Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times

Advertisements

Just who designs these things? 5th graders?

Quote:
Some users have found that the edges of the Touch Cover have split open after only a few days of use. "The defect is identical in each case: the cover ... begins to split at its seam where the device attaches magnetically to the main computer.
Microsoft Surface Touch Cover 'Splits Within Days' - Slashdot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
The better question is: Who tests these things? It would not have taken much effort to discover this was a problem before shipping (Hell, before production started).

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that they found the problem after a gazillion of them were produced and decide to just ignore it.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The better question is: Who tests these things? It would not have taken much effort to discover this was a problem before shipping (Hell, before production started).

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that they found the problem after a gazillion of them were produced and decide to just ignore it.
You're quick to assume that it's a design defect. It could very well be a manufacturing defect.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're quick to assume that it's a design defect. It could very well be a manufacturing defect.
Either way a basic "bake in" period of testing should have revealed it.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Agreed. It doesn't matter if it's a design or manufacturing defect. Quality control or simple testing (and it would have been simple since these failures came about in a couple of weeks of, I assume, average use) would have discovered the problem.

Quote:
No quick assumption here even though you thought so.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Agreed. It doesn't matter if it's a design or manufacturing defect. Quality control or simple testing (and it would have been simple since these failures came about in a couple of weeks of, I assume, average use) would have discovered the problem.

No quick assumption here even though you thought so.
Both design and manufacturing defects are of concern but your previous posts clearly throws out any possibility of manufacturing defects and immediately calls it a design defect. Unless this has already been discovered, you are, indeed, making a quick assumption.

Why are you so sure that it's a design defect? Why do you completely dismiss manufacturing defect?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Both design and manufacturing defects are of concern but your previous posts clearly throws out any possibility of manufacturing defects and immediately calls it a design defect. Unless this has already been discovered, you are, indeed, making a quick assumption.
Wrong. I'm confused by your assumption of my meaning.

Quote:

I clearly state that the defect should have been discovered before shipping, which is after production. Did you miss that? Then the statement that it should nave been discovered "before production started". Again, nothing to do with a design flaw, but a flaw in the testing process. Do you honestly think companies design something and go straight to production without testing? If so then it's obvious you have never worked in a design/production environment as I have.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Folks - It is the risk they take with the quick start high volume manufacture. Apple, Motorola, Microsoft. If you push the envelope as they are doing they never get anywhere enough test time or experience to be completely safe up front.

You proof every piece with great care. And then some place along the line someone does something different and it interacts with something else and you are done in.

I think the cover was a somewhat unique thing. Not terribly complex. But different. And someplace in the scale up something bit them. Probably relatively obvious in hindsight as it appears quickly. The really nasty one appear slowly after a long delay and then accelerate.

Any time you innovate and then try to start up to high volume fast you run the risk.

Murphy is served. Unfortunately even at high volume.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Wrong. I'm confused by your assumption of my meaning.

I clearly state that the defect should have been discovered before shipping, which is after production. Did you miss that? Then the statement that it should nave been discovered "before production started". Again, nothing to do with a design flaw, but a flaw in the testing process. Do you honestly think companies design something and go straight to production without testing? If so then it's obvious you have never worked in a design/production environment as I have.
Actually, you added "It would not have taken much effort to discover this was a problem before shipping (Hell, before production started)."

Ofcourse they test it before it goes to production or otherwise it wouldn't make it to production. You're the one suggesting that they should have discovered the problem before production started. Hence, implying they didn't do proper testing prior to production. I'm suggesting that maybe they did do proper testing before production, but ran into manufacturing issues. Something you totally dismiss by what you said in your parenthesis above.

I see that you may not have ever worked in a design/production environment, but I can tell that even after something is fully tested and goes to production, manufacturing defects can occur in a single (or more) production line. These types of defects would not be discovered "hell, before production started". You're either assuming that manufacturing defects can always be discovered pre-production, or that manufacturing defects have already been ruled out.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 PM

Has anyone ever mentioned that you are anal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets