Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrosine View Post
I'm more interested in the unemployment level that will be reported at the end of the next quarter. Right now there is a lot of projects that are beginning to start that should add significant jobs to the area. Upstate is going to open the new biotechnology center and will add construction jobs on a lot of their projects, Syracuse University will also start several new construction projects, and most importantly the new part of the mall will be opening which should definitely add jobs to the area. I think this view is reflected in the forecast that Forbes is showing. The increase in unemployment is worrying, but I think the economy is on an upswing (baring another jolt like the Arab Spring or the Japanese Tsunami).
There has been very little recent coverage on the biotech center aside from construction related news. Does SUNY Upstate plan to actively recruit startup biotech firms to Syracuse or hope they land on their doorstep as is typically the mentality of local leaders. The BRC website is pretty boilerplate and doesn't really provide a compelling reason to relocate or establish operations. When initially proposed about 10 years ago, the project seemed far more ambitious but was ultimately downsized considerably due to a lack of state funding. I almost wonder if SUNY Upstate is going along with project in the 11th hour simply because some state money is still available and it gives the appearance local institutions are doing something to commercialize new technology and improve the economic prospects of the area. The Center of Excellence has certainly fallen short of that goal. In the last decade, Buffalo has experienced respectable growth in the number of small life sciences companies. Several have even become publicly traded. Contrast that with Syracuse which has lost jobs in its biotech sector with the significant downsizing of Bristol Myers Squibb and the decision several years ago to establish a new facility near Worcester, MA that will ultimately assume many of the functions currently performed in Syracuse.

It almost seems too little too late. Growing the life sciences sector has never really been a priority of local leadership aside from lip service. Syracuse-based Medtech, a nonprofit which was supposed to grow and support the life sciences industry in CNY ultimately expanded its geographic footprint to include Rochester, Albany, Ithaca and Buffalo and now provides virtually no benefit to Syracuse. I apologize for having such a morose attitude on the Biotech Center, however actions speak louder than words. During the "groundbreaking" of the Kennedy Square redevelopment project in December, Upstate President David Smith said the university was negotiating with "several" high tech companies including one that could potentially occupy multiple acres of land. In typical fashion, the local rag, otherwise known as The Post Standard has made no follow up and I assume Mr. Smith now has more pressing issues such as trying to comply with LCME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
There has been very little recent coverage on the biotech center aside from construction related news. Does SUNY Upstate plan to actively recruit startup biotech firms to Syracuse or hope they land on their doorstep as is typically the mentality of local leaders. The BRC website is pretty boilerplate and doesn't really provide a compelling reason to relocate or establish operations. When initially proposed about 10 years ago, the project seemed far more ambitious but was ultimately downsized considerably due to a lack of state funding. I almost wonder if SUNY Upstate is going along with project in the 11th hour simply because some state money is still available and it gives the appearance local institutions are doing something to commercialize new technology and improve the economic prospects of the area. In the last decade, Buffalo has experienced respectable growth in the number of small life sciences companies. Several have even become publicly traded. Contrast that with Syracuse which has lost jobs in its biotech sector with the significant downsizing of Bristol Myers Squibb and the decision several years ago to establish a new facility near Worcester, MA that will ultimately assume many of the functions currently performed in Syracuse.

It almost seems too little too late. Growing the life sciences sector has never really been a priority of local leadership aside from lip service. Syracuse-based Medtech, a nonprofit which was supposed to grow and support the life sciences industry in CNY ultimately expanded its geographic footprint to include Rochester, Albany, Ithaca and Buffalo and now provides virtually no benefit to Syracuse. I apologize for having such a morose attitude on the Biotech Center, however actions speak louder than words. During the "groundbreaking" of the Kennedy Square redevelopment project in December, Upstate President David Smith said the university was negotiating with "several" high tech companies including one that could potentially occupy multiple acres of land. In typical fashion, the local rag, otherwise known as The Post Standard has made no follow up and I assume Mr. Smith now has more pressing issues such as trying to comply with LCME.
I hope you are wrong, I have always complained about major annoucements before all ducks are in a row. To be fair, it would seem odd for SUNY Upstate to pull out of Loguen Crossing after it received major coverage (Lt. gov, site plans, etc.) and economic development funding. The CNYBRC web-site has been somewhat updated. Open link, then click lower right hand corner "Brand new facility: Openning 2012" which will direct you to some investor admission criteria. If Loguen Crossing goes beyond the recently completed Biotech Center, remains to be seen.

Welcome | Biocenter | SUNY Upstate Medical University

Regarding BMS and Worcester, MA, late Sen. Kennedy won out over Sen. Schumer in that competition. I think the Clay Business Park was offered as a location.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 PM

84 posts, read 124,955 times
The idea behind the biotechnology center is to move things that are being developed in the labs at Upstate toward a product that could be used by the public. This is a good idea, however, like you, I'm unsure how fleshed out this plan is. I fear that Upstate has been a little too aggressive in its expansion plans and has let this building fall to the wayside. Hopefully when it is done there will be some more interest in seeing it become productive. I know that there are people at Upstate who are looking for companies and researchers to fill the building, but I'm not sure as to the success they are having. In its effect on unemployment, I was mostly talking about the Loguen's Crossing construction that should begin this spring.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrosine View Post
The idea behind the biotechnology center is to move things that are being developed in the labs at Upstate toward a product that could be used by the public. This is a good idea, however, like you, I'm unsure how fleshed out this plan is. I fear that Upstate has been a little too aggressive in its expansion plans and has let this building fall to the wayside. Hopefully when it is done there will be some more interest in seeing it become productive. I know that there are people at Upstate who are looking for companies and researchers to fill the building, but I'm not sure as to the success they are having. In its effect on unemployment, I was mostly talking about the Loguen's Crossing construction that should begin this spring.

Agreed. Hopefully the Loguen's Crossing project will take off.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I hope you are wrong, I have always complained about major annoucements before all ducks are in a row. To be fair, it would seem odd for SUNY Upstate to pull out of Loguen Crossing after it received major coverage (Lt. gov, site plans, etc.) and economic development funding. The CNYBRC web-site has been somewhat updated. Open link, then click lower right hand corner "Brand new facility: Openning 2012" which will direct you to some investor admission criteria. If Loguen Crossing goes beyond the recently completed Biotech Center, remains to be seen.

Welcome | Biocenter | SUNY Upstate Medical University

Regarding BMS and Worcester, MA, late Sen. Kennedy won out over Sen. Schumer in that competition. I think the Clay Business Park was offered as a location.
I'm sure SUNY Upstate isn't going to pull out of the project but I wouldn't be suprised if it get's delayed. Making announcements before papers are signed is classic in this area. All of the noise Chuckie Schumer made on the proposed nanotech plant at Electronics Parkway seems to have subsided. Remember all of the back patting and self adulation CenterState CEO made about attracting Haledyne, Cleveland-based startup firm that committed to adding 100 jobs and relocating to the Tech Garden? Haledyne's website has now been disconnected. The CEO left the company is now managing another startup in NE Ohio.
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...edical_co.html
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-zak...b-a/21/32a/8b0

The other two companies that CenterState CEO took credit for attracting to Syracuse were simply one or two person operations interested in free advice, cheap office space, and good publicity.

Canadian, German firms launch U.S. headquarters in Syracuse | syracuse.com

Old 03-14-2012, 06:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
I'm not really sure what the future brings so I don't know how I would have voted in this poll.

Syracuse is the 5th most pessimistic metro out of 190 in the US. People in this metro, in which I live, hold out less hope then Utica but much more then Binghamton.

Provo-Orem, Utah, Leads U.S. Metro Areas in City Optimism

Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I'm not really sure what the future brings so I don't know how I would have voted in this poll.

Syracuse is the 5th most pessimistic metro out of 190 in the US. People in this metro, in which I live, hold out less hope then Utica but much more then Binghamton.

Raleigh-Cary does not surprise me at all. Such an optimistic place to live. If you ever make fun of that area to a local, especially if they know you are not "native" to the area, or a damn yankee, you take the risk of being severely ostracized.

When I lived in Queensbury, I would tell people there how much I wish there was a Wegmans there. Everyone agreed and grumbled about how much Price Chopper sucked for organic foods. Down there, I once said that I wish there was a Wegmans, and I was told not too kindly to go back to where I'm from and "don't let the door hit ya" type of BS.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
What's with Lancaster, PA as #1 on that list? Geez that area sucks.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 PM

93,374 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

I think it depends on who you talk to and what they know or don't know is going on.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I almost wonder if SUNY Upstate is going along with project in the 11th hour simply because some state money is still available.
I think this explains why there is so much construction going on right now. State and Federal funding has been the only reason there has been so much activity in this area. None of them want to miss out on free money and know it will all dry up eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area