Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 39,444 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Watertown from SC....no African American hairstylists here. Does anyone know of any reputable stylists in Syracuse or reasonable driving distance from Watertown that specialize in ethnic hair (relaxers, cuts, etc). I have really short hair and would like to keep it healthy and nice looking.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
There are quite a few in Syracuse. Try Madears Total Image at 1905 South Avenue. Has a very good reputation. Collins at 309 Crouse Ave. is another one that is a Barber and Beauty Salon. My father was a part time barber there for 20 years. It's a husband and wife owned establishment. Jackson's Coiffure at 517 South Ave. and Tayshi Beauty Salon at 711 South Geddes are two more I know of. For braids, Sophie's African Hair Braiding at 600 N. Salina St. is a place to go to. If there are more, I'll put them up there for you, if necessary.

By the way, where in SC are you from? My mother is originally from Mullins and a lot of the people in the Black community here have a connection to that part of the state with people I've met from Andrews, Dillon, Latta, Lake City and some others. I also was stationed at Fort Drum from 2000-2003. So, I'm familiar with that area as well.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 39,444 times
Default thanks

Thanks...i will check them out while we're in Syracuse this weekend...I am from Columbia, SC. I have quite a few friends from the areas you mentioned

Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 AM
NTW

3 posts, read 42,365 times
Try and grow your real hair strong/ it is always good to give your hair a rest from braids
I heard of Sofies salon Just no sure wher they are located. you can google black hair care network also try growing your real hair I cannot stress enough how keeping my real hair healthy ( http://home.earthlink.net/~sawo/broccoliextracthairgrowthstix/ (broken link)) this product helped me not panic when I was out of my braids,My hair would fall out so much outside the braids that I just had to keep them in when I traveled for business now I have healthy strong hair

Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Sophie's is on North Salina Street in the Little Italy neighborhood. It's across the street from the puppet museum.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 41,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jourjamax View Post
Just moved to Watertown from SC....no African American hairstylists here. Does anyone know of any reputable stylists in Syracuse or reasonable driving distance from Watertown that specialize in ethnic hair (relaxers, cuts, etc). I have really short hair and would like to keep it healthy and nice looking.
I am 33 yrs old and in cosmetology school at the moment and will graduate around the first week of August. I actually attended a braiding and weaving seminar down in Charleston the end of March. I have been cutting hair the past two weeks, working with relaxers, and have had a few ethnic clients. I enjoy working with ethnic hair and could get a letter of recommendation from my school if I needed to. I do live in Watertown, if interested keep in touch and I will keep you posted.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Default Ethnic Hair Services Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesfree View Post
I am 33 yrs old and in cosmetology school at the moment and will graduate around the first week of August. I actually attended a braiding and weaving seminar down in Charleston the end of March. I have been cutting hair the past two weeks, working with relaxers, and have had a few ethnic clients. I enjoy working with ethnic hair and could get a letter of recommendation from my school if I needed to. I do live in Watertown, if interested keep in touch and I will keep you posted.
June 11, 2011
Last three weeks of school. Will be working the first week of August at the THISTLE HEAD SALON in Watertown, NY. I will have a letter of reccomendation from Phillips Hair Institute. Specializing in ethnic services...relaxers,color,cutting, etc...

Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 PM

I have officially finished school. Will start working mid August at the Thistle Head Salon, located at 165 Mechanic St., Watertown, NY. Behind Burger King on State St. You can call 315-788-1805 anytime between now and August for a consultation. I can schedule actual service appointments for August. I do have letter of recommendation in hand.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Congratulations!!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:02 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
That's great news! Congratulations and good luck. I think you'll find a big pent-up demand in the Watertown area. With good skills and word of mouth advertising you should be very busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area