Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,545 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I'm a friendly educated gay guy, my partner and I are planning to move to Tallahassee,FL. for next year. we where looking baltimore, but we want a warmer weather. So we tought about Tallahassee, but now we have questions. How is the city of Tallahassee? how is the life style, is a vibrant city? fun? any good restaurants? Clubs? Coffeeshops, Theater? Museums? art galleries? Shopping malls? public parks? We like to go out and visit nice areas. It's safe to walk in downtown or at night? How is the rent and jobs? we work for hospitals and medical insurance . We really want a cool safe medium - small city with warm weather and cool places to visit near by. How about the Hurricanes in tallahassee? Please we need some information from people that live there and know the area for sure...tell us honestly how it is in Tallahassee city. Thank you so much. Peace.
-Z-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Have you done a search yet?
Tallahassee has been discussed before.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:42 AM

482 posts, read 2,419,040 times
Z- Tallahassee is basically the State Capital, FSU and FAMU. Not much else going on, pretty much everyone works for them or companies/services supporting them or their employees (i.e. services). I lived there 18 years and my hairdresser was gay and I just loved him but I can tell you he always felt there wasn't anything to do, had to take vacations to get away to see anything. Tallahassee, is really off of the beaten track, be sure to visit and I think you will know what I mean, As soon as my daughter went off to college, she didn't even want to go to FSU, I left and felt like I rejoined civilation becasue it is a 2 hour drive to get anywhere from Tallahassee... Panama City Beach, Gainsville, Jacksonville. Good Luck whatever you decide!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:17 PM

286 posts, read 1,232,481 times
Have you looked into Gainesville? It's alot like Tallahassee, but closer to Tampa, Orlando, Sarasota, Miami, etc. I wouldn't recommend Tallahassee, but I've known some ppl. to love it and they've never left...definitely do some more research and visit before you decide...it's one of those places that you either love or hate, IMO...

Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,003 times
Hi ziwi, Tallahassee is generally known as a great place for families and for raising kids, possibly less wonderful for singles above undergraduate age. It's a very friendly place, but it may not be the vibrant scene that you're looking for.

Life here is mostly centered around FSU (read: football), state government, and church. There is a little bit of theatre, a little night life, one decent shopping mall and one dying mall, and it's pretty safe and the weather is good if you can tolerate the hot summers. I can't speak for the gay community here, but I have a few gay friends here whose lives seem about as quiet as my own. Rents are reasonable, but with the economic downturn, jobs are becoming scarce.

It's a nice Southern town that would like to be cool like Madison WI without the winters, but it ain't even close.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,545 times
Thank you so much for all your comments and info. I think tallahasse is not a place for me then. What about Jacksonville Fl. ?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,040 times
Z-- Jacksonville is a real city in my opinion, much more economic stability, there are a lot of insurance companies based there. If I worked in Jacksonville, I'd live out at Jacksonville Beach area because I just love the beach! Be sure to post any specific questions on Jacksonville directly on the Jacksonville link where most who live there go to post.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 AM

16 posts, read 54,242 times
Jacksonville isn't bad. Doesn't have a great gay community, but there is one. And people here are pretty tolerant too.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:43 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
I would also do Jville over Tallahassee any day...unless as several posters have said u fit those married with kids demographics or 18-22. It kind of lasers in to catering to those crowds and not much in between.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:25 AM

109 posts, read 437,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziwi View Post
Hi everybody, I'm a friendly educated gay guy, my partner and I are planning to move to Tallahassee,FL. for next year. we where looking baltimore, but we want a warmer weather. So we tought about Tallahassee, but now we have questions. How is the city of Tallahassee? how is the life style, is a vibrant city? fun? any good restaurants? Clubs? Coffeeshops, Theater? Museums? art galleries? Shopping malls? public parks? We like to go out and visit nice areas. It's safe to walk in downtown or at night? How is the rent and jobs? we work for hospitals and medical insurance . We really want a cool safe medium - small city with warm weather and cool places to visit near by. How about the Hurricanes in tallahassee? Please we need some information from people that live there and know the area for sure...tell us honestly how it is in Tallahassee city. Thank you so much. Peace.
-Z-
Tallahassee is part of what is called "Redneck Riviera". I was never so happy to leave a place we lived in my life. Racism is alive and well in Tallahassee. Tolerance towards others living differently is not present in Tallahassee, in my opinion.

Last edited by UnschoolerinCT; 04-05-2009 at 04:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee