Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 AM

29 posts, read 37,526 times

Advertisements

The moving truck comes 8/23! We are NY bound ! Yahoo! My only issue was with getting a mortgage, you can't even imagine what I had to do! I work from home and had to write and essay about what I did that allowed me to work from home. I have worked for the same company for 13years~! Then the best part, (I did pitch a fit but had to write it!) was an explanation of my child custody agreement with my ex-husband (who lives in Camillus so not really sure what the issue was??)

For your enjoyment here is the banks request:

A letter signed by you explaining in detail why you are relocating from Florida to New York and how you plan to continue your employment without interruption. Please include a general explanation of the responsibilities of your job and how you are able to work from anywhere remotely. Also, include a statement explaining the terms and circumstances of your child custody arrangements. Include the agreed visitation rights that will be in effect when you move to New York.

It was HELL for four weeks with an almost perfect credit score and great job history the banks are CRAZY! They wanted something new everyday.

It is almost over.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 12:09 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,462 times
The good news is that banks in this area are historically conservative on such lending. We had close to zero impact locally from the sub-prime mortgage fiasco (granted - we have a market with low housing costs that isn't ripe for speculation - that was another factor.) You'll find out housing market to be slow and steady with incremental increases in value year after year. but few spikes or plunges. The market for houses in the $100K to $200K range is particularly strong, stable and not subject to many vacillations. the exception, which you've already discovered, is when a house is on the market at too high a price or hits the market at the wrong time of year. Houses on my street that were put on the market in the past month are already begin reduced to prompt movement. Houses that were listed late February through April mostly sold within a few weeks at the asking price.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:32 PM

the exception, which you've already discovered, is when a house is on the market at too high a price or hits the market at the wrong time of year. Houses on my street that were put on the market in the past month are already begin reduced to prompt movement. Houses that were listed late February through April mostly sold within a few weeks at the asking price.

The price wasn't an issue it was only on the market for 11 days and appraised fine. It was the crazy big bank and how they had me jumping through hoops to approve me. In the end it worked out, but it was a lot craziness.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:22 PM

655 posts, read 2,327,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaynever View Post
the exception, which you've already discovered, is when a house is on the market at too high a price or hits the market at the wrong time of year. Houses on my street that were put on the market in the past month are already begin reduced to prompt movement. Houses that were listed late February through April mostly sold within a few weeks at the asking price.

The price wasn't an issue it was only on the market for 11 days and appraised fine. It was the crazy big bank and how they had me jumping through hoops to approve me. In the end it worked out, but it was a lot craziness.
As was already said, our banks, credit unions, & mortgage companies here are Conservative in their policies and I believe that's one reason Our areas housing market is very stable compared to states like Florida, Arizona, Nevada, California & some others. In the long run, that is good for the sellers, the buyers, the builders, the developers, and the mortgage lenders; good for everyone. Yes, there may be a few more hoops to jump through, but it's good for all parts of the housing market; everyone can know that in all likelihood Our areas housing market won't collaspe or explode or burst or lose a third of the value of Our homes like has happened in many other States. Yes, our mortgage companies are methodical in their mortgage process approval; nothing speculative, no guess-work, everything spelled out in definite terms. All the "i's" must be dotted and "t's" must be crossed. That's why we don't have the bank or mortgage company failures that have widely happened in OTHER parts of the country.

I'm glad that the mortgage process is finished for you and you can now go on with everyday life with this aspect behind you. Good luck to you here in Syracuse.

grdnrman

Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 PM

Made it back! Drove from FL Friday and Saturday ahead of Hurricane Irene. The mortgage issues in NY has still been a nightmare, they have treated me terrible and I actually called a small firm to move my financing... I am so far along in the process and need to close next week I am staying with the bank and will refi ASAP.

I bought in Camillus, very impressed with my daughters school so far (Easthill) lots of contact already which I am not used to coming from FL. Interested to see how easily she adapts and compare the curriculum to FL.

Feels great to be back home, parents are very happy and nice to have Mom cooking meals for me when I get home from work .

Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 AM

60 posts, read 109,843 times
Easthill is an excellent school. You cannot even compare the quality of schooling your child will receive up here compared to FL.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumseig View Post
Easthill is an excellent school. You cannot even compare the quality of schooling your child will receive up here compared to FL.
Amen to that pumseig, the quality of schools here in Florida are mediocre at best! The link below is a bit dated, but not much has changed.

State: Schools still rank near the bottom

Old 09-04-2011, 07:13 PM

I am still not cleared to close on my house in Camillus. The processor was removed from my mortgage Friday, after she lost the contract and title ins docs. Mom has an Irish intuition that everything will be fine.

We did attend the Easthill orientation last week with Lisa Craig the principal. My daughter was very excited and asked a lot of important questions, like how they celebrate birthdays. :-)

Would love to be able to move next weekend! THANKS everyone for your positive thoughts and recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area