Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 7,323 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I was born & raised in the north country and am finally moving back to NY after 12+ years being down south. I will be working in East Syracuse and am trying to locate some housing in a safe neighborhood that is relative close driving-wise to East Syracuse. Thanks to my employer I'm moving on very minimal notice (2 weeks) and am scrambling to find a place quickly. I'm looking for a house and I have 2 dogs and a cat. This obviously knocks me out of contention for a number of places as my brother pointed out because they either don't take dogs or don't take dogs over 40 pounds.

I'm looking for a few things:

1. Suggestions of what parts of the city I should avoid. I saw a listing for McKinley park, and for the life of me can't remember who had said something (possibly a family member) but I think it was in reference to avoiding it... is this a good area to live? Where else should I look or avoid?

2. Does anyone have suggestions for good vets/groomers/dog boarding facilities near East Syracuse?

3. When I'm not working I'm also a clay artist... I'd like to find out about what facilities there are like college or parks & rec programs in the Syracuse area where people can get into open studio time for pottery or other associations of crafters in the area.

Any input would be appreciated... and if anyone happens to know of a property for rent that would be available by March 21st... please do tell.

Thanks!

Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,763,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKing75 View Post
Hi guys,

I was born & raised in the north country and am finally moving back to NY after 12+ years being down south. I will be working in East Syracuse and am trying to locate some housing in a safe neighborhood that is relative close driving-wise to East Syracuse. Thanks to my employer I'm moving on very minimal notice (2 weeks) and am scrambling to find a place quickly. I'm looking for a house and I have 2 dogs and a cat. This obviously knocks me out of contention for a number of places as my brother pointed out because they either don't take dogs or don't take dogs over 40 pounds.

I'm looking for a few things:

1. Suggestions of what parts of the city I should avoid. I saw a listing for McKinley park, and for the life of me can't remember who had said something (possibly a family member) but I think it was in reference to avoiding it... is this a good area to live? Where else should I look or avoid?

2. Does anyone have suggestions for good vets/groomers/dog boarding facilities near East Syracuse?

3. When I'm not working I'm also a clay artist... I'd like to find out about what facilities there are like college or parks & rec programs in the Syracuse area where people can get into open studio time for pottery or other associations of crafters in the area.

Any input would be appreciated... and if anyone happens to know of a property for rent that would be available by March 21st... please do tell.

Thanks!

Jenn
I suggest them often but especially because of pets and their owners... Townhouse East in Manlius. Just as a tip, their WRITTEN policy on dogs is just one and they have a sliding scale of extra to pay, depending on weight. They look the other way, however, for well-behaved animals... the office managers often cutting people short and saying things like "we allow ONE dog but wouldn't really know *on paper* that you had a second if it's not causing any problems." Pick up the poop so kids can play, clip their nails often so they don't damage the floors, keep the barking down, etc.

It's an affordable place, spacious (townhouse with three levels of 400sq.ft. each- basement is unfinished but a lot of people use it as a rec room because there's no water issue and it's fairly well-heated) and with washer/dryer available in your own basement and there are a few options for dogs to run around in nearby parks, trails, get flustered by geese and ducks, etc. lol. Well-behaved dogs aren't an issue in Manlius, it seems. Some people have dogs that stay right with their owners, without a leash, and they aren't bothered about the leash law. It isn't uncommon to drive by Dunkin' Donuts and see a dog - not tied up at all - patiently sitting outside the door while its owner is inside, grabbing coffee. And there's usually a cop car sitting in that parking lot... they don't have a problem with well-behaved dogs.

Your other option would be to just look on Craigslist for private-home rentals and look for their rules on pets. There should be plenty available in Eastwood and E. Syr. itself... it contains a massive percentage of two-family rentals. HTH!

For your artist's outlet, I'd suggest joining the YMCA for their great facilities for all manner of arts, including pottery. If you just want straight studio time, Feats of Clay is located two blocks from Townhouse East, in the Village of Manlius.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the response proulxfamily I've been combing CL for some time now... I'm used to seeing scammers and such but in all honesty it blows my mind how many spammers & scammers show up daily in the Syracuse housing available section. I currently live near Raleigh and we have our fair share but they have definitely added a level of difficulty in locating something for the move.

I hadn't heard about Townhouse East but will definitely check them out. My dogs are 60 & 80 pounds but are very well behaved and old enough to be well past all of the destructive puppy issues.

One other question.. I know this is probably easier to come by in Buffalo but do you know of any place in Syracuse that had good traditional Polish food? Its been years since I had some in Buffalo and I'd love to find a place a little closer to home to get some.

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:27 AM

93,546 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response proulxfamily I've been combing CL for some time now... I'm used to seeing scammers and such but in all honesty it blows my mind how many spammers & scammers show up daily in the Syracuse housing available section. I currently live near Raleigh and we have our fair share but they have definitely added a level of difficulty in locating something for the move.

I hadn't heard about Townhouse East but will definitely check them out. My dogs are 60 & 80 pounds but are very well behaved and old enough to be well past all of the destructive puppy issues.

One other question.. I know this is probably easier to come by in Buffalo but do you know of any place in Syracuse that had good traditional Polish food? Its been years since I had some in Buffalo and I'd love to find a place a little closer to home to get some.

Thanks!
For Polish food, check out Eva's European sweets in Solvay on Milton Ave. Very good food.....It's on the other side of town from East Syracuse.

As for potential places, you could check this website out: Syracuse, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale on Mapskrieg

You could possibly check the realtor websites like this one too: cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,763,039 times
As CKH said, check out Eva's in Solvay. It's on Milton Ave, I think... do you remember the back way to get to the State Fair, over the bridge. It's right by Singer's (karaoke bar.)

And be sure to go to the Polish Festival at Sacred Heart Basilica on the west side, in the summer. If you wander into the church (anytime, really), you can grab a bulletin and look for their bake sales for krusczycki and babka... sometimes they throw a polish dinner for the heck of it and those ladies make mean pierogi. I miss going to school there, just for the food. lol

eta: Found the info. for Eva's

1305 Milton Ave.
Solvay, NY 13209
(315)487-2722

Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,623,741 times
Welcome back to CNY. Here is a list of apartment complexes in the area:
Syracuse Apartments | Search Apartments in Syracuse NY

Prior to relocating back to the NY area, I lived at a pet friendly complex called Steeplechase in Camillus. If it wasn't for a new job opportunity, I would have stayed there indefinitely. Camillus is about 25 minutes from East Syracuse.
Steeplechase at Weatheridge Apartments for Rent | Camillus NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Here are some links to the local arts community:

Commercial Art Supply | The Art Store Syracuse - Rochester New York

Feats of Clay (Manlius)
Feats of Clay* - Home

Clayscapes Pottery (Syracuse)
Clayscapes Pottery

Artists Co-Op (Syracuse)
The Gear Factory Syracuse | Facebook

Here is a directory of galleries, venues, workshops, and other links pertaining to the arts in CNY:
cnyculture.com » CNY Arts Directory

Syracuse Arts Home

Old 03-08-2011, 12:08 PM

655 posts, read 2,329,506 times
Default Pet Friendly Apartments Syracuse, NY Area

Hello JKing75,

Welcome to Metro Syracuse!

I know its difficult to find a decent rental place in a safe, good neighborhood when you have a pet. When several pets are involved it may be even more difficult. Sometimes the only rentals available to pet owners are in undesireable, repeat crime areas of a city where robbers break into your rental home while you are away at work, steal your TV's, sound systems, appliances, etc. to make a quick profit at YOUR expense. AND what could be even worse is I'm sure you've heard about thugs in some cities stealing dogs and pets for dog fighting purposes. That would be heart-breaking for you if anyone did that to your pet dogs. Some people would say, "that won't happen in Syracuse". There's only 2 things that are definite in life; taxes and death! So I would caution you to try to rent a place in a good solid safe neighborhood.

Also, I would not try to keep your pets "hidden" from a landlord. When the landlord DOES find out about your "hidden" pets, you would be OUT ON THE STREET!

The rental place that "proulxfamily" told you about, Townhouse East in Manlius, would be a good safe place for you and your pets if the Landlord will accept your WELL BEHAVED pets.

TOWNHOUSE EAST=Manlius>>
http://manlius-newyork.olx.com/128-w...t-iid-44549566
http://www.morrisapartments.com/location/townhouse.htm (broken link)

The rental place that "RollsRoyce" suggested to you, Steeplechase at Weatheridge in Camillus (Pets Welcome), is a very nice rental complex in a SAFE wonderful "park-like" setting, suburban location.

STEEPLECHASE AT WEATHERIDGE=Camillus>>
http://www.bestapartmentsinsyracuse....nt/210751.html
http://camillus.olx.com/5625-w-genes...e-iid-44549557

Here's a couple rental places that I'd like to suggest. The description says pets okay; you'll have to check for details. I think that OF ALL the rental places listed by all of us, that High Acres Townhomes would be the best place for you with pets.

HIGH ACRES TOWNHOMES=Onondaga Hill (Syracuse)>>
Townhome-2 different styles-with or without basement, your own private front door entrance. This listing says big dogs welcome/2 pets maximum allowed only in Townhomes-not apartments. Maybe you can NOT MENTION the cat or board her out with a family member for a while. This is a nice suburban location on the southwest side of Metro Syr. Considering your pet dogs, I think you and the dogs could be very happy living here even though your commute to work would be a short drive away:=approx. 15 miles - part by expressway Rt. 481. That's the same distance from where I live in the northern suburbs to downtown Syracuse; not that difficult a 20 minute drive for a nice place for your WELL BEHAVED dogs and yourself to live in a safe location.
http://www.morgancommunities.com/apa...me=High-Acres-

SUBURBAN PARK APARTMENTS=Manlius>>
Their listing says pets okay. No rental price listed.
http://manlius-newyork.olx.com/100-s...s-iid-44549559

To see a street map for any of these rental properties, click on the following Link Line, enter the street and town address. Then click on "GET MAP". .. www.mapblast.com/

It's difficult finding a decent rental place when anyone has pets. I myself have 2 large dogs who I WOULD NEVER GIVE UP; fortunately I own my own home. I wish you and your dogs the best of luck in renting a good, decent, SAFE rental place; please do consider High Acres Townhomes.

Last edited by grdnrman; 03-08-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the input, I will definitely look into them all. I've got a possible in Oneida as well with a private landlord who seems to be cool with me and my herd so far and he knows about all 3 of them as well as my pottery kiln. My parents will be checking that place out on Friday but I'm getting rather nervous as we are leaving NC on March 20th and time is ticking away very quickly. I'm trying to not get stuck relying on only 1 option and have that fall through so I end up commuting from my brother's house an hour away and putting my stuff in storage while trying to work and find a place at the same time.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:59 PM

655 posts, read 2,329,506 times
Default Pottery & Pets

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I will definitely look into them all. I've got a possible in Oneida as well with a private landlord who seems to be cool with me and my herd so far and he knows about all 3 of them as well as my pottery kiln. My parents will be checking that place out on Friday but I'm getting rather nervous as we are leaving NC on March 20th and time is ticking away very quickly. I'm trying to not get stuck relying on only 1 option and have that fall through so I end up commuting from my brother's house an hour away and putting my stuff in storage while trying to work and find a place at the same time.
Hi JKing75,
I tried to find you a single family house rental close to Metro Syracuse that accepts pets etc. but most of those are well over $1200 a month--more than I'd ever spend; I could BUY a house for less than the HIGHER prices. I did not check towns like Canastota, Oneida, Sylvan Beach, Tully, Weedsport, Elbridge, Marcellus village, Auburn, Warners, Morrisville because I thought those towns would be too long a drive to East Syracuse.

Maybe you want to search this site. Enter this site then set the "Property Type" to "Residential Rental". Then set the "City" to >whatever town you want to search<. There are other settings if you want to employ them.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...ertySearch.asp

I hope something works out for you.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,532,184 times
While what proulxfamily said about Town House East regarding pets could be a great thing, I would be wary of not having anything in writing. If you were to move out and they wanted to get you for more money, they could say they never approved another pet. I like to think that everyone is good and honest, but you can never be too careful ESPECIALLY if it's a landlord/tenant relationship. I've had to cover my butt numerous times and it's just not worth it.

But I agree, your best bet probably is an independent owner through Craigslist. You may also want to contact some local realtors as many of them are also "property managers" for houses throughout the area. I have 2 dogs myself, so I know how hard it can be. Mine are both under 20lbs however, so I did have that advantage.

As for dog boarding, I use the Dog Gone Inn located in Manlius. It's a daycare/boarding facility - the dogs get to be out playing with each other all day long! I prefer that to typical kennel boarding and this place was the ONLY daycare WITH overnight boarding I could find. Leah, the owner, is absolutely fantastic and I know my dogs are always safe and having a blast with her! They just had a few days over there last week and they always come home and sleep for days becuase they're exhausted!

I'm not too familiar with East Syracuse, as I've been in Liverpool since I moved here, so I can't give advice on those areas really. But I wish you lots of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area