Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 AM

186 posts, read 634,807 times

Advertisements

So I wrote this long drawn out bla bla bla review and then decided to delete it. Here's the deal, after one year of being here we love it. My other half struggles a bit with the weather at times but she's used to nonstop sun shine to an extreme. Basically the weather is pretty unpredictable out here. It's literally minute by minute. Given that I spent a number of year living in Portland Oregon this isn't that big of a deal for me personally. I honestly expected way more snow than we got last winter. It did drag out a bit longer than I expected but we were fine. It seems most of the snow really builds up just north of Syracuse. When I say just north I mean it. Around the airport and north of that. Here in the city is was nothing to major. Nothing my front wheel drive Saab wagon couldn't handle with 4 snow tires. No studs or chains were needed at any point. The kids never had a snow day and life was never effected by the snow other than what you choose to wear outside and having to clean it up. My other half rides the bus to work and never had an issue with the bus because of the snow ether.

Beyond that nothing has really changes from my last review.

I Finally Made It!!!!

I love it here. I've started my own welding and fabrication business. I'd post the link to my website but I don't want to get in trouble for spamming the forum lol. Things have just been working out over all. It's so beautiful up here and if you love wild life you're going to love this place. It's so fun seeing all the babies in spring And the flowers!!!! Don't worry about having to plant flowers. Their going to grow on their own lol. All kinds of them.

Oh, I will bring something up that people coming from big cities should know. Syracuse is small. Like really small for a city. I honestly think of it as a very large town. As a result, major national events out here don't have the same wow factor as a major city (Forth of July and New years to be specific). Again I think of this place as a very large town. Not just because of the size but more so because of the people, all the mom and pop type businesses, and the a way people live out here. It's very rural feeling. It's a little strange coming from a major city like we did. However that leads to wonderful family holidays. If you're the type that like to party it up you'll love St. Patties day in this city. We're not big drinkers so the massive crowed of excessively drunk people was a major turn off for us as a family but I could see how others would think it's completely awesome.

As far as post winter city related topics go. There is allot or road construction after winter is over. It seems like the city really does their best to take care of as many issues as possible during the summer before winter hits again. This causes a little bit of traffic but still nothing even close to the level that I'm use to.

hmm... What else?

Oh city growth and potential. Keep in mind this is my first year here so I have no history seen through my own eyes to compare it to. However it does seem like Syracuse is about to take a turn for the better as far as growth and improving the cities image to people passing through. There is a major mall out here newly named Destiny USA. This is a very big mall. Even by big city standards. There are a ton of very large chain business moving into the mall that were never in this area before. It's attracting traffic to the city and in my opinion it's going to force the city to take the steps needed to clean up the down town area and the areas of town around the freeway system. It's honestly an eyesore to incoming traffic. It gives people a bad impression of Syracuse. In my opinion that's a major problem for the growth of this city. Once the city gets their butts in gear I could see major investment opportunities for people able and willing to buy up these pieces of property that have been left to fall apart.

Anyway I could go on and on and on but I'm not going to. If i did I'm pretty sure most of you wouldn't read it all anyway lol.

The bottom line is that we love it here. It was a great move for our family and I wouldn't change a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 07:44 AM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Good post and I think this could help quell some issues that posters that are relocating here may have. I hear you about some major streets/highway entrances in the area. I think some of it may have to do with the highway design and time of year/weather, among some other things.

Syracuse developed earlier and is more compact versus the more sprawled out nature of "newer" cities.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:21 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
So glad you are enjoying your life up here in the Syracuse area

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magicians Eye View Post
Oh, I will bring something up that people coming from big cities should know. Syracuse is small. Like really small for a city.
This is something I think is a huge thing that people not familiar with the area should know. People that come here thinking Syracuse will be along the lines of NYC will be thoroughly disappointed. I remember a previous poster here that kept complaining that it was nothing like NYC, there weren't enough bars, and the bars we do have close too early (2am as opposed to 4am), etc etc. Syracuse is not a big city nor does it pretend to be. I personally like the smaller size.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 AM

I agree. Not to big and not to small. This is a family town/city not a place where night life is really big. However it could be too small. Always visit before you move.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:25 AM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
What may help Syracuse is its location to major cities and outdoor offerings, as well as enough of the arts, sporting events, festivals, etc. As the steady momentum of what is going on in Downtown continues, as well as the possibility of other projects, it will be interesting to see what happens here.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good post and I think this could help quell some issues that posters that are relocating here may have. I hear you about some major streets/highway entrances in the area. I think some of it may have to do with the highway design and time of year/weather, among some other things.

Syracuse developed earlier and is more compact versus the more sprawled out nature of "newer" cities.

The condition and appearance of local highways, most notably the two foot tall grass, garbage, and poor signage on I-81, I-690 and I-481 is a major problem that needs to be tackled. Despite years of promises by the powers that be, the trashy look of the local highways and roads needs to be a priority. Syracuse and the surrounding region has plenty of natural beauty from rolling hills, lakes, rivers, farm fields, and thick woods. It's hard to appreciate this when interstate highways look so unappealing.

What business or professional would embrace an area with discarded junk and weeds lining highway medians and off ramps. How can the mayor, county executive, academic leaders and CenterState CEO claim this region is so collaborative if they still can't find a way to resolve this situation. As with most things, it will require money. Many people are tired of excuses. If the NYS DOT has cut back highway maintenance funds, then the county and city need to pick up the slack, because there are many days when one would be hard pressed to realize that more than $1 billion of investment has been made within the city limits over the past several years as so much of the redevelopment is obscured by filthy interstates. I'm not suggesting flowers need to be planted. Mowing highway medians and shoulders, picking up trash, and removing graffiti need to be done more frequently. Considering the amount of taxes people pay, I don't think this is asking too much.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 PM

60 posts, read 109,936 times
The last 2 winters have been freakishly mild. Just wait!

Old 07-16-2013, 02:49 PM

I'm not going anywhere lol

Old 07-19-2013, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,342 times
Yeah, we didn't get very much snow last winter. Honestly, though, I have no problem in a FWD Buick with 4 beefy all-weather tires in a bad winter. FWD is better than 4WD for driving in the snow. AWD is best. 4WD will only prevent you from getting stuck in the driveway. As long as the car has some weight to it and you go slow/use common sense, you're fine. Upstate NY has great snow removal capabilities, so a foot or two of snow here is the equivalent of about 6 inches a few states down.

I am pretty sure studs/chains on tires are illegal here, just FYI.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:03 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
That doesn't make any sense.

FWD is very good in the snow but not even close to 4WD.

I commute early morning long before the plows are out so I need 4WD. Wife goes in later after the plows and FWD hs fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area