Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:29 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Well, Apple's profits jump 90%, and the iPad is selling quite well:
Quote:
the company may sell as many as 900,000 iPads this quarter
Apple Says Profit Rises 90 Percent on IPhone Sales (Update2) - Bloomberg.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
Why buy it when you can steal it?

9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | Thief breaks shopper's finger to get hands on iPad

Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50
It's a worthless piece of crap that will flop!!!!!!!@!@!@!
Your right,IT SURE IS!!!!!!!!!!

Another cheap piece of garbage!!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:18 PM

202 posts, read 505,117 times
Here is a useful article if you are trying to find good, free iPad apps:

The 25 Best Free iPad Games | Jim Lynch: Tech Analyst and Community Manager

Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Apple leads, everyone else follows. Usually with better devices.
I am not an Apple fan but I do appreciate the way they set the bar. Then everyone jumps onboard.
How popular were touchscreen phones prior to the iPhone? Not very. Now everyone makes several.
Just like the iPad. Now everyone is scrambling to come out with thier own. And they will. And they will be better. (Google: Microsoft Courier)

But Apple seems to always lead the way (and as a result captures huge market share). Can't argue with the Apple formula for success. Or that nobody, and I mean nobody (and this is the real root of Apple's success) does marketing better then Apple.
Have you seen the Windows7 commercial where the French girl is all excited because she 'helped design' Win7? Pay close attention to that. She asked Microsoft for a computer that doesn't crash.
Seriously? Are you kidding me? Someone signed off on that commercial?

If you haven't seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZVKNxS8KeQ

Old 04-29-2010, 12:29 AM

29 posts, read 48,033 times
Most of the apps from the app store are extensions of websites anyways.

Most of the stuff you can do on the 'apps' is the same as the websites. you can go on the websites for that. so they are pointless.

I also would prefer a full os like windows 7 or unbuntu. Much more open.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:36 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
Most of the apps from the app store are extensions of websites anyways.

Most of the stuff you can do on the 'apps' is the same as the websites. you can go on the websites for that. so they are pointless.

I also would prefer a full os like windows 7 or unbuntu. Much more open.
Unless those web sites require Flash or some other verboten technology.

I can't wait to see the Android tablets that are coming. Hopefully they're half the price of the ipad.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 AM

29 posts, read 48,033 times
I can't wait for the flash replacer. flash is so bloated watching 5 videos will take up more then 512MB of my paging file alone. I gotta kill the tab process in task manager to free up that paging file space. and HTML 5 looks like it will take forever.

I would rather have a tablet that would have a browser with flashblock. I use one for IE8 and it works well. If I wanna see the flash, I can click on the link to enable it on demand. Much better.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Apple leads, everyone else follows. Usually with better devices.
I am not an Apple fan but I do appreciate the way they set the bar. Then everyone jumps onboard.
How popular were touchscreen phones prior to the iPhone? Not very. Now everyone makes several.
Just like the iPad. Now everyone is scrambling to come out with thier own. And they will. And they will be better. (Google: Microsoft Courier)

But Apple seems to always lead the way (and as a result captures huge market share). Can't argue with the Apple formula for success. Or that nobody, and I mean nobody (and this is the real root of Apple's success) does marketing better then Apple.
Have you seen the Windows7 commercial where the French girl is all excited because she 'helped design' Win7? Pay close attention to that. She asked Microsoft for a computer that doesn't crash.
Seriously? Are you kidding me? Someone signed off on that commercial?

If you haven't seen it:

YouTube - Charline's No Worries
With all due respect, Apple does NOT lead the way. Sony was first in small, portable listening devices. Apple copied. HP was before apple with tablets, Apple simply marketed better.

Apple has never had the best devices, they are just good at marketing. With any apple product you pay a third more simply because it is silver, shiny, and has an apple logo on it.

The iPad is a joke. It fills no market need. It is nothing more than a glorified toy.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:44 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
With all due respect, Apple does NOT lead the way. Sony was first in small, portable listening devices. Apple copied. HP was before apple with tablets, Apple simply marketed better.

Apple has never had the best devices, they are just good at marketing. With any apple product you pay a third more simply because it is silver, shiny, and has an apple logo on it.

The iPad is a joke. It fills no market need. It is nothing more than a glorified toy.
Like wise with all due respect. For the most part you agreed with me except for that one comment. I don't mean they lead the way as in "they were the first". Not at all.
Diamond had the first real MP3 player long before Apple ever did. The Rio something or other from 1999 I believe. But Apple "leads the way" so to speak because they market the heck out of stuff. The popularity of the MP3 player sky rocketed after Apple made (and marketed) the iPod. Palm made touch screen phones for years before Apple ever did. Yet no one else really tried to make one. Then Apple did, suddenly everyone is making them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets