Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,566 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into buying our first home. We currently are renting an apartment on the border of Seminole and Largo for $1024 a mo. Basically, we've been "throwing our money away" by renting...but we haven't had enought money for a down payment to buy.

Now we've inherited enought money to make a good down payment on a house. We really like Spring Hill because it seems so much less congested and expensive than Pinellas county. And the schools here in Pinellas Park are not so good.

We are looking for a house in the 50,000-60,000 range or less. Our main concern is the neighborhoods...are the any areas to avoid? We have a daughter in early elementary school. Are there any schools that are sub-par?

And lastly, is it true that some neighborhoods are full of sinkhole potential and that is the reason the house prices are so low? We are just amazed at the number of homes available at low prices.

Thanks,
Footprints
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 02:43 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
You really should do some homework pick out a few areas and drive up and ride around some different areas. Youre really not that far away. There's some pretty good deals if you look around. Do your riding around on the weekend when there's people around. That can tell you a lot about certain areas.There are parts of Spring Hill that are nice and there are some parts that are not so nice.Take a ride up and look around. Good Luck

Old 11-24-2010, 03:03 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Ken offers good advice. There is a lot of diversity in housing in Spring Hill and you can have a lot of choices based on your wants and needs. COME ON UP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footprints1973 View Post
My husband and I are looking into buying our first home. We currently are renting an apartment on the border of Seminole and Largo for $1024 a mo. Basically, we've been "throwing our money away" by renting...but we haven't had enought money for a down payment to buy.

Now we've inherited enought money to make a good down payment on a house. We really like Spring Hill because it seems so much less congested and expensive than Pinellas county. And the schools here in Pinellas Park are not so good.

We are looking for a house in the 50,000-60,000 range or less. Our main concern is the neighborhoods...are the any areas to avoid? We have a daughter in early elementary school. Are there any schools that are sub-par?

And lastly, is it true that some neighborhoods are full of sinkhole potential and that is the reason the house prices are so low? We are just amazed at the number of homes available at low prices.

Thanks,
Footprints

Old 11-25-2010, 07:16 AM

436 posts, read 1,121,078 times
I've heard numerous horror stories about sinkholes (my family has dealt with it there as well). It also feels VERY far away all the way up there.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:08 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
There is a lot of sinkhole activity up this way. Its the geology. You could get a test for problems today that shows negative and a week from now have a sink hole. However, most of the sinkhole insurance claims made are for no more than settling and shoddy construction practices.

Yes, it does feel VERY far away. That's what's nice about it, but jump on the Suncoast and you're in Tampa in an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
I've heard numerous horror stories about sinkholes (my family has dealt with it there as well). It also feels VERY far away all the way up there.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 6,566 times
We've visited SH two times so far; once on a Saturday and once on a Sunday. Everything seemed very nice. Very quiet. Went to a nice little park with our daughter. Lots of friendly people there.

It really isn't that far from Pinellas Park...took us an hour and 15 minutes using the Suncoast Parkway or US 19.

I work in Largo currently and I think the commute would be pretty long. But I used to live in suburban Chicago and my commute was over an hour. And with snow...it was much much longer. Won't have the snow in FL.

Thanks everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!

Footprints1973

Old 11-26-2010, 04:56 AM

436 posts, read 1,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There is a lot of sinkhole activity up this way. Its the geology. You could get a test for problems today that shows negative and a week from now have a sink hole. However, most of the sinkhole insurance claims made are for no more than settling and shoddy construction practices.

Yes, it does feel VERY far away. That's what's nice about it, but jump on the Suncoast and you're in Tampa in an hour.
I guess that could be considered a pro, if that's what you're looking for. It's all personal preference. People should be aware of what they're getting into, though.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footprints1973 View Post

It really isn't that far from Pinellas Park...took us an hour and 15 minutes using the Suncoast Parkway or US 19.
That commute will get old real fast on a daily basis in rush hour..
Also the $60K homes in Spring Hill area are probably going to be in the proverbial low rent district,

Old 11-27-2010, 08:32 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That commute will get old real fast on a daily basis in rush hour..
Also the $60K homes in Spring Hill area are probably going to be in the proverbial low rent district,
I saw one off Waterfall this morning for $47.000 .That always was a half decent area. This area changed quick.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I agree most of the homes in the Waterfall area are very nice, my Mom and Dad live up that way off Angora, had no idea houses could be had for under $50K. Hey if you can get a nice 3 bedroom house in that neighborhood for under $50K jump on it!!.
I'd still worry about that daily commute to Pinellas Park becoming the real Albatross to living in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay