Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 03:01 PM

231 posts, read 626,896 times

Advertisements

So... I did a seach of the thread and didn't come accross any atheists postings...Any in syracuse? I found one meet up group but it doesn't look as though very many attend. I did come across a few conservative and libertaian oriented groups. Hows the community for us liberal atheists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 03:31 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacques View Post
So... I did a seach of the thread and didn't come accross any atheists postings...Any in syracuse? I found one meet up group but it doesn't look as though very many attend. I did come across a few conservative and libertaian oriented groups. Hows the community for us liberal atheists?
I'm not sure, but you will probably find some. This is probably the site you saw:The Syracuse Atheists Meetup Group (Syracuse, NY) - Meetup.com

I don't think people will do anything to you because you are an atheist around here.

Here's another group at Syracuse University:Syracuse University Atheists | Facebook

Old 04-25-2009, 04:21 PM

231 posts, read 626,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not sure, but you will probably find some. This is probably the site you saw:The Syracuse Atheists Meetup Group (Syracuse, NY) - Meetup.com

I don't think people will do anything to you because you are an atheist around here.

Here's another group at Syracuse University:Syracuse University Atheists | Facebook

Yea, those are the only 2 I came accross. I not worried about having problems because i'm an athiest but I'd just like to live in a city with more like-minded people. I'm the only democrat in my office here in orlando. My girlfriend made a McCain joke and a man who overheard the conversation made the comment "fu**ing nig*er, don't know nothin". Yea i'm kinda tired of being in a city full of rednecks. I don't forsee rednecks in syracuse but i'd kinda like to have since a community for once in my life.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:55 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
My grandmother and aunt would both describe themselves as atheist liberals - very common around here, I think - and attend the Unitarian Universalist church on East Genesee St. in Dewitt/Syracuse. The UU is more of a spiritualist organization and the focus isn't on God... thus, it's attractiveness to atheists. May Memorial Unitarian Universalist Society - Home

Only if you're looking for comraderie in that aspect though... not pushing you into it. I'm Roman Catholic so if I was going to be pushy about religion, it wouldn't be toward the UU. lol

Old 04-25-2009, 05:12 PM

Yeah, I think ajacques that you would definitely like the Westcott/University neighborhoods. I think that area, along with a couple of other neighborhoods close to Syracuse University, are the most "liberal" in the city and area.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 PM

357 posts, read 968,496 times
I grew up in the Westcott/University neighborhood and can't remember a single republican or conservative person in the area More common, were neighbors with "anti-war" protest signs in the yards, gay/lesbian families, and families in which the parents taught at liberal SU. However, as an adult I became a conservative, much to my mother's dismay, but I don't live near there anymore so I don't count But even as a conservative I would choose to move back to that area because of how great that area of the city is. I also believe downtown lofts and and apartments usually attract more hip and open minded people as well.
Good Luck

Old 04-25-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
I grew up in the Westcott/University neighborhood and can't remember a single republican or conservative person in the area More common, were neighbors with "anti-war" protest signs in the yards, gay/lesbian families, and families in which the parents taught at liberal SU. However, as an adult I became a conservative, much to my mother's dismay, but I don't live near there anymore so I don't count But even as a conservative I would choose to move back to that area because of how great that area of the city is. I also believe downtown lofts and and apartments usually attract more hip and open minded people as well.
Good Luck
Also, our area isn't an area that gets too high one way or the other, really. I think most of the people in the area are more of the "Live and Let Live" mantra.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
It's either Live and Let Live, or just that no political or religious group can get critical mass because there's no money for funding, sluggish economy, apathy etc. Polarization tends to show up in areas that are more affluent, which Syracuse is not. People in the Syracuse area just are basically into surviving, not pushing political or religious agendas in any organized way.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
It's either Live and Let Live, or just that no political or religious group can get critical mass because there's no money for funding, sluggish economy, apathy etc. Polarization tends to show up in areas that are more affluent, which Syracuse is not. People in the Syracuse area just are basically into surviving, not pushing political or religious agendas in any organized way.
True...Basically, people are trying to live. So, maybe it looks like Live and Let Live, when it's really just about trying to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: