Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,121 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a 27 year old male, currently living in the capitol hill neighborhood of Denver, CO. I have lived in Denver my whole life. I was thinking of moving to the Tampa Bay area, but don't know a lot about it. Any suggestions of what areas or neighborhoods I might like would be amazing.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,849 times
Why oh why! I'm looking for ways to move to Denver from here, well maybe in a few years

Based on short description you gave, i would suggest South Tampa. It's the area where young professionals tend to stay of 25-35ish year olds. If you want more specific answers, please give us more requirements from your side

Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Perhaps you should spend some time here on City-Data reading older threads. Also, if you told us a bit about what you like to do and your monthly housing budget, we might be able to give you some suggestions. As it is now, your post is too vague for a logical response.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 6,121 times
Sorry about the short, vague post. I plan on living in an apartment, studio is fine with me, and my budget is around 600 to 800 a month for rent and utilities. I like going out on the weekends to bars, I hate fancy dress up clubs. One thing I really like about where I am now is how close everything is, I can walk or take a short bus into downtown or to shop or eat. Where I live now also has a lot of young people around my age, which I really like. Not sure what other info would help, I am very laid back and go with the flow.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 PM

51 posts, read 167,403 times
I live in Littleton right now (23 M) and am planning on moving down to St. Pete in August hopefully. Bored of Denver too eh? Do some research into downtown St. Pete as well (I just visited a few weeks ago). South Tampa/downtown St. Pete seem to be the best spots for younger people and nightlife.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:43 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Fly down and visit for an extended period first. Tampa is not walkable, pretty much you would be in South Tampa for the little bit of walkability. Something tells me you will be missing Denver pretty soon, yes, there is the ocean here, but as far as the landscape and the natural beauty it is very different.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:42 AM

53 posts, read 223,550 times
I lived in Denver Metro for 2 years (Westminster for a year, then the Denver/Lake'hood border) and worked in the DTC. I've seen both sides I guess you could say.

Get ready for a huge adjustment. The beaches are great, the air is thicker, your car will feel faster and louder.

The nightlife scene is more spread out around here, in various pockets. Its more patchwork here than lets say in Denver, how mostly everything is concentrated around LoDo or Cherry Creek. But the bulk of it is in South Tampa (around Howard Ave and Hyde Park) reminds me of the Highlands in Denver and in St Pete to get that LoDo/Cherry Creek/South Denver feel in either area.

Denver is a more true city on paper than around here. Central Business core (sans DTC), downtown/nightlife, then ring of dense suburbs, ring of light suburbs, ring of rural. Here its more all over the place. Downtown Tampa is the meat and potatoes of the area (all business, but they say that'll change soon), St Pete is better at combining buisness and pleasure.

Its more casual here than lets say the Northeast, but similar to that more laid back like Denver.

I miss:
the Front Range scenery
Waterworld
Blackhawk
Mountain biking in Vail, Skiing A-Basin/Loveland
Prairie Dogs
riding down the hill on I-70 in neutral and overheating my brakes
Inches of snow/blizzard at 7am on my way to work, not a sign of snow on the way home at 5pm (and even the windows down)

I like it here, I liked Denver too for the most part (except that snobbish "Native" attitude from some of them Denverites). You'll hear a million responses from everyone. Come check it out for a full week or so. Come now actually when the weather is generally at its worst temp/humidity wise with t-storms daily and bugs. Winters here are like late spring in Denver. 70s and Dry. And don't worry about hurricanes, there is plenty of warning to get out!

Denver and Tampa are six of a dozen, half of twelve. Its more of a laterally movement than anything. Give up this, gain that....

Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boru25 View Post
Sorry about the short, vague post. I plan on living in an apartment, studio is fine with me, and my budget is around 600 to 800 a month for rent and utilities. I like going out on the weekends to bars, I hate fancy dress up clubs. One thing I really like about where I am now is how close everything is, I can walk or take a short bus into downtown or to shop or eat. Where I live now also has a lot of young people around my age, which I really like. Not sure what other info would help, I am very laid back and go with the flow.
Ok so South Tampa or St. Pete downtown could be the areas you should look into, they are somewhat walkable and inhabited by mostly younger people. 800 for your top range might be pushing to get a place in the area since South Tampa is one of premier areas to live in, can't say about St. Pete prices tho. But with some dedication in search you could find a place that fits your budget.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 PM

9 posts, read 31,190 times
definetly south tampa or st. pete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: