Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:12 AM

9 posts, read 13,909 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of moving from Brooklyn, NYC to Syracuse NY. My sister in law just moved to Syracuse about two years ago. The reason I decided to move is because the cost of living is OUTRAGEOUS. I live in a one bedroom apartment and pay 1,167.00 utilities are not included, besides rent I have to pay car note, insurance, food, child care and other necessities. With two boys its getting very hard to maintain this cost of living. and I want to move as soon as possible, hopefully by the middle of October. I dont know much of Syracuse but I want to live in a area that is close to school,daycare, shopping and most of all I want to live in a neighborhood that is SAFE. My sister in law lives on Clairmonte Aveue right next to Onondaga Park. It looks like a nice, quiet neighborhood but I've only been there a few time and I dont know if that is a good area. Can someone PLEEEASSSEEE give me advice on what area I should look for apartment anywhere from 6-650, also should I look for a place where my sister in law lives.

Thanks!

Last edited by Lizgar; 08-13-2011 at 01:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Where she lives is in a nice part of the city. Do you want to live close to her or does anywhere in the Greater Syracuse area work? Here's a couple of good websites for apartment searching in the area: MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Syracuse Apartment Rentals | Syracuse NY Apartment Finder

Is there anything else you are looking for in a neighborhood/community?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 AM

Hi Ckhthankgod,

Thanks for the advice, I would like to live close to her since I dont have family out there, just her. My biggest concern is the community, shopping areas, most importantly SCHOOLS. That is my biggest concern, How are the school districts ? As far as work, its not the same as New York City. From what I've seen in syracuse they make it harder for you to get a job then NYC. In NYC you just go to one interview and they will call you in a week and let you know whether you got the position or not. In Syracuse I have to go through several interviews to get a job. I love to take my boys out so I need to know about where I can take them to have a good time.

Last edited by Lizgar; 08-13-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizgar View Post
I defitnetly would like to live close to her. What gets me a little nervous is when I get off the highway I have to go through the rough neighborhood before I go up the hill. I would like to go another route.
I'm guessing that you are going down Geddes Stre.et. What you can do is take a right onto West Genesee Street and take that to Avery Avenue, where you take a left onto Avery. Avery becomes Velasko Road and from there, you take a left onto Stolp, which takes you to Clairmonte.

You could look into apartment complexes like High Acres or the Meadows on Onondaga Hill. Both are close to her and are in the very good Westhill SD. I will say that if you prefer a more diverse area, it isn't that, but if it doesn't matter, then I'd say go for it. You are still close enough to Syracuse that you can to the things that are there in a short time. Woodhaven Apartments and Winkworth Apartments on Onondaga Boulevard are also in the Westhill SD and is close to your sister in law. There is some shopping down the street in the Western Lights shopping center too.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:17 AM

What can you do for work? This website can give you an idea as to what is available: Central New York Jobs

Also, if you have questions about Westhill, just ask. That's where I went to school and my parents still live in the area.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:26 AM

I can work in administrative or work with preschool children with disabilities. I know the pay is not the same as NYC

Old 08-13-2011, 11:28 AM

I was looking into schools and I saw this school called Robert K school and I've seen the reviews and so far they were pretty good. I saw some private schools and the comments were pretty good online but the I know they must cost a lot.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizgar View Post
I can work in administrative or work with preschool children with disabilities. I know the pay is not the same as NYC
Maybe look into Syracuse University, LeMoyne College, the area hospitals and many other companies for admin work. If you want to work with children with disabilities, you could look into the Jowonio School, Enable and maybe Liberty Resources, among some other possibilities.

As for Roberts, it is one of the better Syracuse City SD elementary schools. So, that might work. There's also Southside Charter Academy, which is alright. I believe that the Syracuse Academy of Science is starting an elementary school level in the old St. James Catholic elementary school in the South Valley neighborhood soon and that might be an option that is pretty close. There's also Faith Heritage, a K-12 Christian school also in the Valley(North Valley) that is pretty close, but tuition is something that people have to consider. Most Holy Rosary is right by your sister in law and is a good Catholic school.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-13-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 04:41 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
you might want to take a look at this place for work. elmcrest

Old 08-13-2011, 06:15 PM

Thank you I need something as soon as possible. I was also thinking of moving to Manlius, I heard a that its very nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area