Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 AM

191 posts, read 698,033 times

Advertisements

I posted a question in the books forum asking if anyone had experience with the Kindle with regards to eyesight issues and 'older eyes' and got a positive response - I went ahead and got one for my mom who's in her 70's and played with it to see what reading the text was like and was really impressed so I wanted to post a mention of it here in case anyone is looking for a last minute gift because Amazon just changed their Kindle page to Free 1 day shipping - I'm tempted to get another one for me but I'll try to 'borrow' my mom's if I can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,528 times
The Kindle is awesome, I'm not a reader at all (but I'm great it, go figure lol) but I love how the screen looks like real paper.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
Just got one too as a christmas present. Love it so far. I noticed the battery bars seem to go down pretty fast - anyone else have this problem? Other than that its very easy to use and read!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:14 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
One of my hesitations is the price. It seems like the great American rip-off... pay $400 for a portable bookshelf, still pay $50 for the "book"?

I am not really judging this yet - but this is one of those things playing in my mind when I heard about them and visited a website that sold the audio downloads. If there is no manufacturing and paper costs, etc... shouldn't the price be CHEAPER than the printed version?

Old 12-28-2009, 05:13 PM

279 posts, read 625,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
One of my hesitations is the price. It seems like the great American rip-off... pay $400 for a portable bookshelf, still pay $50 for the "book"?

I am not really judging this yet - but this is one of those things playing in my mind when I heard about them and visited a website that sold the audio downloads. If there is no manufacturing and paper costs, etc... shouldn't the price be CHEAPER than the printed version?
Not sure what pricing on audiobooks has to do with it?

eBooks for Kindle are like $10

-Steve

Old 12-30-2009, 06:44 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,582 times
Love my Kindle. I've had it for over a year. It cost $250.00. In addition to several websites that offer free downloads (project gutenberg and others, just google "free ebooks") you can find free books on Amazon. Go to the Kindle section on Amazon and "sort by price". All of the zero-dollar books are there for free downloads. Some new, some old, a nice selection overall. New, best sellers are the ones that cost $10. I've seen very few Kindle books that cost more than that.

My Kindle has paid for itself many times over. I also put a 2 GB storage device in the back of the Kindle, and when I finish a book, I just send it to storage.

The adjustable font is a bonus.

To save battery life, shut off the whispernet switch and just turn it on when you order a download.

Another cool thing: I dropped my Kindle and broke it. No, tht's not the cool part. I got a free replacement. Amazon stores all of the books you've downloaded, so I went to Amazon and re-loaded all of my books to the new Kindle.

Can you tell I'm a fan?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Just got a Kindle for Christmas and LOVE it.

Most of the "classics" are FREE. I just downloaded Sherlock Holmes and my SO is reading Dracula.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Those things are fabulous! I've been seeing lots of free books and cookbooks offered for it lately. (I think Amazon has a free Kindle area.) You can get magazines.....and very shortly....even local newspapers on them. I really think they are the product of the future as far as reading.

My oldest son is a librarian at a college. He said once they worked out all the publication rights details, college books will be available also. I think this is just great!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I bought one for my daughter and one for a friend. I'm now trying to justify buying one for myself. They look awesome. Just think...you can carry so many books around so easily!!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,284 times
I am waiting on one to be delivered TODAY!!!! We are going on a cruise next week and I'm taking it with me. Everyone I know who has one, loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets