Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:15 PM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhWell... View Post
Ok,

So based on your responses, in terms of commute, quality and school districts JD, Westhill's Onondaga Hill area, FM, West Genesee and Caz (western side) seem to be the ones I should start with; then on a second level I can look at Clay, Lysander, B'ville and Skaneateles. Does this sound accurate?

I will try to stick with the 350 range and see what I can find in those areas, if need be, I can always look elsewhere.

It does seem like the STAR program (as 9square states) will issue a credit for the assessment on 30k of the property. If the assessment is done based on purchase price, this is always a plus. Anyways, maybe a non-sequitur, but has anyone had any experience with foreclosures in the area? Considering the pricing, is it even worth to go into that world?
You can look into foreclosures if you want to, but the Syracuse area during the heart of the recession had the lowest foreclosure rate for the top 100 metros. It also has one of the most affordable major housing markets in relation to median family income and median home price in the country according to the National Association of Home Builders. So, it may be a matter of finding something you want and afford in the right location.

Also, not to add another option, but the Poolsbrooke development in the Chittenango SD is a newer development just over the Onondaga County line into Madison County/town of Sullivan. It is off of Route 5 and is still pretty close to shopping in Fayetteville. So, that may be another area to keep in your back pocket of your search.

This is another good source to look at: HBA of Central New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 12:09 PM

This may help a little bit as well: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...tatedist2.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...syracuse1.html

Old 12-12-2016, 05:44 PM

51 posts, read 46,060 times
Thank you ckhthankgod!

I am aware of what rankings show, but tough to go against what FM shows, no? Cazenovia also ranks high, again the only concern there is with whether I can find an acceptable commute. JD seems to trail a bit, and I was unable to find the other towns (unless the districts are under a different name).

As you accurately state, I think it will be a matter of finding the right home.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you ckhthankgod!

I am aware of what rankings show, but tough to go against what FM shows, no? Cazenovia also ranks high, again the only concern there is with whether I can find an acceptable commute. JD seems to trail a bit, and I was unable to find the other towns (unless the districts are under a different name).

As you accurately state, I think it will be a matter of finding the right home.
I wouldn't say that it is F-M and everyone else, as the other top districts are highly regarded as well.

J-D is consistently a top 5-8 district in the area. So, we are talking centimeters not feet in that regard.

Westhill isn't a town, as it covers the Westvale portion of the town of Geddes and the Onondaga Hill, with some nearby portions of the town of Onondaga. West Genesee serves primarily the town of Camillus, along with parts of Westvale and the Taunton/Split Rock/Howlett Hill/parts of outer Onondaga Hill areas of Onondaga. I believe that a small portion of the Caz school district is in Onondaga County. Marcellus is kind of a sleeper, in my opinion.

You can search for homes by school district, which may cover parts of multiple towns.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about commute and focus more on the type of home you want.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:53 PM

Just curious, but is there anything else you are looking for in a neighborhood/community?

Also, here is some information from NAHB: http://www.nahb.org/~/media/Sites/NA...316.ashx?la=en

http://www.nahb.org/en/research/hous...ity-index.aspx

Old 12-14-2016, 05:34 PM

My wife and I live in the NY Metro area, and we do not need a nice downtown or an area to actually walk in, we are really comfortable getting in the car, driving a bit and going places (we MUST do that now every time we go anywhere). I think considering the move would already be a shock, I would not want to put my wife in a really isolated area (i.e. own 4+ acres and then when I am at work, have her feel insecure / lonely).

I think it comes down to:
Safety
Taxes
Schools
Commute
Feel of community
Overall quality of the neighborhood / resale value

I think these are really the only things we keep in mind at this point; anything additional we view as an added bonus. In other words, if we get a lakefront property, or a home with amazing views, then that is gravy. If the house is in a golf course, that is just a plus. I do not thing any of these are requirements for us.

Also, taking a quick look at the file you sent me, we would be going from the last area in the NE, to the 3rd in terms of affordability rank, so I think we want to make sure we maximize that.

Did this help at all?

Old 12-14-2016, 07:31 PM

A little bit...I think that any of the areas mentioned could work. So, it looks like it comes back to finding a place.

Could renting first be an option?

Old 12-14-2016, 07:53 PM

I definitely think renting first could be an option, but when I looked at realtor.com, there were very few options for rent and on top of that the ones that existed were very pricy when compared to buying something (even with an FHA 3.5% down loan).

Old 12-14-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I definitely think renting first could be an option, but when I looked at realtor.com, there were very few options for rent and on top of that the ones that existed were very pricy when compared to buying something (even with an FHA 3.5% down loan).
Would you consider a townhome until you can find a home that fits what you are looking for?

Old 12-15-2016, 05:50 AM

It definitely would (if it was the right size, look etc.) The main problem is that I have two dogs (not big, 20 pounds each), but rental properties in general are not overly anxious to rent to people with pets... Sorry, I should have mentioned that before.

That said, a townhouse with a small backyard where they can go out would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area