Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:22 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about getting a tablet - mostly to use with Chromecast in my living room - will probably also use it for web surfing on wi-fi.

The two I am debating between are these two:

Lenovo A8 8" 16GB Lenovo A8 50 - 59407798 - Best Buy

and

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 8GB SM-T230NZWAXAR - Best Buy

Aside from the Lenovo being 1" bigger and $40 cheaper, are there any meaningful differences between them that I should consider?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 01:49 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Samsung is Korean and Lenovo is Chinese.

Go with the Samsung. One has only to look in the news to see that Chinese quality control leaves far too much to be desired.

FWIW I bought my wife a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and she loves it. She has had it a year now and has never had a single issue with it, nor has either of us had any issues with either of our Samsung Galaxy SIII smartphones (both are 2.5 years old now). Simply put, Samsung makes very high-quality products that are worth the money you put out for them. The only electronics brand I would buy before Samsung is Sony, and that is only my own personal preference.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:44 PM

Thanks. I am glad that I haven't gone to buy anything yet, as it seems that Chromecast is not compatible with all devices at this point, and that is the primary reason I am looking for a tablet.

The two I listed are not on the current list of compatible devices:

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../6059461?hl=en

Old 01-02-2015, 08:29 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
What do you want to "cast" from a tablet?

You might be better served with a Roku...

Old 01-02-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
What do you want to "cast" from a tablet?

You might be better served with a Roku...
I don't want a Roku because you can't watch HBO Go on Roku ... you can with Chromecast

I'll be ok... eventually I will get a tablet..for now I will just bring my laptop into the living room.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:42 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I don't want a Roku because you can't watch HBO Go on Roku ... you can with Chromecast

I'll be ok... eventually I will get a tablet..for now I will just bring my laptop into the living room.
There are very few cable companies that still don't support Roku, so if you are basing this assumption on older data, it's probably worth checking the list of providers that support Roku again.

HBO GO Help : Featured Question

Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Pasted for your convenience. HBO is very close to releasing the ability for anyone to get HBO GO. Not just subscribers.

HBO GO is an authenticated channel, which means you must have a current HBO subscription and a television provider that supports HBO GO on Roku. The following is a list of television providers that have authorized HBO GO on Roku:
Advanced Cable
Antietam
Astound
AT&T U-Verse TV
Atlantic Broadband
ATMC, BendBroadband
Blue Ridge Communications
Bright House
Buckeye CableSystem
Burlington Telecom
BVU OptiNet
Cable ONE
CenturyLink Prism
Charter
Cincinnati Bell Fioptics
Clear Creek Communications
Comcast Xfinity
Cox
DIRECTV
DIRECTV-Puerto Rico
DISH
Easton Cable Velocity
EPB Fiber Optics
Frontier Communications
GCI
Grande Communications
GTA
GVTC Communications
Hawaiian Telcom
Home Telecom
Home Town Cable Plus
Hotwire Communications
HTC Communications
HTC Digital Cable
JEA, Long Lines
LUS Fiber
Massillon Cable/CPI
Mediacom, MetroCast
Mi-Connection
Midcontinent Communications
Nex-Tech
Openband Multimedia
Optimum
RCN
Service Electric Broadband
Service Electric Cable TV
Service Electric Cablevision
Suddenlink
Summit Broadband
SureWest Broadband
Time Warner Cable
Verizon FiOS
Wave Broadband
WOW!
Yadtel Telecom

If you do not see your television provider listed then they are currently not supporting HBO GO on Roku. We encourage you to reach out to your television company and request that they add Roku. We will update this list as often as possible. For more information regarding HBO GO, please visit the help pages at HBO GO here.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:21 PM

The thing is- I don't really want a Roku --- I want a tablet for Chromecast, but also for all the other reasons people use tablets.

If I wanted to spend more money it would be a no brainer....

thanks for the info regardless!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:10 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Chromecast works with iPads, but you seem to want Android. I thought they all worked, but now I see that it's not so. I wish I knew which ones work.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Chromecast works with iPads, but you seem to want Android. I thought they all worked, but now I see that it's not so. I wish I knew which ones work.
Here is their list of supported devices: https://support.google.com/chromecas.../6059461?hl=en

click on "Supported android devices" under the first paragraph.

I have a friend who has a Samsung tablet and says she has no problems...even though hers is not on that list.

Maybe I will get an Ipad...or a Nexus.... I dunno.. so many choices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets