Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 05:50 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMR0505 View Post
Thank you! We actually visited those Logan Park Lofts last night--they're beautiful and a real contender if we choose Auburn!

Right now the SO's job position is a little more precarious than mine, so we might stay in Ithaca--life is very complicated right now.
If you don't mind me asking - is your SO's employer considering closing its Syracuse area facility and eliminating all local jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 10:10 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMR0505 View Post
Hello y'all! The SO and I currently live in Ithaca, where I work, and he works in Syracuse, which is an hour+ commute for him each way.

My (heinously overpriced) lease in Ithaca is up this summer, and the SO might be unemployed come December, meaning we might need to leave CNY altogether (we both work in tech, he in pharma and I in biotech). We're hoping for a more flexible lease so we can adapt to either outcome--roll over into a more permanent lease if things work out for him, or skedaddle if they don't (we might want to leave in the next year or two regardless, there aren't a ton of opportunities around here).

Which brings me to my question. We're looking in Cortland, but the rental market there is pretty dismal. We've located a few more options in Auburn. What's Auburn like? It seems like there are a few restaurants (Prison City is a favorite!) How are the commutes to Syracuse and Ithaca?
The commute from Auburn to Ithaca is long! In the winter, it's just dreadful. The commute to Syracuse isn't bad....depending on how close you are to the Thruway, it can be significantly faster. Parts of Auburn have HORRIBLE snow plow/salting during the winter. One of my friends lives there and she won't leave her house when there's weather. Many hills become complete sheets of ice. I've experienced it and it is terrifying when you can't stop at all and you're coming down a hill in the middle of downtown.

Cortland may be a good middle ground. Cortland though has the college so many apartments are catered towards them.

It is quite a trek between Ithaca and Syracuse. Not a short distance either. And winter doesn't help for sure.

What are you looking for in a flexible lease? Maybe best to look for a month to month if you're thinking you might not stick around long.

Old 06-20-2023, 04:22 AM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
The 10 Most Affordable Small Towns Where You’d Actually Like To Live, 2023 Edition

https://www.realtor.com/?p=808922

Cortland NY is ranked number one.

Old 06-27-2023, 09:20 AM

26 posts, read 16,812 times
I grew up smack dab in the middle of that area. I still know every hill and curve of those roads between Auburn, Ithaca, Cortland, and Syracuse like the back of my hand and I can confidently say, in terms of the commute, Cortland crushes Auburn due to its proximity to 81 and 13. Plus it has Doug's. (:

Old 06-27-2023, 09:31 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK2 View Post
I grew up smack dab in the middle of that area. I still know every hill and curve of those roads between Auburn, Ithaca, Cortland, and Syracuse like the back of my hand and I can confidently say, in terms of the commute, Cortland crushes Auburn due to its proximity to 81 and 13. Plus it has Doug's. (:
Technically, Auburn is minutes from the original Doug’s in Skaneateles, which you can go through on the way to Syracuse from there via Route 20 to Route 175. So, they have access to a Doug’s nearby as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area