Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:08 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times

Advertisements

Stop exaggerating Sean. You don't even live here. Also, it's Pavone's, not Pazone's.

Also, the snow gets taken care of in a timely manner. So, it's not like the world ends in the winter. It also varies in terms of snowfall.

As a young person, look into Westcott/University, the village of Liverpool(or close by), Eastwood, Downtown and Tipperary Hill, among a few other possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 05:11 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,593 times
Is it ok to post a Wikipedia link??

I found one with a movie mentions of Syracuse.

I have to say I've not heard of nearly any of them but it does say this seasons Criminal Minds has alot of Syracuse. I love that show.

I hope its not like Oneida's big TV show. Law and Order was in Oneida (I'm not sure if they actually came here) and the bad guys brother was a professor at Oneida University. HUH??

Old 07-03-2011, 05:13 PM

By the way, where are you coming from? You might like Little Italy or the Prospect Hill area near St. Joseph's Hospital. That would put you closer to Downtown.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Pavones, yeah thats it. I really really like that place. Been afew times and the guy that seems to run it really makes us feel welcome.

But you do know I'm not kidding about the building right?? Check it out. It has trees growing on the roof.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
I am a 24 y/o RN who is moving to Syracuse and sometimes I feel as though the area has no identity, no real history.

Cities in the northeast which are comparable in size and population, such as Pittsburgh PA, Providence RI, New Haven CT, all have rich histories and identities that the people who reside there feel great pride in. Pittsburgh has its industrial history and its forested mountains. It has a dynamic economy and a strong healthcare and university system. Providence has its historical buildings and New England beauty, and an Ivy League university. New Haven has its strong political connections and its closeness to NYC. It also has Yale. Syracuse has... what? It's an island in the barren fields of upstate NY with a decent private university. Movies are filmed and set in these other medium sized cities, because of their rich identities that people nationwide are familiar with. When was the last time a film was set in the plain, grassy fields surrounding Syracuse?

Syracuse's history amounts to a whole lot of people moving into the area in the mid 20th century and then leaving a scant few decades later. Downtown Syracuse is a ghost town and it shows. Everything about Syracuse simply screams "unremarkable."

What do you think? Use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the weakness of the identity of Syracuse. Or, if you disagree, use this thread to talk about the strengths of the identity of Syracuse.

I think you haven't studied the history of Syracuse at all

The story of the Onondaga Indians alone gives Syracuse a very rich, fascinating history.

Then there's the importance of the salt springs discovered in Syracuse back in the late 1600's which provided the majority of salt to this nation from its commercial productions for almost 200 years

Add to that the history of the Erie Canal, which passed right thru the center of Syracuse and was invaluable in the enormous growth of population and wealth in New York State at the time, and the history of Syracuse University as a major research university and there's quite a bit of historical importance to Syracuse.

The inner core of the city itself has seen better days, yes.

But the outer surrounding area in Onondaga County is quite pleasant and really beautiful in many spots.

I've been to Pittsburgh and while its center city has a bit more going on, you can hardly say its surrounding environs are any prettier than those around Syracuse.

You think Syracuse screams "unremarkable", but after spending some time there I think Syracuse is very reamarkable for the loyalty she inspires in her natives and long time residents. People who live there, love it there. People who live there don't want to live anywhere else.

THAT is saying something.

THAT is remarkable.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Pavones, yeah thats it. I really really like that place. Been afew times and the guy that seems to run it really makes us feel welcome.

But you do know I'm not kidding about the building right?? Check it out. It has trees growing on the roof.
I'm never sure where the truth is with you... or if it's pure exaggeration. BUT- the city is actually pushing for green rooftops for a myriad of benefits. I'm not sure where they're located (since obviously, I don't regularly FLY over Syracuse) but they exist. Seeing such a roof is a sign of growth, not decay.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

I know what you are talking about. It's an old brewery, I wouldn't say it is a common site.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:20 PM

If you go to the State Tower and ask nicely they will let you go as high as IIRC the 19th floor.

From there you can see at least one and I think two roof top gardens.

BTW when someone puts (sp) after a word it means they are not sure how its spelled.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Great and honest post, lovesMountains. Here's some great websites to look at: New York's Creative Core

Untitled 1

Yestercuse: The Rise and Fall of Syracuse (outdated, but has some good information)

Onondaga Nation - People of the Hills

Preservation Association of Central New York

Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,471 times
You are young and in a position that is in high demand. Do yourself a favor and look for a job somewhere else. I also moved here for a job and I have been here much longer than expected. Even if you have a higher cost of living somewhere else, it is worth it. I can say that when I do leave, I can't think of a single reason to come back. I have had people come visit me here and every single one of them have said they would never move here....and that was during the summer which is the nice part of the year here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area