Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:48 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

What do you think are some underrated and overrated communities and/or neighborhoods in the Syracuse area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Underrated- Fabius-Pompey: It's just 20 minutes from downtown Syracuse. People act as though they're all hillbillies and it's soooooo far out. With all the traffic and congestion in the Cicero area, 20+ minutes isn't an uncommon amount of time to get home to either Cicero or Brewerton. The same goes for Canastota and Chittenango. Same distances... MUCH less expensive homes. And right off the Thruway, if you need to travel. The same time frame applies to Tully and LaFayette. Both viewed as "way out"... but aren't. They're just a straight shot down 81.

Overrated- Jamesville (what's there?), Westcott (yuppies wanting to be hippies and getting more pot smells wafting into their homes than they expected lol), F-M (stop sending snotty development-lovers here! :P Yes- there's a lot of land out here... but stop building cookie-cutter neighborhoods on ALL of it! lol), Cicero (should change name to Development-ville) and Sedgewick (vintage, high prices for inner city neighborhoods on the fringe or closer.)

Old 08-23-2009, 01:45 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times
Underrated: Camillus, Fairmount, Westvale, Marcellus, Village of Liverpool, Winkworth, Fabius

Overrated: Cicero, Brewerton

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 08-23-2009 at 03:04 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,437 times
I also gotta say I find Westcott overrated. Not for the cultural aspects, but... it's just not the safest neighborhood, especially with all the students living there it seems to attract a kind of shifty element. I don't like going there by myself, especially not at night. Nothing much has changed there since forever, which I understand might appeal to some people, but in a way it feels like a self-contained time capsule. It seems a stagnant, not growing place.

and no, I can't recommend a "funky" neighborhood as an alternative. Westcott is unique, at least in Syracuse.

I think Onondaga Hill and the Town of Onondaga is underrated, and seemingly for only one reason - the lack of a multilane bypass allowing you to avoid the city. Wha?

Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I also gotta say I find Westcott overrated. Not for the cultural aspects, but... it's just not the safest neighborhood, especially with all the students living there it seems to attract a kind of shifty element. I don't like going there by myself, especially not at night. Nothing much has changed there since forever, which I understand might appeal to some people, but in a way it feels like a self-contained time capsule. It seems a stagnant, not growing place.

and no, I can't recommend a "funky" neighborhood as an alternative. Westcott is unique, at least in Syracuse.

I think Onondaga Hill and the Town of Onondaga is underrated, and seemingly for only one reason - the lack of a multilane bypass allowing you to avoid the city. Wha?
As a person that grew up in Onondaga Hill, I'm kind of torn. I like it's location, but it isn't the most walkable place in the area. That's changing a bit though. It's safe and does have a grocery store, library, gas stations, Dunkin Donuts, a post office and banks in the middle of the community. You have OCC and the town of Onondaga offices there too. There is a park, but you pretty much have to drive to it and it is next to Hillbrook. It's in a good school district too.

As for underrated: Village of Liverpool, Marcellus, Village of Baldwinsville and the Fremont area of the East Syracuse-Minoa SD.

Overrated: Village Green(somewhat), Jamesville and Radisson(somewhat due to too many housing restrictions).

Old 08-24-2009, 07:09 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times
Underrated:

Marcellus

Salt Springs is an affordable racially integrated city neighborhood with excellent values in housing prices and is often overlooked.

Overrated:

Westcott neighborhood. I can safely say that because I grew up in that neighborhood and lived in it on and off for many years as an adult. I can still comfortably recommend it to some people provided they understand its unique characteristics.

Fayetteville - Manlius
Brewerton
Cicero
Clay

Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 AM

357 posts, read 968,329 times
I think this question is going to be personal no matter what because everyone has very different tastes and needs. Some people really love the Fayetteville area and wouldn't find it overrated or snobby at all while others find it to be exactly that. But I'll join in the conversation, here's my opinion -

Overated - Cicero, North Syracuse, Liverpool, Clay

Underrated - Lafayette, Tully, Pompey, East Side of the City

Old 08-24-2009, 11:23 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,783 times
IMO:

Overrated: Clay, Liverpool (outside of the village), Cicero, Onondaga Hill, Fayetteville-Manlius (except village of Manlius), Jamesville/Southwood

Underrated: Meadowbrook and the general east side of Syracuse, Camillus/Fairmount, Westvale, older parts of DeWitt.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:53 PM

81 posts, read 231,747 times
Funny...the general consensus forming in the thread is in complete contrast to what was actually recommended to me by realtors and locals that I happened to talk with(exception of FM).

Nobody ever recommended Clay or Cicero to me but I got plenty of recommendations for Liverpool, Baldwinsville, Marcellus, and Camillus, though.

Not saying any of that is accurate or inaccurate...just wanted to share the irony.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Funny...the general consensus forming in the thread is in complete contrast to what was actually recommended to me by realtors and locals that I happened to talk with(exception of FM).

Nobody ever recommended Clay or Cicero to me but I got plenty of recommendations for Liverpool, Baldwinsville, Marcellus, and Camillus, though.

Not saying any of that is accurate or inaccurate...just wanted to share the irony.
I agree!

I do not understand how anyone can say Clay or Cicero are overrated. Before I came on this forum I never heard one person even mention the towns of Clay or Cicero.

The only reason I've focused on them so much and took so many pictures of these communities was because I found they are so underrated. I was trying to show others that the northern suburbs aren't as low class as most people try to make them out to be.

Even now, there are people who live in the city who do not even know Clay or Cicero exists. My friend was telling me about someone he worked with that never heard of North Syracuse, Clay or Cicero when he was asked where he lived.

Just watch the local news. Seems like the whole local media is so eastern suburb and city centric. The Syracuse media is always making errors on the geography of the northern suburbs. For example a popular one is naming Cicero ... when they really meant to say Clay...... and the reverse also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area