. Patricks Day parade, but not sure how big it is though.

2010 Utica St. Patrick's Day Parade Saturday, March 13th, 2010 10:00 AM Utica, NY

St. Patrick's Day Parade green line painted on Genesee St. in Utica - Utica, NY - The Observer-Dispatch

Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,566 times
Uticas parade since the great american festival took it over, It was so much bigger and better when the cable cares club ran it. now its just a bunch of trucks moving down the street with very few bands. the festival pi$$ed so many people off they wont get behind the parade as they did in the past. I'd pass this one and go to syracuse or albany for a quality parade.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:14 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,860 times
In Syracuse, the St Patrick's festivities coincide with March Madness, which is usually a big deal in Syracuse because the Orangemen are often in the hunt. So, St Patrick's Day seems to extend for longer than the actual day of the parade. Syracuse doesn't just have an Irish population, it has a celebrated Irish neighborhood (Tipperary Hill) that has the famous traffic light with the green light on top, the only one of its kind in the country.

Also, due to the snowy winter weather in Syracuse, St Patrick's Day really seems to matter as an excuse to get out and raise hell after a long winter (which usually isn't even finished yet by the time the parade happens, which is why Syracuse St Patrick's parades are so hardcore). All they need to do is schedule some outdoor hockey games during this period of time, and I think Syracuse St Patrick's Week could become the premier winter sporting/drinking/outdoor pissing festival in America. They're not there yet, but they could get there if they wanted to.

Other than that... I think Scranton also has a St Patrick's Day parade that can easily compete with Syracuse or Albany.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,897 times
D@mn straight! lol - mid-March gets a little crazy 'round here... huge Irish population and everyone who isn't IS anyway. It's pretty much a few weeks of pub crawling, shouting across massive crowds of people to friends down the block or across the bar and shoving down fish and chips and soda bread because... Éirinn go Brách!! Also a plus- the orange in the Irish flag goes well with the SU Orangemen fans. (Just about everyone. lol)

It helps that my dad's side is wikkid Irish Catholic , are originally downstate NY'ers, my brothers play bagpipes and drums, and my dad and uncles seemed to go to high school with just about every pub owner in the city. lol

Didn't the green beer truck arrive in front of Coleman's (at Tipp Hill, for the non-residents) last week? I'd say THAT was the start of the St. Patty's season. :P

Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,860 times
Oh, and I forgot the Shamrock Run. Who schedules a race in the dead of winter? Syracusans do! Woo hoo

Old 03-09-2011, 06:45 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Great points and I believe that the Syracuse metro is only behind Boston and is tied with the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro in terms of percentage of people of Irish descent.

I've also heard that Savannah GA actually has a pretty big St. Patty's Day Parade too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area