Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2023, 02:43 PM

3,515 posts, read 9,431,698 times

Advertisements

Hopefully Onondaga Hill will grow enough to attract a commercial district with a grocery store so it becomes a self contained walkable suburb.

That's what I'd ideally like to see for most of the villages and communities in Onondaga County. Enough growth in population to have all shopping within a walkable distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 02:55 PM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Hopefully Onondaga Hill will grow enough to attract a commercial district with a grocery store so it becomes a self contained walkable suburb.

That's what I'd ideally like to see for most of the villages and communities in Onondaga County. Enough growth in population to have all shopping within a walkable distance.
I don't know, but it had a supermarket, not that long ago, that became another store.

also, that is where the villages come into play. They already offer walkability and in stores in many cases.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:27 AM

Build an exit interchange on 481 with Morgan Road in the town of Clay. Should help with traffic in the area.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:35 AM

Build a high skilled Job Museum in the Syracuse area that explains all the skilled jobs of the future and show what each individual job position does all day at certain jobs. It could be a place that all schools from all over Upstate NY go on a field trip to learn about what they what to be when they grow up.

It could also inspire those in poverty to see what type of jobs they are most attracted to do in the future so they can get some direction in their lives.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Build a high skilled Job Museum in the Syracuse area that explains all the skilled jobs of the future and show what each individual job position does all day at certain jobs. It could be a place that all schools from all over Upstate NY go on a field trip to learn about what they what to be when they grow up.

It could also inspire those in poverty to see what type of jobs they are most attracted to do in the future so they can get some direction in their lives.
Why not actually train people in those skills for future employment and that facility could be used for tours for those interested? That would directly address the issue and to be honest, much of that should be in the school system.

Usually a museum documents past and current aspects/events, along with potential future events. Why not include those things for a museum?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-23-2023 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-23-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why not actually train people in those skills for future employment and that facility could be used for tours for those interested? That would directly address the issue and to be honest, much of that should be in the school system.

Usually a museum documents past and current aspects/events, along with potential future events. Why not include those things for a museum?
Because most people need inspiration first
Most people when exposed to something through leisure and free will instead of in a pressured way through school or paremts will be more likely to be open to these future jobs. The point is to make learning about it fun and relaxing so an interest is formed.

Old 07-23-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Because most people need inspiration first
Most people when exposed to something through leisure and free will instead of in a pressured way through school or paremts will be more likely to be open to these future jobs. The point is to make learning about it fun and relaxing so an interest is formed.
Ok…At what age group would it be targeted to? I ask because exposure is just as important and the earlier the better.

Old 07-23-2023, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Ok…At what age group would it be targeted to? I ask because exposure is just as important and the earlier the better.
Middle schools probably but I guess 5th and 6th grade too.

Old 07-23-2023, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Middle schools probably but I guess 5th and 6th grade too.
Why not start in elementary school? I guess this could fill in for the education not taught in schools about occupations and really other topics like financial literacy, for an example.

Old 07-24-2023, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Why not start in elementary school? I guess this could fill in for the education not taught in schools about occupations and really other topics like financial literacy, for an example.
Yes I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area