Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 8,218 times

Advertisements

Hi there.
I wonder if anyone can help? We are moving to the Syracuse area from the UK with my husbands job. We have two children aged 9 and 11. I dont know this area at all -although I have been to Manhattan and Toronto before. Firstly we are looking for a good safe friendly area to live that is easy reach of shops,schools and parks. Secondly good schools. We dont mind a commute to the city within about 30 mins drive.
I am worried about the cold winters! I thought British winters were cold and long but I think i havent seen anything yet! I think I am going to have to embrace the snow and enjoy your winter wonderland! We are probably going to arrive in the autumn(fall). It looks very beautiful so far of what I can see on the internet. Could you also tell me how long it takes by train to get to Manhattan. I would be very grateful if you could help as I have come to a bit of a standstill with my internet research. Thankyou. SammyT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
I only have a few minutes, just now, to answer you but to do something quickly... I'd suggest Cazenovia (close to shops, groceries, culture, lakeside village, within 10, 15, and 20 minutes of ski resorts, not including a private mountain just outside the village itself), 20 minute commute to Syracuse, GORGEOUS, and with good public and private school options nearby. Flying to NY is cheaper than taking the train- last time I flew, roundtrip, it was $90 on JetBlue. The flight was only 50 minutes and a train ride would take hours and hours, whether by car or train.

editing to add, after boomvang's post: I suggest Cazenovia easily because I know of a strong UK presence there... it would have helped if I'd mentioned that from the start. lol

Last edited by proulxfamily; 06-02-2009 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 04:12 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,052 times
Your choices are many. What sort of town do you prefer? New? Old? In between? Most suburbs in the area boast superior schools, and shopping should not prove to be too much of a challenge as there are several malls in the area. Winter can be a bear, but snow removal in the central N.Y. area is second to none. I suggest browsing this forum, there are many great threads devoted to this very topic. I am sure the others will chime in, with links to area attractions, schools and real estate. Good luck and welcome!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 AM

Thankyou guys. I am feeling a little nervous as it is a big move but it is a beautiful area and I am sure we will settle in well. I like places with history and character - I am looking forward to visiting. Hopefully we are coming to do an exploratory trip soon.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times
Welcome to Syracuse. Based on your criteria, I would highly recommend Syracuse's eastern suburbs which have excellent schools, parks, locally owned shops, and easy access to many of our city's cultural assets including the Symphony, Opera, Art Museum and Syracuse University. Here are some links to local villages and towns that may be of interest:

Cazenovia
Village of Cazenovia
Town Of Cazenovia: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Cazenovia CSD Home Page
Cazenovia Chamber of Commerce
http://www.stonequarryhillartpark.org/

Pompey
Town of Pompey, NY
FAYETTEVILLE-MANLIUS SCHOOLS (school district covers northern portion of town where most of the newer housing developments are located)

Manlius:
Welcome to the Town of Manlius
Manlius Chamber of Commerce :: Greater Manlius Chamber Commerce :: Chamber of Commerce :: Manlius :: New York
Manlius, NY History, Town of Manlius - The Manlius Historical Society & Museum - Home
http://www.fmschools.org/

Fayetteville:
Village Of Fayetteville - Home
http://www.fmschools.org/

DeWitt:
Town Of DeWitt - Onondaga County, New York. Established Since 1835.
Jamesville - Dewitt School District

In addition to the afforementioned communites east of the city of Syracuse, the lakeside community of Skaneateles is another highly recommended option. Skaneateles is approximately 30 to 35 minutes southwest of Syracuse (roughly the same distance from the city as Cazenovia)

Here are some links:

Skaneateles:
Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - HOME
The Village of Skaneateles - Home
Town Of Skaneateles Government Site
Mid-Lakes Navigation | Cruising on Skaneateles Lake and The Erie Canal
Skaneateles Community Center - Home
Skaneateles Central Schools - Home Page

Here are some Syracuse regional links:

Convention and Visitors Bureau:
Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Onondaga County Parks System:
Onondaga County Parks, Home Page

Regional Economic Development / Branding Website:
New York's Creative Core

Arts and Cultural Links / Fun Activities
Everson Museum of Art
Museum Information - Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science &amp Technology
HOME - The Erie Canal Museum Official Website
http://www.openhandtheater.org/
Red House, Syracuse, NY
http://www.syracusestage.org/home.aspx?page_id=1
http://www.syracuseopera.com/
http://www.syracusesymphony.org/
http://syracusejazzfest.com/
http://www.cnyjazz.org/home.aspx (broken link)
Welcome to the Landmark Theatre, Syracuse, New York
Rosamond Gifford Zoo
Syracuse University Athletics
Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY

The Syracuse Chamber of Commerce provides a free comprehensive relocation kit that will help resolve questions or concerns. I've read their newcomers guide and it's very helpful and informative:

Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce: Chamber Information

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 06-03-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Also, the village of Liverpool might be good due tot the proximity to the Train station, it's on Onondaga Lake, you have Onondaga Lake Park, it has a walkable business district, it's has events during the summer and so on. Baldwinsville might be might be another place to consider as well.

Here's information on both: Village of Liverpool Home Page

Village of Liverpool*** Links (http://www.villageofliverpool.org/links.html - broken link)

http://www.baldwinsville.org/

WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE OF BALDWINSVILLE

REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION CENTER,CNY CENTRO/SYRACUSE Fares,CENTRO OF CAYUGA Fares,CENTRO OF ONEIDA Fares,CENTRO OF OSWEGO Fares,CALL-A-BUS Fares,Reduced Fares

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2008&county=Onondaga (broken link)

Syracuse Arts Net Home

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times
To answer your last question regarding train travel from Syracuse to Manhattan - It takes roughly 5.5 to 6 hours on Amtrak. The Maple Leaf line originates in Toronto and must go through customs prior to entering the US at Niagara Falls. This can result in the train arriving late into Syracuse's Regional Transportation Center. All Amtrak trains arrive at Manhattan's Penn Station not Grand Central. Those that prefer arriving at Grand Central and want to avoid the Times Square Shuttle get off at the Croton-Harmon stop which is about 40 minutes north of New York City and catch a MetroNorth train that goes directly into Grand Central.

Here is information on Amtrak:
Amtrak

Website for the Regional Transportation Center in Syracuse:
REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION CENTER,CNY CENTRO/SYRACUSE Fares,CENTRO OF CAYUGA Fares,CENTRO OF ONEIDA Fares,CENTRO OF OSWEGO Fares,CALL-A-BUS Fares,Reduced Fares

Old 06-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Thankyou so much for all the info. It is much appreciated. I now have lots more research to do on the links and info you have provided. You have made me feel much better about the whole moving countries process, which is quite daunting. I am really touched that you have taken the time to respond to my questions. It sounds a really amazing place. Thanks again guys.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
This is great info! I'm learning a lot about my soon to be new home Thanks!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:48 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,126 times
I'm in complete agreement on the eastern suburbs as the best choice if you have school aged children. I think Fayetteville and Manlius may be the best choice in terms of excellent public schools (locally known as the F-M schools ) yet still an easy drive into Syracuse when the winter weather gets dicey.

Cazenovia is further out,... the schools still good but perhaps a notch down from the high academic standards at F-M. Caz is a longer commute. 30 minutes into downtown Syracuse in good weather and a bit longer if it's snowy. It has the benefit of being on a beautiful lake and has the sort of small village / historic town feel due to its location (it is located on Rte 5/20 - which was a major east-west turnpike in the 1700's and early 1800's when Syracuse was still a swamp).

Pompey is more rural in nature and the school district - Fabius-Pompey - will have a mix of kids from farm families (many dairy farms in the area), blue collar rural residents and some upper-middle class white collar families who have moved into some upscale developments within the town limits. By the way - bit of UK related trivia - Winston Churchill's mother Jenny is buried in Pompey.

Jamesville-Dewitt area is literally on the edge of the city (I live in Syracuse and Dewitt is 1 city block from my house) and has schools that are a bit more culturally diverse than other suburban school districts and not quite as highly ranked as F-M but less fiercely competitive than F-M is.

Passenger trains in the US, with the exception of the Boston-NY-Philadelphia-DC corridor, share the same tracks as freight trains. It's not a smooth ride and there are often unexpected delays. My last train trip to NYC took 8 hours and I said "never again!". You can indeed fly to JFK although it's usually closer to $150 - $200 instead of $90 unless you catch one of Jet Blue's sales. I like flying the US Airways shuttle into La Guardia because there are fewer delays and the cab into Manhattan is a much shorter ride and only $25 instead of the $45 you pay from JFK (but you can take the subway into Manhattan from JFK if you're not in a hurry). But the US Air flight is on a Dash-8 prop plane - which I don't mind but many folks abhor.

Another alternative is the Caz Limo luxury motor couch. They leave every morning at 7 AM from a hotel in the edge of Syracuse where you park for free. It has big comfy seats, power plugs, free Wi-Fi etc and gets you to the NJ ferry terminal in Weehawken by 11:30 AM where you can take the 10 minute ferry to Manhattan. The return trip is at 5 or 6 PM but you don't have to come back on the same day. I think it's about $160 RT and I haven't tried it but it sounds great and Caz Limo has a good reputation. Mostly I just make the 4 to 4.5 hour drive in my own car... park for free in a small town on the NJ side and take the train into the city. Easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area