Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 09:16 AM

4 posts, read 4,257 times

Advertisements

Hello,

my elderly mother has been living in a low income, senior community in upstate New York for over 15 years now. She has been a model resident and never had any issues with the previous property manager who has known her for those entire 15 years. Recently, that property manager left and a new one took her place. This new property manager is a bully and seems to get off on making the elderly tenants lives a nightmare. She calls the police on delivery people for not wearing a mask (even though it is no longer mandated in New York) has well as on the elderly tenants that live there. The police are tired of her antacts but they are still required to come when she calls. Many of these tenants have memory issues and forget sometimes to put the mask on even though they are vaccinated but this property manager doesn't care and writes them up anyway. She threatens them if it happens three times she will evict them. She even yelled at a police officer that they were "ruining her day" because they couldn't arrest a delivery person for not wearing a mask! I feel bad for these elderly people because they live in fear of her and of getting evicted with nowhere to go.

She has now set her targets on my 83 year old mother who has congestive heart failure. I live out of state and the only one that is available to help her (at least for now) with her groceries is my 20 year old nephew. This all started when my nephew came to pick up my mother for an appointment. He knew the mask mandate was over so he ripped up a "wear your mask sign" (which was completely stupid on his part and he never should have done that) and this made this unreasonable and highly unstable property manager see red. She told my mother she is going to call the police on him and he is never allowed to come in the building again! My mother tried to reason with her that she needs his help and the manager didn't care. The property manager sent her a lease violation for this. A month later, my mother needed groceries and my nephew brought her groceries in and was helping her to carry them in the house because she can't carry them herself to her third floor apartment. The manager sent the new maintenance man (who from what I have been told looks like an ex con) over to kick my nephew out. My nephew said the maintenance man was acting aggressively towards him and threatened to cause him harm. The police were called and from what I was told the maintenance man was fired for saying he was going to "cut up" my nephew. I spoke with one of the officers over the phone and he stated my nephew is allowed to drop off my mother but can't enter the building per the property manager. The very next day, my nephew came over to pick my mother up for her doctor's
appointment. The property manager saw his car and immediaetly called the police again, even though he didn't enter the building and the officer from the day before said it was ok! The police said he didn't do anything wrong and they left. This enraged the property manager even more so she immediately sent my mother another lease violation right after and told my mother she has to find another way for help or be kicked out. I really would like some advice on what to do and what my mother's rights are? On a side note: My mother has been living in the same apartment for 15 years with the same carpet and appliances and has put in request to have things replaced or repaired but her request have gone ignored.

Today, on 5/4. I was just informed by my mother, that her property manager, wants her to fill out 20 pages of paper work.
Much of the information she is asking for they should already have when she renewed the lease. Like her bank account information and personal finances like stocks, savings accounts, child support (mind you she is 83 years old and living in a low income senior community because she has no money. Many things she is requesting are things she has never had to fill out before and sounds like both an invasion of privacy and like she is trying to retaliate and could use it to makeup things about my mother. She wants my mother's emergency contact info, her public assistance verification, if she is a US citizen etc..(all of which she should have on file already) she wants to know all the states she has lived in and to sign an authorized release form for the police to check if my mother is a sex offender!?!?!? My mother nor anyone in our family has a police record and my mother worked at catholic charities for five years. If she was a sex offender, they never would have hired her! This women is so insane and harassing my mother over a torn poster! She is causing my mother, myself and the rest of our family an incredible amount of disstress which could kill my 83 year mother.

Thank you, Any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 09:21 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Is this in the Syracuse area and is this even serious?

Old 05-05-2022, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 4,257 times
Do you really think I would take the time to write a three paragraph post describing how insane this whole situation is if it wasn't serious???? This property manager shouldn't even be a property manager. This is extremely stressful and I am trying to help my mother and dealing with her crazy property manager. If you can help, please help. Otherwise, if you can't there really is no reason comment.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:18 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Is this occurring in the Syracuse area? Nevermind, you posted this in the MA forum too. So, I take that as a "No".

https://www.city-data.com/forum/mass...ly-mother.html

Old 05-05-2022, 06:00 PM

334 posts, read 264,061 times
Bella:
Your mother needs more help than a 20 yr. old nephew can give her, and her needs are only going to increase over time. She needs an adult to help her fill out paperwork that may be required and assist her with appointments and deliveries. Assisted living rather than an apartment may be required in the very near future. I will assume she has a social worker that placed her at this senior housing, so that office needs to be contacted to have your mother reassessed.

It seems you are getting all this information secondhand through either your mom, who appears anxious and upset and your nephew who may not be reporting accurately. You or a closer relative that is a responsible adult, needs to meet with the new manager and also have your mom's current health status and ability to live independently assessed. This is very stressful for you, I know. Best to manage it now and up close.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: