Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,916 times

Advertisements

If you need good upload and download speed like i do FIOS is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
The other consideration is that BH is month-to-month, and Verizon you have to sign an annual contract (unless they have dropped this requirement, which is sounds like they might have.)

RM
Verizon is month to month now. I just signed up and signed no contract

Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Apparently it varies by area. My Mom lives in the Orlando area and has had nothing but service nightmares with BrightHouse. Also whenever there is a heavy storm she loses cable service for a couple of days. The techs who have come out to work on issues have been a nightmare also. If the box is suspected to be faulty, wouldn't you think to bring a new one? Nope, not the genius that came out for her last service call. She had to wait two more days until one of those hard-to-find boxes could be located.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Apparently it varies by area. My Mom lives in the Orlando area and has had nothing but service nightmares with BrightHouse. Also whenever there is a heavy storm she loses cable service for a couple of days. The techs who have come out to work on issues have been a nightmare also. If the box is suspected to be faulty, wouldn't you think to bring a new one? Nope, not the genius that came out for her last service call. She had to wait two more days until one of those hard-to-find boxes could be located.
It does vary by area - my B'House service in Lakeland was pretty bad, but in Pasco and Manatee - top notch.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 AM

335 posts, read 939,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The part that i made red is the most important thing...Most people don't complain about Verizon for their receiving or quality of the cable...

It is their customer service that is so terrible that you will run faster than you normally would run...
I agree, but I so rarely need customer service that it is worth it for me to have their far superior (IMO) cable/internet services. The internet is fantastic on Fios. Brighthouse was such a complete nightmare for cable/internet services and customer service I won't go back.

For Verizon come to think of it, the one time my router died they had someone out the next day and installed a new one in minutes. I guess the bad experiences stick out because that was a good one!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
My main complain with Verizon was with the cell phone bill but that was all incl. in my cable box, internet, etc...

As for the cable box and internet, I had no issues with Verizon except for when I moved and was out of service for a long period which they blamed on me for not giving notice on time (7 days ), the last time I gave notice a month prior and repeated to let them know just to make sure nothing could go wrong...and after 4 days of not having service we were done with their excuses and 2 hours later we had Bright House...

That was almost 5 years ago and we are happy Bright House customers as long as they don't raise the bill again...

I have ATT for my cell phone and no issues with their billing and only the first 1.5 yr the connection wasn't great but that was solved when new towers were installed and my service is great.

No hassle with customer service anymore...

I would suggest that any one who wants to decide which provider, starts googling the customer service of whatever company and then decide what to do...perhaps Verizon fired all the bad people and they might have become better with their service...but after my experience...I will not go back...

Old 08-25-2010, 01:29 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I have BrightHouse, but only for internet. I decided that when we move we would only use internet to watch TV. Customer service has been good so far. Install was at the time they said it would be. I had an issue with my router, I thought it was the internet service. Brighthouse assisted me in fixing my own personal router. That was nice. Hold time was not long.

I have been pleased with the speeds of their 10mbps package. I hear they do home networking as well, which I may look into since I seem to constantly be fighting my router.

Not sure I will ever go back to cable or satellite TV again. I have a machine whose sole purpose is to be connected to the TV and Surround Sound. We use my personal laptop to watch movies in bed or set it up in the kids rooms. Widescreen laptops are plenty large enough for this.

I am saving a ton of money considering I would have had internet anyhow. I have Netflix and use their streaming service almost daily. Its pretty awesome having tens of thousands of movies on demand. The big TV networks have most of their shows available to watch on line and HULU fills up most of the other gaps. Unfortunately you cannot stream NFL games (at least not that I am aware of) once the season starts. I also am unable to find Discovery Channel full episodes... which is a bummer. Either way, I spend less time watching TV and always have something to watch for DW and the kids if needed. If you don;t count my internet bill as part of my TV bill, I pay $8.95/mo for TV (Netflix Subscription).

Old 08-25-2010, 01:49 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Unfortunately you cannot stream NFL games (at least not that I am aware of) once the season starts. I also am unable to find Discovery Channel full episodes... which is a bummer. Either way, I spend less time watching TV and always have something to watch for DW and the kids if needed. If you don;t count my internet bill as part of my TV bill, I pay $8.95/mo for TV (Netflix Subscription).
Try espn3.com. It does all kind of sports..

Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 PM

91 posts, read 334,536 times
In my opinion Fios vs Brighthouse is like comparing apples to oranges.

Steady signal...I can download a movie and my kids can play over the internet without a problem.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:20 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
^^^ With which one?

We have Brighthouse and we can do what you describe so I assume you mean Bright house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay