Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are neighborhoods/communities in the area that haven't been suggested too much on here, but could or should be? There were some that I had thought about, but I was curious or wondered about if others had some in mind. What about these locations could appeal to someone in terms of criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:24 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,621,826 times
Fairmount 13219 (town of Camillus) - Reasonably priced Post WWII homes convenient to Wegmans, Route 695, and major shopping in a good school district. This is a compact community that has very high ownership rates, low retail vacancy rates, and neighborhoods south of West Genesee Street that have mature trees and lots of hills. Community General, Syracuse's only suburban hospital which is now affiliated with SUNY Upstate Medical University is only about 10 minutes away.

Westvale -13219 (town of Geddes) - Distinctive older homes with sidewalks and architecture similar to some of the most desirable city neighborhoods like Meadowbrook, Scottholm, and Sedgwick (albeit on a smaller scale) coupled with a very good school district and easy access to Route 695 and downtown. Western portions of the hamlet of Westvale are a short walk to one of the best Wegmans stores in CNY. A sidewalk leads down a hill behind the parking lot which allows nearby residents to avoid busy Route 5 (West Genesee Street). This store has a great upstairs eating area and a good selection of reasonably priced and freshly cooked takeout meals. An elevator and stairs lead up to the second floor of Wegmans and offer sweeping views of the hills.

Dewittshire Neighborhood -13214 (town of DeWitt) - One of the first neighborhoods in suburban Onondaga County that has some of the same architecture and sidewalks one would find in the city but with excellent public schools and close proximity to major highways

Camillus -13031 (town of Camillus) - The western part of Camillus has the hilly topography and lack of density one would find in more expensive towns like Pompey, Marcellus, Skaneateles, and the southern portion of the town of Manlius. There are newer developments on 1 and 2 acre lots with views of the Camillus hills. This community and its central location between Auburn/Skaneateles and Syracuse is a good compromise for dual income families with one spouse that works in Auburn or Skaneateles and another that works in downtown Syracuse, Liverpool, or DeWitt. I have seen several physicians that work at Auburn Hospital chose to reside in one of the more upscale neighborhoods like Pioneer Farms and the Ike Dixon Road area. Welch Allyn's world headquarters and R&D center in Skaneateles is also only a 15 minute drive to the southwest.

Arlington section of Eastwood - 13206 (city of Syracuse): This is a smaller neighborhood within Eastwood that is generally considered to be east of Midler Avenue, south of James Street, and west of Thompson Road. The homes in this section tend to be very well maintained and owner occupied with a lot fewer of the two-family and garden-level complexes that are common in other parts of Eastwood. The stretch of James Street in the Arlington section is much more low impact retail and includes home-based business and medical and insurance offices as opposed to the fast food joints, nail parlors and junk stores that line some areas of James Street in Eastwood west of Midler Avenue. There is also a good coffee house called Café Kubal in Arlington that is in a small neighborhood plaza that has been renovated and filled with better retail tenants.

Winkworth neighborhood - 13215 (city of Syracuse) - Bordering Onondaga Hill on the far western edge of the city, Winkworth is arguably one of the city's more suburban style neighborhoods. Aside from the Winkworth Garden Apartments, which are market rate units in the neighboring town of Onondaga, this neighborhood is somewhat unique in that it does not contain apartments and nearly all of the homes are single-family, owner occupied. There are even parts of some streets that fall within city and others that are in the town of Onondaga. The quality and maintenance of the homes regardless of the municipality is indistinguishable. For those that enjoy golf, the fairways of the prestigious Bellevue Country Club border some of the backyards in Winkworth.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:59 PM

Great list and Winkworth was one of the areas I was thinking of when starting the thread. What is interesting about Westvale is that parts of it are actually in the West Genesee SD and are close enough to walk to Burnet Park/Rosamond Gifford Zoo.

Winkworth's town of Onondaga portion is in the Westhill SD and for some reason, we don't mention Fairmount and Camillus that much.

Piercefield/the southern portion of Solvay comes to mind. It is close to plenty of shopping on West Genesee Street(Westvale Plaza/Fairmount Fair/Camillus Commons, etc) and is a straight shot into Downtown Syracuse. It has low utility costs, but watch out for property taxes and schools are OK.

I have another place in mind, but I'll hold off. There are some others that could come to mind too.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Great list and Winkworth was one of the areas I was thinking of when starting the thread. What is interesting about Westvale is that parts of it are actually in the West Genesee SD and are close enough to walk to Burnet Park/Rosamond Gifford Zoo.

Winkworth's town of Onondaga portion is in the Westhill SD and for some reason, we don't mention Fairmount and Camillus that much.

Piercefield/the southern portion of Solvay comes to mind. It is close to plenty of shopping on West Genesee Street(Westvale Plaza/Fairmount Fair/Camillus Commons, etc) and is a straight shot into Downtown Syracuse. It has low utility costs, but watch out for property taxes and schools are OK.

I have another place in mind, but I'll hold off. There are some others that could come to mind too.

A few others that come to mind are the villages of Elbridge and Jordan which are very walkable and have some real interesting historic homes. The village of Jordan has a small newly renovated grocery store, library, yoga studio, antique shops, and pizzeria in its downtown area which is along the Erie Canal and has a nice walking/biking trail. If someone doesn't mind being surrounded by a more rural area, both of these villages are affordable and have some interesting landmarks. I also like the village of Fabius which has even fewer amenities but is close to Highland Forest and has good schools.

In Cicero, there is an established neighborhood consisting of colonial, contemporary, split and ranch homes built in the 1960s to 1980s called Hiller Heights. Unlike some of the newer construction and complaints about "sprawl," this is a built-out neighborhood with generous lots that is close to major services, I-81, and retail along Route 11 but seems rather insulated from the bustling nature of that commercial corridor.

In the Salt Springs neighborhood of Syracuse, there is a nice dead-end street called Edgehill Road that has well maintained homes of various architectural styles. There are very few cul-de-sacs in the city and those who appreciate a diverse, middle to upper middle class street close to Le Moyne College, SU, and the hospitals should find this area appealing:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=161+e...ed=0CCoQ8gEwAA

Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 PM

Another good list. In the same vain of the Jordan, Elbridge and Fabius portion, Weedsport was the other community I had in mind for similar reasons. It does have Thruway access, which allows for quick highway access to Syracuse or the Northern suburbs. It is a straight shot down Route 34 into Auburn and Owasco Lake. It has very good schools with grad rates usually in the high 80's-mid 90's. It is a walkable village with a grocery store, some restaurants, a couple of banks and a couple of other stores, as well as the county fairgrounds.

Tully is another rural/small town village that is close to highway access, while being in a good location for those that may have a spouse that works in Cortland or Ithaca or may want to be closer to either of those communities. It also has good schools, but I don't think it has a grocery store any more. It is close to ski areas as well.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another good list. In the same vain of the Jordan, Elbridge and Fabius portion, Weedsport was the other community I had in mind for similar reasons. It does have Thruway access, which allows for quick highway access to Syracuse or the Northern suburbs. It is a straight shot down Route 34 into Auburn and Owasco Lake. It has very good schools with grad rates usually in the high 80's-mid 90's. It is a walkable village with a grocery store, some restaurants, a couple of banks and a couple of other stores, as well as the county fairgrounds.

Tully is another rural/small town village that is close to highway access, while being in a good location for those that may have a spouse that works in Cortland or Ithaca or may want to be closer to either of those communities. It also has good schools, but I don't think it has a grocery store any more. It is close to ski areas as well.

Weedsport and Tully are good choices. I've noticed Weedsport's schools are very high performing and consistently lead Cayuga County. I also like the town of Sennett and Owasco. In Oswego County, Minetto is a very nice area.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Weedsport and Tully are good choices. I've noticed Weedsport's schools are very high performing and consistently lead Cayuga County. I also like the town of Sennett and Owasco. In Oswego County, Minetto is a very nice area.
Minetto is interesting because it has that outdoorsy feel in parts where it looks like a great place for someone that likes to fish and it has some nice homes. It has the Drive In and is just outside of Oswego.

Hamilton may work in terms of wanting a small/rural town that has some things to do because of Colgate University. It was the fastest growing town in the metro area too. May be good for people that work at Turning Stone, Norwich or Chobani, as well as some of the nearby colleges. If you are willing to drive quite a bit, maybe Syracuse or Utica may be possible for work.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM

Another neighborhood/area that may work is the new Poolsbrooke development just inside the Madison County line within the good Chittenango SD. It is still close to shopping in Fayetteville and is off of Route 5. Could work for those that want a more rural setting, but still close to amenities.

Actually, the SW portion of the city of Fulton off of Route 48 has some nice, newer homes. It isn't too far from the high school and there is a grocery store in the area. It is closer to Syracuse than other parts of the city and may work for those that want a small city.
https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetvie...993214817,,0,0

Marcellus is a nice village with walkability and the Marcellus SD is good. It has a nice, big park and while it has a small town/rural setting, it is close to Skaneateles and shopping in Camillus. Route 175 takes you into Syracuse as well. https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetvie...207363996,,0,0

Auburn around Hoopes Park and on Lake Avenue has some really nice homes. Lake Ave isn't too far from Auburn High, Owasco Lake and the Merry-Go-Round Playhouse. Hoopes Park is in an area of Auburn not too far from its Downtown or Skaneateles. https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetvie...251968532,,0,0

https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetvie...212503689,,0,0

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-20-2013 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area