Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,463 times

Advertisements

My dad and stepmom are coming into town on Saturday and they were talking about possibly going shopping in the afternoon. I'd rather hit up some cool/boutique shops than take them to Carousel or one of the malls, so I figured we could check out the shopping scene in downtown Syracuse. I've actually never been down there to shop before - can anyone recommend good areas to park and/or start out at? We like funky stores like Urban Outfitters, so I figure we will definitely make it a point to stop there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
If I'm not mistaken, there should be free parking on the street and depending on when you go, there should be some in the Armory Square area. Perhaps you could park in Hanover Square or near the Amos Building too.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
My dad and stepmom are coming into town on Saturday and they were talking about possibly going shopping in the afternoon. I'd rather hit up some cool/boutique shops than take them to Carousel or one of the malls, so I figured we could check out the shopping scene in downtown Syracuse. I've actually never been down there to shop before - can anyone recommend good areas to park and/or start out at? We like funky stores like Urban Outfitters, so I figure we will definitely make it a point to stop there.

Thanks!
Definitely stroll through Armory Square - Urban Outfitters, Eureka Crafts, maybe Soundgarden.

Parking on Saturdays at meters is *not* free, though it is on Sundays. Street parking on Saturdays can be a little nuts around Armory Square but there are perimeter lots that are usually reasonable.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:51 AM

Great, thank you both!! Looks like we'll plan on parking around Armory, start in that general area and see where we end up

Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Definitely stroll through Armory Square - Urban Outfitters, Eureka Crafts, maybe Soundgarden.

Parking on Saturdays at meters is *not* free, though it is on Sundays. Street parking on Saturdays can be a little nuts around Armory Square but there are perimeter lots that are usually reasonable.
Thanks for clearing that up, as I wasn't completely sure about Saturdays.

There some boutiques that you or your stepmom might like and Mr. Shop, is a high end men's clothing store. Modern Pop Culture is another clothing store. This should help give you some ideas: Downtown Syracuse

Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 AM

107 posts, read 219,430 times
I live downtown and have never gotten a ticket on Saturday...EVER (and i've parked my car on the street all day every Saturday for the past 3 years). Technically if you read the sign on the parking stations you are supposed to pay on Saturday. But from what i can tell no parking tickets are enforced anytime outside of the hours of 9-6 Mon-Fri.

I've found that you can almost always find a spot in the diagonal parking next to Jefferson Clinton Commons.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 AM

We'll probably shoot for a lot or a garage - I know my dad would be more comfortable that way than parking on the street.

CKH - thanks for the site! Lots of cool shops down there!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:05 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,588 times
Garage or lot parking is probably no more than $3 to $4 for the day. On street parking is easy to find if you don't mind walking a block or two to get to Armory Square - you can park in loading zones or 12 minute zones after 5 PM or on weekends and event though the Pay Meter boxes say that there's a charge for parking on Saturday... the City Parking Enforcement people do NOT work on weekends!

The rules for downtown parking (I've done thsi for 30 years and never gotten a parking ticket)

1) Never ever block crosswalks, park in No Standing zones or use a Handicapped space if you don't have the tag.

2) Always pay for a metered space Mon - Fri from 8:30 AM until 4:30 or 5 PM.

When in serious doubt pay the $3 or $4 for a pay lot (when it's 5 degrees and windy I don't expect my GF to walk two blocks to the restaurant or venue in a skirt and shoes - we pay to park.)

Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
Pay Meter boxes say that there's a charge for parking on Saturday... the City Parking Enforcement people do NOT work on weekends!
This! I always chuckle at the people who pay the meter on weekends.

Hopefully this won't matter this weekend, but it there are snow mounds from the plow, don't park on the street. The snow makes the roads even more narrow than they already are and I have come out to a smashed mirror and a busted taillight.

During the week the Meter Maids are in full force. One of my vendors got a ticket last week for parking more than 12 inches from the curb. The curb was busted up and in rubble in the street, so he had to park a little farther out. They are not very welcoming at all. Just ask local businesses.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post

During the week the Meter Maids are in full force. One of my vendors got a ticket last week for parking more than 12 inches from the curb. The curb was busted up and in rubble in the street, so he had to park a little farther out. They are not very welcoming at all. Just ask local businesses.
Welcoming? They aren't greeters. They're enforcement officers who are charged with ticketing people who choose not to obey modest rules.

The parking "problem" blows my mind. As Phaelon said, it shouldn't be a problem to park a car downtown regularly for decades without earning a ticket; all it takes is a small bit of common sense. (If I saw that the city left the gutter in such condition that I couldn't park safely within twelve inches of the curb, I'd go find one of the other hundreds of spaces within a two-block walk. Or, better still, pay a couple dollars and put it into a garage.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area