Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM

83 posts, read 249,389 times

Advertisements

More specifically, the northern part of Pompey where it shares the same school district as FM. My family are looking to move into FM, but frankly the real estate taxes are turning us off. From my understanding, Pompey is largely a rural area, although I'm not sure whether this description extends to Northern Pompey. We are not big country people, and would like to be close to places like Wegmans, restaurants, shopping, etc. Would we feel out of place with Pompey? Will our kids be made fun of in schools for living in Pompey? (silly I know, but kids can be very mean)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 03:37 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
It is more rural, but still close enough to shopping in Fayetteville and DeWitt via Route 92. That is where the bulk of the housing in Pompey within the F-M school district is located. I don't think you would be made fun of for living in the most affluent area of the metro. Oh the share! lol

Just keep tax exemptions in mind and if you want affluent/lower(ish) taxes and proximity to those other things, your best bet may be an affluent area of a solid/good SD like maybe North Syracuse or Central Square(particularly in Cicero or maybe even Clay). If you can get in, perhaps the village of Skaneateles too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-10-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 PM

10 posts, read 13,293 times
I would say your kids certainly will not be made fun of for living in pompey. However, from my experience the majority of it is more rural. Not always farms though, there are some farms, but mainly it's people with lots of land.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:17 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
I can't help with living in Pompey but remember under the new tax system the number you see listed for taxes is the number you will pay. If you get any STAR relief you may or may not get a check from the state in September. You no longer get a reduction on your bill.

My guess they are doing it this way to phase out the STAR program completely. Doing it this way will save alot of paperwork for banks when its dropped.

I know I'm to get a check in September but I haven't budgeted it in as I truly don't believe its coming. If it does I'll have some mad money.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I can't help with living in Pompey but remember under the new tax system the number you see listed for taxes is the number you will pay. If you get any STAR relief you may or may not get a check from the state in September. You no longer get a reduction on your bill.

My guess they are doing it this way to phase out the STAR program completely. Doing it this way will save alot of paperwork for banks when its dropped.

I know I'm to get a check in September but I haven't budgeted it in as I truly don't believe its coming. If it does I'll have some mad money.
Where are you getting this information from? https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...sessorinfo.htm

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-08-2017 at 07:12 AM..

Old 06-08-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy1234 View Post
I would say your kids certainly will not be made fun of for living in pompey. However, from my experience the majority of it is more rural. Not always farms though, there are some farms, but mainly it's people with lots of land.
The area of Pompey within the Fayetteville-Manlius SD is pretty much suburban/exurban housing developments south of the village of Manlius. this census tract covers the town of Pompey and if you'll notice at the northern portion of the tract/town line, there are some suburban housing developments that are in the F-M SD. Census Tract 015700 in Onondaga County, New York

Old 06-08-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where are you getting this information from? https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...sessorinfo.htm
From Albany of coarse.

All house sold in 2016 forward no longer get the old style STAR. IIRC 2015 may have been the start but for me it was 16.

It was all made clear to me at closing so I understood. But was shocking was a letter from the town saying I have lost all exemptions. So at that point I was a little concerned. Call to the Town tax lady cleared that up. I hadn't "lost" anything just moving forward all new buyers with get a check from Albany. So the towns are no longer involved.

I fully expect Albany to have some sob story why the checks can't be sent out but you never know.

So as people under the old STAR sell they will come under the new STAR and when its gone its gone. People under the old system that hang on to there homes will likely be grandfathered in but thats a guess.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
From Albany of coarse.

All house sold in 2016 forward no longer get the old style STAR. IIRC 2015 may have been the start but for me it was 16.

It was all made clear to me at closing so I understood. But was shocking was a letter from the town saying I have lost all exemptions. So at that point I was a little concerned. Call to the Town tax lady cleared that up. I hadn't "lost" anything just moving forward all new buyers with get a check from Albany. So the towns are no longer involved.

I fully expect Albany to have some sob story why the checks can't be sent out but you never know.

So as people under the old STAR sell they will come under the new STAR and when its gone its gone. People under the old system that hang on to there homes will likely be grandfathered in but thats a guess.
Where does it say that about homes sold after 2016 from Albany? It could be a matter of (challenging) your assessment and town.

Here is some information from Onondaga County: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/star31.htm

This may be what you are referring to: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...rcentlimit.htm

More information: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/max_index.htm

Old 06-08-2017, 02:32 PM

It no longer has anything to do with you local people.

I'll try and explain it using round number.

Pre 2016 lets say your school taxes where 1200. So the bank adds a 100 a month to your escrow. You sign up for STAR and get 600 off. Following year your escrow will lower by 50 bucks a month.

For people after 2016 lets say your taxes are 1200 a year. You sign up for STAR and they give you 600. BUT they do not send it to your local schools. So your taxes in your escrow stay at 100. Ideally you will get a check for the 600 in September. I won't hold my breath but it could happen.

So moving forward the taxes you see listed are what you will be paying. You may get a check from STAR for the time being but the posted taxes are what you will be paying.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:57 PM

Q2 should clarify it for yo.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...16-tp-faqs.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area