Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 11:39 AM

12 posts, read 10,840 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just got married and we have been living in his parent's vacation home on Skaneateles Lake for the past year and a half.

While we would love to stay in Skaneateles, the real estate market is very high for what you are getting. Our household income is 160k so we definitely have a decent budget but the market is extremely competitive and there is not much affordable inventory of new and modern homes. Mostly it is homes built in the 1900s in the village and we need a more modern feel.

We are thinking of buying a new/modern home in Camillus but neither of us is from the area and we've really only experienced SKN over this past year since we moved up here. It seems like you can get some VERY nice big, modern homes (i.e. Ryan custom homes) for 300k or under which we would never find in Skaneateles for under 500+k.

We are not looking into needing a good school system for another 10 years as we currently have no children. It seems to make sense for us to move back to Skaneateles when that becomes a priority.

Can anyone tell us more about Camillus and living there? Any safety concerns? (Skaneateles is the safest place I've ever lived). Is there stuff to do? We have only been to movie tavern.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 09:11 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Camillus is generally safe. It is bigger than Skaneateles and it has plenty of shopping, along with some things to do at Township 5, which is where the Movie Tavern is located..

It is generally served by the West Genesee SD, which is a good district. So, when schools become a factor, you wouldn’t have to leave, unless you want a smaller district.

If you go back to Skaneateles, Camillus or the Grant Ave area of Auburn would be the closest option for big box shopping.

BTW- Did you ask a question about Skaneateles a few weeks ago? I ask because the same household income came up in regards to a Skaneateles thread and that income would allow you to live pretty much anywhere in the area.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Camillus is generally safe. It is bigger than Skaneateles and it has plenty of shopping, along with some things to do at Township 5, which is where the Movie Tavern is located..

It is generally served by the West Genesee SD, which is a good district. So, when schools become a factor, you wouldn’t have to leave, unless you want a smaller district.

If you go back to Skaneateles, Camillus or the Grant Ave area of Auburn would be the closest option for big box shopping.

BTW- Did you ask a question about Skaneateles a few weeks ago? I ask because the same household income came up in regards to a Skaneateles thread and that income would allow you to live pretty much anywhere in the area.
I will add that if you want nightlife, the closest place for that would be Tipperary Hill on Syracuse’s West Side. It has its share of pubs(some with restaurants).

Camillus while it has some things, it is more standard suburbia, with the exception of the small village of Camillus.

A newer development in the town: New Homes - Annesgrove

Old 03-25-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I will add that if you want nightlife, the closest place for that would be Tipperary Hill on Syracuse’s West Side. It has its share of pubs(some with restaurants).

Camillus while it has some things, it is more standard suburbia, with the exception of the small village of Camillus.

A newer development in the town: New Homes - Annesgrove
More info, including town links: About Us - Annesgrove

Old 03-25-2018, 10:33 AM

Thank you for the information and the link to Annesgrove. We are considering land that is in between SKN and Auburn in Sennett. This is my first time posting.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKN_newlyweds View Post
Thank you for the information and the link to Annesgrove. We are considering land that is in between SKN and Auburn in Sennett. This is my first time posting.
Ok...I believe that area is still within the Skaneateles SD. I believe other parts of Sennett are in the Weedsport and Auburn SD’s too.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Ok...I believe that area is still within the Skaneateles SD. I believe other parts of Sennett are in the Weedsport and Auburn SD’s too.
This area is still within SKN SD and only 5 minutes from town so it seems like a great area. Do you know any reasons why this area wouldn't be desirable besides it being a little more country.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKN_newlyweds View Post
This area is still within SKN SD and only 5 minutes from town so it seems like a great area. Do you know any reasons why this area wouldn't be desirable besides it being a little more country.
I've never heard that about that portion of the Skaneateles SD, but it could be a matter of it being more rural, relatively more affordable and perhaps its proximity to Auburn. This would be merely speculation on my part though. Here are some current listings of homes in the Cayuga County portion of the SD: https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...eq.Skaneateles)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area