Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 AM

69 posts, read 162,559 times

Advertisements

We moved to Syracuse in December and are currently renting a house. We hope to buy sometime this year once our home in Charlotte sells. We are still looking at areas, but wanted to get feedback from those that have been in Syracuse for a while. I have heard that FM schools are fantastic, but with living in that area, taxes are higher than other areas in the city (of course, taxes are high every where in NY :0) What are some other good school districts to be in? We are currently renting in Brewerton which is in the Central Sqaure school district and I have had a couple people tell me this district is really good. I know that N. Syr is huge as well as Liverpool. Any feedback on schools is appreciated. I do know that no matter where I send my children here, it will be better than in Charlotte so I don't worry too much. I love Charlotte, but the amount of growth they saw in a rather short period of time really took a toll on the schools in that area.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
In parenthesis I've included towns, hamlets, and villages that are generally covered by the district as well as zip codes that you can enter for online real estate searches. Note: My description may not be all inclusive, as some district boundries weave in and out of subdivisions and townships. Some zip codes cover multiple districts.

As a general rule property taxes are lower in Oswego and Madison counties than Onondaga County.

Based on standardized test scores and overall academic performance I would recommend the following in no particular order:

Western Suburbs:
1.) West Genesee (Camillus, Fairmount, parts of Onondaga Hill and Geddes)
Zip Codes: 13031, 13219, 13215
West Genesee School District

2.) Westhill (Onondaga Hill, Westvale)
Zip Codes: 13215, 13219
Westhill School District

3.) Skaneateles
Zip Code: 13152
Skaneateles Central Schools - Home Page

4.) Marcellus (Marcellus, and portions of the towns of Camillus and Onondaga)
Zip Code: 13108, 13215, 13031
Marcellus School District

Northern Suburbs:
1.) Baldwinsville (covers the towns of Lysander, Van Buren, and part of Clay)
Zip Codes: 13027, 13090, 13137
http://www.bville.org/

Eastern Suburbs:
1.) Fayetteville-Manlius (covers parts of Manlius, DeWitt, and Pompey)
Zip Codes: 13066, 13104
FAYETTEVILLE-MANLIUS SCHOOLS

2.) Jamesville-DeWitt (covers parts of Onondaga (Southwood), DeWitt,
Jamesville, LaFayette, Pompey and Manlius)
Zip Codes: 13224, 13214, 13078, 13066
Jamesville - Dewitt School District

3.) Cazenovia (this district is in neighboring Madison County, adjacent to F-M)
Zip Codes: 13104, 13035
Cazenovia CSD Home Page

Hope this helps. Welcome to Syracuse.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I went to Westhill Schools, which have a very good reputation in the area. You really can't go wrong anywhere and even some of the city schools are fine. While the higher levels might not be for everyone in the Syracuse City SD, you can still get a good education, as long as you are involved in your child's education. Corcoran High has a very good IB program. I also like the Jamesville-DeWitt SD due to being a high quality school district in a suburban setting, but is relatively "diverse".

Here's some good information to check out about the schools in the area:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2008&county=Onondaga (broken link)

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

Onondaga County School Districts (http://www.ongov.net/About/schools/ - broken link)

I hope this helps......

Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 PM

69 posts, read 162,559 times
Thank you! This information is very helpful!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area