Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 9,529 times

Advertisements

My long time girlfriend and I have recently moved down to Boca Raton from a small town in Michigan and boy what a culture shock it has been. We are both in our 20's and are pretty much miserable here. Where we come from originally is more of a bon-fire and pole barn kind of town where here it's more of a BMW and night club atmosphere. We don't come from money and feel almost like people look down at us every where we go. The looks I get at publix in my camo hat and cut off tee shirt are ridiculous. We would just go home but we have invested quite a bit of time and money into getting here and aren't ready to give up on Florida yet not to mention the thought of going back to snow might be worse than the stares at Publix. We are looking into going to Florida State and moving up to Tallahassee hoping to find a better fit. We both like the outdoors her more the beach than anything else, but I love to fish and hike and be in the woods. We would live off campus because we both need to work to be able to pay rent and aren't looking to come out of school with even more debt. Before we just pack up im trying to get a better feel for the area or an area close to FSU where we could live and maybe drink a beer out of a can with some neighbors rather than be stared at and looked down on by the rich mighty boca folk..

Last edited by c.dean1022; 10-28-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 09:39 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
Wow man you did get yourself into quite a pickle moving down to Boca!

You will enjoy moving up to Tallahassee much more.

I have lived here all my life, and currently go to Florida State. Tallahassee is a great city. The best part about Tallahassee is that you can be out in the country once you leave the city very quickly.

There are lots of woods around to hang out in, and places to put a boat in, and places to hunt and fish.

I think it would be a great idea for you to come to Tallahassee and visit, and see what you think.

Tallahassee looks very beautiful with its lush tree canopy, and its hills.

FSU is an awesome school, and people here are generally more southern and friendly if you get in with the right people.

I would hate to live in south florida as well, its just an empty abyss of fake rich material objects, that people think they need in their lives.

Today, it didn't get out of the 50's and I went out to the greenway and hiked around for an hour. It was a great time, Cool weather, and just me and nature.

Later tonight I went to a friends house and we made a fire and hung out there...

I really reccommend a visit, you will love it.!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 PM
TD*

You wont have a problem getting to the beach either, its a short drive from Tallahassee.

If you can tell me what kind of neighborhood you want, i can suggest some neighborhoods and if you wanna live near or away from students, etc.

I hope you don't give up on Florida either!

Its a very very diverse state, and each area is quite different than the others.

Tallahassee is only 15-20 miles from the georgia line, so you can also make day trips to cities in Georgia which is nice.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
OP!
I moved to South Florida (Lived in Boca a few years) from Wisconsin 18 years ago.
Will never get used to the Boca-hontuses.
I feel your pain and am looking at Tallahassee as well.
Good luck to you!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 AM

TD* You make Tallahassee sound like heaven my friend. I can not wait to take a trip up and see some trees and people smiling. We would probably want to live reasonably close to campus but it doesn't necessarily have to be on campus either. I have read somethings on other threads that crime can be an issue that is my only real concern. I want an area where I know my girlfriend can be home alone if im working or something. Another question would be what do job prospects look like living in a college town? I imagine a dog eat dog world. I currently work in a kitchen for a catering company and the deli at winn dixie on the weekends. My girlfriend works at a credit union as a teller and would like to stay in a credit union but the one she works at is based out of S FL. Also how is rent compared to Boca? Right now all I hear is what a great deal we got on our place even though we live in a retirement village. But we only pay 800 a month with all our utilities paid.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 PM
TD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
OP!
I moved to South Florida (Lived in Boca a few years) from Wisconsin 18 years ago.
Will never get used to the Boca-hontuses.
I feel your pain and am looking at Tallahassee as well.
Good luck to you!
come on up folks. The best kept secret in florida is the best for a reason.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 PM
TD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.dean1022 View Post
TD* You make Tallahassee sound like heaven my friend. I can not wait to take a trip up and see some trees and people smiling. We would probably want to live reasonably close to campus but it doesn't necessarily have to be on campus either. I have read somethings on other threads that crime can be an issue that is my only real concern. I want an area where I know my girlfriend can be home alone if im working or something. Another question would be what do job prospects look like living in a college town? I imagine a dog eat dog world. I currently work in a kitchen for a catering company and the deli at winn dixie on the weekends. My girlfriend works at a credit union as a teller and would like to stay in a credit union but the one she works at is based out of S FL. Also how is rent compared to Boca? Right now all I hear is what a great deal we got on our place even though we live in a retirement village. But we only pay 800 a month with all our utilities paid.
crime around campus is usually generally in the frenchtown neighborhood do not live there.

besides that living away from the student side of town has its benefits.. safety, less traffic etc. I reccomend it.

Job prospects are always tight in college towns however there are a lot of credit unions your gf could work at. no problem there.

we have lots of restaurants &grocery stores and u should be able to pick something up no problem

Rent is always tricky because it depends where u want to live. I reccomend you look for something in or near midtown.. away from the students.. you should be able to score a place for around the same price or less.. again consult a realtor or look on apartment rental websites.

Its a great city, great school, great people.

come up and start living!

Old 10-29-2012, 01:48 PM

Okay so when looking for places should my rule of thumb be to stay west of S monroe street? Im trying to look into some apartments right now could you give me a few neighborhoods to check in to? Thanks again for all your help

Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM
TD*

stay east of Monroe.

check out midtown neighborhoods on meridian and thomasville roads

Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.dean1022 View Post
Okay so when looking for places should my rule of thumb be to stay west of S monroe street? Im trying to look into some apartments right now could you give me a few neighborhoods to check in to? Thanks again for all your help
west of monroe is frenchtown (ghetto) and the strip (high crime). lots of publix and winn-dixie stores...oodles of banks and C/Us. lots of $35 or so motels if you want to scout, which i recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee