Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,428,585 times

Advertisements

NY Jets considering SUNY Cortland as practice venue
Cortland (WSYR-TV / AP) - The city of Cortland may soon be hosting some very high-profile visitors.
The New York Jets are scoping out the SUNY Cortland campus as a possible place to hold their practice camp.

NY Jets considering SUNY Cortland as practice venue - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Why a small town like Cortland and Ithaca? Why not the Syracuse area?

The Bills practice in Rochester and the Giants practice in Albany. The only major metropolitan area of Upstate NY without an NFL team or a practice camp is Syracuse!

OK, let's just pretend the Jets come to their senses and come to the Syracuse area. What local stadium could they use? Anyone know of one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
I'm sure Chuckie (Schumer) made a phone call to the Jet's demanding they play in Cortland. Chuckie has a penchant for getting involved in issues that are either out of his control or ones he knows that cannot be resolved. Case and point #1: giving the impression that the Met's farm team would be relocating to Syracuse due to his friendship with Fred Wilpon while at the same time playing up Buffalo. Case and point #2: giving the illusion that gov't bailout funds would preserve NPG's East Syracuse operation based on his long time association with the car zar. Chuckie must have been behind this one.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:02 PM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I think it's because we have the only major College Football program in the state. So, we get to see a high level of Football here. Considering, that there are only 3 D1 Football programs in a state of 19 million, we are fortunate.

Also, the the Bills used to practice in Fredonia, which has a SUNY campus of roughly the same size.

SUNY Cortland also has some of the best facilities in Division 3 College Football. CortlandFootball.com - The Dragon's Peak

Old 03-31-2009, 07:59 PM

17 posts, read 61,363 times
Isn't Syracuse Bills country?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:02 PM

129 posts, read 467,765 times
Yeah there a lot of Bills fans in Syracuse... Including me!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 AM

There are some New England Patriots and Steelers fans as well. I would say a sizable amount of the native Syracusans support the Bills, however those in the eastern suburbs like Fayetteville, Manlius, DeWitt tend to support the NY, Boston, and other out-of-state teams since a good portion are originally from those areas. Personally, I wouldn't root for any Buffalo team since Western New Yorkers don't support the Syracuse Orange. The Bills haven't invested any time or money in attracting additional Syracuse fans, especially since they established their training camp in suburban Rochester, which makes more logical sense due to its proximity to the queen city. Lastly, I don't consider Buffalo a local city. Some will say Buffalo is the closest "big" city to Syracuse. This is laughable considering Buffalo with a population of 270,000 and plummeting is certainly not a major city or metropolitan area by any stretch. In fact, Rochester a city that is 65,000 residents smaller now boasts a metro area of equal size with the almost certainity that it will ellipse Buffalo-Niagara's MSA population by 2010 if it hasn't already. Hopefully the Bills will move to Toronto at which time I will lend my support.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 04-01-2009 at 08:40 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 07:07 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,428,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
There are some New England Patriots and Steelers fans as well. I would say a sizable amount of the native Syracusans support the Bills, however those in the eastern suburbs like Fayetteville, Manlius, DeWitt tend to support the NY, Boston, and other out-of-state teams since a good portion are originally from those areas. Personally, I wouldn't root for any Buffalo team since Western New Yorkers don't support the Syracuse Orange. The Bills haven't invested any time or money in attracting additional Syracuse fans, especially since they established their training camp in suburban Rochester, which makes more logical sense due to its proximity to the queen city. Lastly, I don't consider Buffalo a local city. Some will say Buffalo is the closest "big" city to Syracuse. This is laughable considering Buffalo with a population of 270,000 and plummeting is certainly not a major city or metropolitan area by any stretch. In fact, Rochester a city that is 65,000 residents smaller now boasts a metro area of equal size with the almost certainity that it will ellipse Buffalo-Niagara's MSA population by 2010 if it hasn't already. Hopefully the Bills will move to Toronto at which time I will lend my support.
Wow, I think exactly like you do!

I've never come into contact with someone else in the Syracuse area who thinks like me.

I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, but I used to care about Buffalo and their teams (long time ago). That was until I found out how much Buffalo natives look down on the Syracuse area and could care less about SU sports.

I agree that Buffalo is not the closest "big" city to Syracuse. I view the Capital District, Greater Syracuse, Greater Rochester and Greater Buffalo all in the same league.

A little off topic, but I find it very difficult to root for any team in NYC for the same reason I don't root for teams in Buffalo. Most NYC area natives make fun of Syracuse, that is if they even acknowledge Syracuse exists. And the State leadership, with its NYC power base, basically ignores the Syracuse area. For some reason the State thinks Syracuse is just another Binghamton and Utica in importance.

Therefore the only reason I'd like to see the Jets practice in the Syracuse area is for the prestige and the boost in business that local businesses would get from such an arrangement.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-03-2009 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Wow, I think exactly like you do!

I've never come into contact with someone else in the Syracuse area who thinks like me.

I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, but I used to care about Buffalo and their teams (long time ago). That was until I found out how much Buffalo natives look down on the Syracuse area and could care less about SU sports.

I agree that Buffalo is not the closest "big" city to Syracuse. I view the Capital District, Greater Syracuse, Greater Rochester and Greater Buffalo all in the same league.

A little off topic, but I find it very difficult to root for any team in NYC for the same reason I don't root for teams in Buffalo. Most NYC area natives make fun of Syracuse, that is if they even acknowledge Syracuse exists. And the State leadership, with its NYC power base, basically ignores the Syracuse area. For some reason the State thinks Syracuse is just another Binghamton and Utica in importance.

Therefore the only reason I'd like to see the Jets practice in the Syracuse area is for the prestige and the boost in business that local businesses would get from such an arrangement.
I don't root for any NYC teams either even though I grew up 1 hour north. I am always thrilled when the Yanks, Mets, Jets, Giants, Islanders, Rangers, Devils, and Nets lose. I pretty much root for the SU Orange exclusively. I'm with you on the Jets - It would definitely be a boost to the Syracuse area. I have never understood why Buffalonians have this menality towards Syracuse. In fairness, when I was in college it seemed the people most dismissive about Syracuse, were those from Rochester, Albany, and downstate. I remember some of my friends from Buffalo liked Syracuse because to them it was a smaller version of Buffalo. I've always thought Buffalo was dumpy and my biggest gripe was their high concentration of factories and flat land. Further, Buffalo Niagara (aside from the Capital Region and NYC) has been the biggest beneficiary of pork and state funding from Albany yet the area is still an economic wasteland and is bleeding population. Buffalo reminds me of a bigger version of Flint, MI or Youngstown, OH.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 PM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I don't root for any NYC teams either even though I grew up 1 hour north. I am always thrilled when the Yanks, Mets, Jets, Giants, Islanders, Rangers, Devils, and Nets lose. I pretty much root for the SU Orange exclusively. I'm with you on the Jets - It would definitely be a boost to the Syracuse area. I have never understood why Buffalonians have this menality towards Syracuse. In fairness, when I was in college it seemed the people most dismissive about Syracuse, were those from Rochester, Albany, and downstate. I remember some of my friends from Buffalo liked Syracuse because to them it was a smaller version of Buffalo. I've always thought Buffalo was dumpy and my biggest gripe was their high concentration of factories and flat land. Further, Buffalo Niagara (aside from the Capital Region and NYC) has been the biggest beneficiary of pork and state funding from Albany yet the area is still an economic wasteland and is bleeding population. Buffalo reminds me of a bigger version of Flint, MI or Youngstown, OH.
Buffalo does have a very rough to it, but it at least something going in comparison to Youngstown or Flint. There are still some parts of buffalo that are fine like the the Elmwood and Allentown neighborhoods close to Buff. State. South Buffalo is a bigger and similar version of the Tipp Hill/Far West Side. Their economy has been hurting, but they stil seem to have a strong sense of pride in the area.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Buffalo does have a very rough to it, but it at least something going in comparison to Youngstown or Flint. There are still some parts of buffalo that are fine like the the Elmwood and Allentown neighborhoods close to Buff. State. South Buffalo is a bigger and similar version of the Tipp Hill/Far West Side. Their economy has been hurting, but they stil seem to have a strong sense of pride in the area.
I mostly resent that the Buffalo area gets a disproportionate share of state aid and earmarks while Syracuse gets squat. The people can be provincial since the city is so isolated from the rest of the state. I will give Buffalonians props for having pride in their city, something that is surely lacking among CNY residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area