Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 06:40 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Pier 1 is a nice store, but very different from Ikea.

Ikea siting requirements are 2 million in a 40-60 mile radius with growth to come. I found this interesting regarding Ikea in the Capital Region:

An IKEA? Here? Well... | All Over Albany
If I had to guess, somewhere south or east of Albany would be the likeliest upstate area to get an IKEA, if nothing else because their distribution already includes NYC.

Amusingly, IKEA seems to have thrown those siting guidelines out the window in Canada. They've got a store in the Ottawa area, which has about 1.2M people metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
There is an Ikea about 45 minutes from the Canadian border in Buffalo. It is on the Queens Expressway outside of Toronto.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:16 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
You and most young people think in years. I think in generations. That pine and fiberboard. Your grand kids wouldn't be getting that. Toss it in the landfill like everything else these days.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:28 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
There is an Ikea about 45 minutes from the Canadian border in Buffalo. It is on the Queens Expressway outside of Toronto.
I think is the one you are referring to: IKEA Burlington - IKEA

Old 07-28-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
If I had to guess, somewhere south or east of Albany would be the likeliest upstate area to get an IKEA, if nothing else because their distribution already includes NYC.

Amusingly, IKEA seems to have thrown those siting guidelines out the window in Canada. They've got a store in the Ottawa area, which has about 1.2M people metro.
Good point about Ottawa and it is odd that people in Ogdensburg have better access to one than people here.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
You and most young people think in years. I think in generations. That pine and fiberboard. Your grand kids wouldn't be getting that. Toss it in the landfill like everything else these days.
Pine lasts, no? I had a dining table made of pine from my grandparents. I only recently donated it because it was not my style. I never throw things in a landfill- everything short of empty pizza boxes goes to Goodwill. But I agree, most people just toss old particleboard stuff on the curb with a "free" sign.

The solid oak furniture that I've seen costs 4x as much as the solid pine stuff from Ikea. For me, its a no brainer. The solid pine stuff will last 25 years easily, by that time, I'll probably want a different piece.

Furniture / cabinets, however built goes out of style. When I look back to when people had "wall units" in the 80's, you gotta laugh. Now imagine if you bought one that was $3k solid wood.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM

Schumer's downtown supermarket push: Could a local store do the job as well as Whole Foods? | syracuse.com

Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Pine lasts, no? I had a dining table made of pine from my grandparents. I only recently donated it because it was not my style. I never throw things in a landfill- everything short of empty pizza boxes goes to Goodwill. But I agree, most people just toss old particleboard stuff on the curb with a "free" sign.

The solid oak furniture that I've seen costs 4x as much as the solid pine stuff from Ikea. For me, its a no brainer. The solid pine stuff will last 25 years easily, by that time, I'll probably want a different piece.

Furniture / cabinets, however built goes out of style. When I look back to when people had "wall units" in the 80's, you gotta laugh. Now imagine if you bought one that was $3k solid wood.
I guess if your happy that's all that matters.

Most of my stuff is older then me. The stuff I build for my kids will be passed done for generations. When my mom passes all her IKEA crap goes in a dumpster.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:34 PM

865 posts, read 2,162,059 times
Is Ikea stuff low quality? I have never looked at any of their stuff ... seems too expensive for me.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:57 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Is Ikea stuff low quality? I have never looked at any of their stuff ... seems too expensive for me.
The majority of Ikea furniture is particle board, which is not good quality. We actually have TWO Ikeas here in Philly, which is crazy to me that we need 2, lol. I personally do not like their furniture, but their store is amazing, filled with all sorts of home goods stuff. The kitchen cabinetry is much better quality than what you would buy for a bed or dresser. I had one of their platform beds for years and hated it - I gave it away for free during one of my apartment moves in Syracuse. Most of the stuff that's in the store you actually can't buy online, especially all the home good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area