Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 05:17 PM

12 posts, read 19,007 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking into buying a house in Cicero and were wondering how the North Syracuse school district is. We have done some research but seem to get mixed reviews. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 PM

70 posts, read 125,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyAnn View Post
Hello,

We are looking into buying a house in Cicero and were wondering how the North Syracuse school district is. We have done some research but seem to get mixed reviews. Thanks!
Generally considered middle of the road. All suburban school districts in New York State are decent so if you have a your heart set on a particular house don't worry about it. I've never heard of anyone not buying in this district because of the schools.

If the parents are involved and the child puts forth effort you can get a good education there just as anywhere.

Be advised that the district is very large, and this is felt especially in the higher grade levels (junior high/senior high). Graduating classes are usually between 700 and 800 students.

Being a larger school does provide for more opportunities, and the sports and music departments are well regarded.

If you have not completely fallen in love with the house in Cicero, take a look at West Genesee, Baldwinsville, Fayetteville-Manlius or Liverpool. These districts are somewhat smaller but offer many of the same extra-curricular activities.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:25 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedisciple View Post
Generally considered middle of the road. All suburban school districts in New York State are decent so if you have a your heart set on a particular house don't worry about it. I've never heard of anyone not buying in this district because of the schools.

If the parents are involved and the child puts forth effort you can get a good education there just as anywhere.

Be advised that the district is very large, and this is felt especially in the higher grade levels (junior high/senior high). Graduating classes are usually between 700 and 800 students.

Being a larger school does provide for more opportunities, and the sports and music departments are well regarded.

If you have not completely fallen in love with the house in Cicero, take a look at West Genesee, Baldwinsville, Fayetteville-Manlius or Liverpool. These districts are somewhat smaller but offer many of the same extra-curricular activities.
^This

I live in the district and a have daughter in elementary school who has special needs. So, it has been fine. Cicero-North Syracuse HS had an 88% graduation rate this past year, which pretty good considering that it is the 5th biggest HS in Upstate NY, grade for grade(if I'm not mistaken).

Like the post above mentioned, there are other options in the area that are good academically and have plenty of extra curricular programs as well.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Default Moving To Cicero NY. Good Schools-Reasonable COL-Affordable Homes-Convenient Shopping-Good Place To Raise A Family

Hello ZoeyAnn,

Cicero-North Syracuse School District is just fine. As "thedisciple" and "ckhthankgod" intimated, its important that the parents be involved in helping motivate their children to do well in school and that the children are serious and put forth good effort in their school work. The Cicero-North Syracuse School District offers its students all the "education-tools" to receive a good education; children just have to apply themselves to learn. Obtaining a very good education is key to a successful adult career, life, and to be employable and earn a liveable income or even better.

If you want the very best school district then you should look at Fayetteville-Manlius.

Buying a home in Cicero, in general, will be less expensive than buying a home in the Fayetteville-Manlius S.D.

Be sure when you buy a home, to check to see which school district your children will actually attend. Some children who live in the TOWNSHIP of Cicero (Brewerton area), attend Central Square Schools; some children living in Cicero TOWNSHIP may attend East Syracuse-Minoa Schools=I can't recall the exact school districts division lines right now.

I'm not sure what part of Cicero you have been considering or whether or not it would be a brand new built house. Just to let you know though, there are brand new-build homes being constructed right now on streets running off the following streets: off Lakeshore Road, off Whiting Road, off Cicero Center Road, off Island Road/Thompson Road, and a few home lots still available to be built on 3 separate streets off South Bay Road. These new homes start around a low of $160,000 to over $300,000+.

As a side note, in the last 4 or 5 months I've seen new relocated people to the Metro Syracuse area, they've bought/built new homes in one particular new home development which is located on a street off Lakeshore Road in Cicero. These are new families from Florida, Ohio, & South Carolina; that's what their personal vehicle license plates said and also the professional (Not U-Haul trucks) moving van companies trucks indicated on the outside of the trucks and the license plates. I think that people are moving to the Cicero area (& other Metro Syracuse suburbs) for good schools, reasonable home (new/existing) prices, quality of life, convenient shopping, and other numerous qualities.

If you are looking at existing homes that are a few years old, then you have many choices: price range, age-newer/older, neighborhood location, square footage size, near schools, near shopping, and more. There's too many developments to name them all but many existing homes are in developments on streets running OFF: Lakeshore Rd., South Bay Rd., Thompson Rd., Whiting Rd., Weaver Rd., Mud Mill Rd., McKinley Rd., Button Rd., & Brewerton Rd./Rt. 11. Check to determine which School District.

I don't know why there would be "mixed reviews" about the Suburban School Districts; I doubt any of them could be rated bad or sub-standard such as you might find widespread in certain other States.

Good luck to you regardless of where you decide to buy a home.

grdnrman

Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM

12 posts, read 19,007 times
Thanks so much for all your replies! We don't have kids ourselves yet but intend to rent out the house in about three years, so we wanted to make sure to be in a decent school district. I have seen many reviews about Manlius-Fayetteville, but we just didn't find any houses in our price class that we liked. We just got her from the West Coast where we had some excellent and some really bad school districts, but it seems overall schools seem to be pretty good out here.

We're excited to be here. People are sooo friendly out here

Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyAnn View Post
Thanks so much for all your replies! We don't have kids ourselves yet but intend to rent out the house in about three years, so we wanted to make sure to be in a decent school district. I have seen many reviews about Manlius-Fayetteville, but we just didn't find any houses in our price class that we liked. We just got her from the West Coast where we had some excellent and some really bad school districts, but it seems overall schools seem to be pretty good out here.

We're excited to be here. People are sooo friendly out here
Hello ZoeyAnn,

Welcome to Upstate New York from the West Coast.

Yes, the Fayetteville/Manlius area home prices can be a little expensive. That area is more Upscale and has excellent Schools. All our Suburban School Districts are rated from good to excellent=I'm not speaking about School Districts far away from the immediate Metro Area; altho some of those are good too.

This is my best advice to you. If you want to rent your house sometime in the future, it is my opinion that the best 2 areas for you to buy a house which is not more than 20 years old/or newer, is at either: 1.) the Soule Road - Route 31 - Expressway 481 area of Liverpool-north (so people can drive to the city/other areas on Expressway 481), OR 2.) the east side of Cicero on streets that run off Lakeshore Road/South Bay Road/Whiting Road. You will have no problem renting a nice well maintained home in those 2 areas.

Other people will suggest other locations to you but I know how good these 2 areas would be for you to easily rent your home. I'm not going to say where-NOT to buy a home=I'm just telling you the 2 best rentable areas.

I know one man who builds brand new homes off Lakeshore Road-Cicero and rents them very quickly for about $2000 a month=brand new.

If you have a 3 or 4 bedroom home with at least 2 bathrooms with a double garage would be good, in a nice newer neighborhood in the eastern part of Cicero, you won't have any trouble renting it. The same goes for the Soule Road area of Liverpool-north, near Route 31. Rents for a nice 3 bedroom home start at a low of $1250 per month to $1500 and up to $1800 for very nice older existing homes. Once the rent goes above $1800 a month, fewer people want to pay more. You could possibly get more than $1800 a month for a very large size home for a large family or for a brand new home. I would suggest you consider a rent from $1500 to $1800 a month; maybe you can charge more. Realtors will sometimes show your single family rental home to prospective tenants if you pay them a fee for their time.

Nice decent single family homes in nice safe neighborhoods and good schools are difficult to find to rent. If you buy a home in the 2 areas I've suggested, you will do just fine. Today I took a drive to a nice Cicero neighborhood where there are 2 separate lovely Contemporary homes for sale. One with asking price of $200,000 and the other one with asking price of $180,000. There is another "good buy" home on a different street off Lakeshore Road with a low asking price of $170,000. All 3 homes would be very desireable to rent to some responsible tenant. You might be able to offer and get one of these homes for $3000 to $4000 less than asking price.

Good luck to you. Feel free to contact me here or in private messages, anytime you have additional questions.

grdnrman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area