Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
..........its pure bull that only rich areas are safe in St. Pete. Gave me a good laugh. I don 't know how some of these people live so afraid of there shadow crying out about crime. Crime is scary but to come out with some of these absurd observations constantly, they must live boxed into a room with 10" thick walls to protect them from the hoodlums. They need to go back to small town America population 18 in 20 sq. miles.

I fully agree. I been walking in St Pete and I think the not as rich sections are quite safe. All you will find is homeless, nothing else really. Its pretty harmless and I always felt safe walking in the St Pete city limits when I went. These are the types of people who need to be locked away in far subdivisions who say these kinds of things and even that far out, they'll find some way to get home alarm systems installed. Not a thing city folks do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjj1488 View Post
For a 24 yr old, you would definitely want to live in Hyde Park. It's filled with young professionals who like to have a good time. Much less of a commute to plant city as well vs st. pete.

Question though sjj, Where in St Pete is very similar to Hyde Park? I only hear Hyde Park is the more unaffordable part of Tampa and I am looking for affordable. How many housemates should I room with if considering Hyde Park? I know its a real good area, but haven't been there personally.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Most of the young people don't live in houses in Hyde Park; rather, they live in apartments or condos. I think the area between Platt and Kennedy has cheaper rents and probably more young people renting actual homes. This area also has more homes that have been subdivided into apartments.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Most of the young people don't live in houses in Hyde Park; rather, they live in apartments or condos. I think the area between Platt and Kennedy has cheaper rents and probably more young people renting actual homes. This area also has more homes that have been subdivided into apartments.
Is it the E Kennedy area near Downtown and Platt in Hyde Park area?

I think its also a decent area to pay cheaper in too imo.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
No, E. Kennedy (which is a very short area) would be the Channelside area, though that is right next door (and within walking distance) to Downtown. A lot of condo towers popped up over the last decade and I think some of them may still be underoccupied.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:30 PM

20 posts, read 122,615 times
It would be crazy to live in St. Pete and work in Plant City. However St. Pete has some fun stuff to do. Better to live in Tampa and be closer to Plant City though. You can still enjoy the night life in both St. Pete and Tampa!

Hyde Park is a good area for young professionals, but also check the rest of South Tampa, and maybe the Post Rocky Point apartments by the airport, too.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM

451 posts, read 933,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Question though sjj, Where in St Pete is very similar to Hyde Park? I only hear Hyde Park is the more unaffordable part of Tampa and I am looking for affordable. How many housemates should I room with if considering Hyde Park? I know its a real good area, but haven't been there personally.
There are steals to be had in Hyde Park and SoHo. If you're quite careful about your research, you can snag a studio or 1-bedroom for under $600. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can find nice properties between $700 and $800. Here's a great example of a nice-looking apartment in a prime location, just $595:
S. Tampa, SOHO, Hyde Park (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1829763011.html - broken link)

The key is staying south of Kennedy and, if possible, east of Dale Mabry. That gives you a big chunk of land to look through for living. For the most part, this area is safe, young and quite happening.

If you have other questions about SoHo/Hyde, feel free to PM me. I recently signed a lease, having spent much of the summer apartment hunting (and two years researching). Of course, City-Data is about the best research tool there is for this kind of thing.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,098 times
Unfortunately if you are going to work in Plant City, then you need to live in Tampa. The kind of lifestyle you want is in St. Pete - great dog parks, the beaches are close by and a decent night life can be found.

Good luck and welcome to Tampa Bay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay