Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 07:54 PM

644 posts, read 1,484,276 times

Advertisements

In answer to Nickbosey's question about why I don't like Tampa's highways, it's a female thing; guys are usually fine with it. What I don't like is the double decker curving rollercoaster way the highways are organized going into Tampa, and the heavy amounts of traffic going at high speed.

I drove all over Fla. for two months this winter (and last winter also), and Tampa's highways into downtown and over to I-4 got my vote as Most Scary.

Every time I drove there, I remember thinking, "well, this rules this area out . . ." I may end up in Sarasota or Bradenton or someplace else instead. I also love downtown St. Pete and Snell Isle. I found the driving easier and much less intimidating in these places, although crowded at times.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 08:26 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,301,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
What I don't like is the double decker curving rollercoaster way the highways are organized going into Tampa,
The only two-level freeway on all of Florida's West Coast (and maybe even the state) is the Crosstown Expressway. If you also include flyovers and overpasses, well, then that rules out nearly every freeway in the country, plus quite a few local streets, like Dale Mabry.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:37 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
I think we need to find out if you work and if so in what area. what is your budget for buying/renting?

You don't have to drive on any highway to get to downtown it is just going to take longer. What about S. Tampa if you want to be close to 'Tampa' meaning downtown that is where I would live.

Westchase, Citrus Park and Carrollwood are all good areas.. If you don't like driving on the interstate then you are going to want to live close to work. BTW.. I hate I-4 too.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:14 PM

I'm 57, just retired so may not work, but I also might try to volunteer or find something part-time in the medical field or a hospital. For this and reasons of proximity to restaurants, shopping, financial centers, etc. I'd like to be within 10 miles of the downtown area where things are happening. I'm looking for a single story detached home around $250K or less, newer construction.

I have heard South Tampa recommended by others also.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:32 PM

100 posts, read 367,142 times
Gardenpearl, South Tampa and Westchase are in close proximity to several restaurants, shops, etc.

I don't know what time frame you're looking for, in terms of "newer construction". Most of the homes in Westchase have been built between 1996 and 2000. The newest home you can find there might be a 2003 home. Most of the homes in South Tampa are even older. It'll be very difficult to find a "new" construction there for $250k. Most of the homes in Carrollwood are also much older but they have some recent constructions, and I have seen some of those homes being sold for $250K or so.

Overall, in this housing market, you should get a decent home in many nice neighborhoods for $250k.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 AM

What area is considered South Tampa; are we talking near the air force base, or over in the area of Apollo Beach, etc. or both? Thanks.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
I'm 57, just retired so may not work, but I also might try to volunteer or find something part-time in the medical field or a hospital. For this and reasons of proximity to restaurants, shopping, financial centers, etc. I'd like to be within 10 miles of the downtown area where things are happening. I'm looking for a single story detached home around $250K or less, newer construction.

I have heard South Tampa recommended by others also.
"Downtown" Tampa is a business center only; there's very little fun stuff going on there. "South Tampa" includes a bunch of neighborhoods north of the air force base and south of Kennedy, though the best neighborhoods are between Bay to Bay and Kennedy. South Tampa has much more in the way of restaurants; you'd still be driving to the mall for shopping, but International Plaza (which my wife prefers...) is nearby.

That said, downtown and South Tampa are close to each other -- most things within 10 miles of one will be within 10 miles of both. Of course, I don't think I'd make my cutoff 10 miles, or any measure of distance, since driving time is likely much, much more important. Is a 30 minute (or less) non-rush-hour drive from downtown and South Tampa what you want?

Within 30 not-rush-hour minutes, there are a lot of different kinds of neighborhoods. What are you looking for in a neighborhood? Is new(er) construction a deal-breaker or a nice-to-have? For example, Westchase is not anything at all like South Tampa, so if you like what Westchase offers (master planned community, long distance from town, community pools, [some] gated neighborhoods, little housing variability within neighborhoods, houses 5-15 years old, etc.), I would strongly recommend against South Tampa.

Also, although the recommendations so far in this thread are mostly in Hillsborough county, I would note that housing generally costs less in Pinellas county, and lots of Pinellas would be within 30 not-rush-hour minutes of downtown Tampa or South Tampa. And you might not even end up going to Tampa at all if you're satisfied with restaurants, shopping and volunteer opportunities in Pinellas.

To that end, you posted that you love downtown St. Pete and Snell Isle. Why not live there? For $250k you might be able to find a single family home on Snell. It's not going to be new construction, though. You would certainly be able to find a small single family home at that price in the Old Northeast (which is east of 4th St and between downtown and Snell), but, again, it's not going to be new construction. From the Old NE, you could walk to restaurants/shopping in downtown St. Pete, drive <30 minutes to several hospitals, and you'd be 15 minutes to the beach (potentially important to out of town guests, even if not you). If Pinellas didn't offer enough for you in terms of dining/nightlife/volunteer, St. Pete isn't more than about 30 not-rush-hour minutes to downtown Tampa (via 275, which is just a normal highway with a long bridge, and not a rollercoaster at all.)

Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the info on the different neighborhoods. I will look at South Tampa, as it sounds like it has some good aspects to it.

I am seriously considering St. Pete, as I have been vacationing there for 15 years and love certain things about it. However, my favorite areas (downtown, Old Northeast, and Snell Isle) have virtually nothing available in gated communities or newer homes, as you've pointed out, and some areas of St. Pete, which was never the safest town anyway, seem to have declined in safety since the economy turned south a few years ago.

St. Pete seems to be primarily either 1920's bungalows or high-rise condos, some of which are very nice and which I have considered, but I want to explore some other areas before I make a decision. Older homes and condos with associations often come with problems; that's what I've owned up here in CT, so I'd like a change. Ideally, I'd like a new construction single story home with all new applicances, etc.

This is why I'm branching out a bit and looking at Tampa, Bradenton, even as far south as Sarasota. Bradenton has a lot of the type of new gated communities with new concrete block villas that I like, so I may spend some time in that area. Being in between Sarasota and St. Pete may not be too bad, actually. And I have heard good things about Sarasota Memorial Hospital. I don't know much about St. Pete's Bayfront.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 AM

8 posts, read 18,225 times
Stay away from West Park Village appartments - they have been plagued with MOLD issues. Have known several close friends who experienced significant health issues, while they resided in those apartments. Management is in denial - don't bother trying to win that fight.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 15,661 times
We were thinking of Westchase, but I heard that you can see gators from time to time :S
it looks like a nice clean area...we just moved to Tampa this week, and I totally agree on the driving part...whats wrong with the people here? its worse than DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay