Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 AM

4 posts, read 45,099 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a loft space in downtown Syracuse and wondered if anyone has any recommendations or knows of a place where I can find a listing of all converted spaces. So far I've discovered Franklin Square, Willow, Walier, and Nettleton Commons. All seem limited on availability for my particular move in dates but look exactly like the sort of housing in which I am interested.

I've heard a few people reference the Ames building on here. I've tried googling it, but can't find any information. Where is that one located?

Does anyone have any thoughts on living in the downtown area with respect to saftey? A lot of the lofts appear to have good security amenities, but I'm wondering how safe it is really.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Default I think you......

are talking about the Amos building on West Water St. which has a salon and CL Evers grocery store on that first floor. Nice building that is close to everything downtown. I believe there are some lofts in the Armory Square neighborhood downtown too.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 45,099 times
Thanks, I think that was the one. I was able to finally find a comprehensive listing of lofts downtown on Downtown Syracuse. Just wanted to include that link for others looking.

The current housing market in the downtown is "interesting" to say the least. All apartments are about twice that of other 'cuse neighborhoods. Two bedrooms seem to start at around $1200.

I'd love to hear from others about their thoughts on living in the downtown. I know the city is trying desperately to attract residents down there, but the rents still seem a bit unreasonable since the area is not yet in full bloom.

What do you all think?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:44 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
They are nice, but I would also try the Westcott/University area too. That's still a pretty vibrant area of the city, while still being in close proximity to downtown.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 23,080 times
Default too bad loft owners are not helping to attract residents

I agree rents are way overpriced in the downtown lofts. I'd consider living in one, but there's no way I'm going to throw away my money. I can live five minutes away for half the price. Heck, I can buy a decently sized house for less money per month and it will be a much better investment.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:45 AM

33 posts, read 175,836 times
I wish there were some less expensive options for downtown living too. As it is, there's the YMCA Men's residence and fancy expensive loft apartments and nothing in between. I wanted to live downtown when I first came here a year ago, but I'm not going to pay that much to live there when you can rent a whole house in a nice area for much less, or for that matter, buy two houses for the same monthly cost.

But it does say on the area of that web page where they list all the lofts that a lot of the projects are sold out in advance and have waiting lists, so I guess people are willing to pay a premium to live there.

I'm hoping that this will encourage more loft and retail development.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:19 PM

57 posts, read 147,124 times
Just so you know my loft apartment in Armory Square is $650 a month...I have a friend in a 2 bedroom apartment in Armory that pays $750 a month and a friend in a 2 bedroom apartment in Hanover that pays $1000. If you know where to look you will find them much cheaper than $1200 as someone said where rent prices start at downtown.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM

4 posts, read 39,040 times
Default cusetownusa - better priced lofts?

if you dont mind, can you tell me where your friend looked? what buildings or even websites are available online for those prices? im interested...

Old 05-12-2009, 11:03 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Here is the most recent list of downtown housing that was compiled by Syracuse's Downtown Committee:

http://downtownsyracuse.com/images/u...ousinglist.pdf

For additional information, here is their main website:
Downtown Syracuse

For additional options with prices in your range, I would also look at Franklin Square which is just northwest of Downtown and south of the Little Italy neighborhood. Here is an earlier thread that will provide some property links and information on this area:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...ds-advice.html

Old 05-12-2009, 11:28 AM

57 posts, read 147,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvassar View Post
if you dont mind, can you tell me where your friend looked? what buildings or even websites are available online for those prices? im interested...

I am not sure how they lined up their apartments but one is in the building above Pastabilities...which is a 2 bedroom for about $750 a month. The other is in the Hogan Building which is above Mr.Shop on the corner of Fayette and Franklin. And the one in Hanover is above the bar which I believe is called World (martini bar). The Hogan Building and the building with Pastabilities is owned by the same guy.

I would suggest trying to find the phone number of the landlords of these buildings to give them a call to see if they have any openings. I don't think apartments stay vacant too long in a lot of these buildings downtown; therefore they may not feel it is necessary to adverstise on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area