Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 AM

13 posts, read 70,944 times

Advertisements

How do people like it?

We have two small children.

Love the water.

Not sure about being that far out from Tampa...

Crime?

Home School groups?

How are the public schools?

Lots of kids in the neighborhood?

Is it all what its cracked up to be??

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 07:31 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,607,258 times
I don't live there but I have friends who do and it's a very active community. Here's their website MiraBay by Newland Communities | Waterfront Living| Tampa, Florida. I'd say the best part is the abundance of things to do and the worst part is the location.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
Somewhat expensive living isn't it - CDD/HOA-wise?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 AM

265 posts, read 975,456 times
I live across the street in Harbour Isles, and in hindsight I should have bought in Mira Bay. I have several friends there and the long and short of it is this... Lots of speculation buyers in that community really killed it from 2007-2011. Home prices plummetted and there are still quite a few homes for sale that have never been occupied. The community is clean, there are lots of kids, and the quality of the ammenities are consistent with the HOA/CDD fees.

The people that bash on Apollo Beach probably havent seen the amount of growth in the Big Bend Rd area over the past year or are terrified of the steam coming from the power plant(most of which blows directly into Riverview...)

Old 07-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Firestone, Tires-Plus, Autozone, and a few other auto repair shops, along w/ a Sams' Club, CVS, BK, Chase Bank isn't really what I'd call a great amount of growth on Big Bend considering they had talked about a hospital, and possibly a mall, but that ain't happening.

I still don't like looking at the TECO power station, even from where I live on US 301.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 PM

Most of those businesses you listed are service industries. Those businesses wouldn't be dropping in if there wasnt population and money to support them. In this economy any growth is hard to find and the area is doing well when compared to surrounding areas and certainly better than many in Hillsborough Co. I expect more of the same if and when the economy turns around.

As for the Mall and the Hospital, who knows what will happen with those? I dont think the area has the infrastructure to support a major Mall to begin with, so I'm not disappointed by its demise. The hospital would be nice, but I think they are still trying to get a Certificate of Need.

As for the TECO Plant, its like anything else and becomes part of the background in no time. I drive by it daily and pay no attention to it.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 PM

I'd wish they'd fill up that strip mall across from you - where that Sweetbay is located. I'd support businesses there. Plan on going to that new Chinese Buffet restaurant when it opens.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Plan on going to that new Chinese Buffet restaurant when it opens.
It's open, I guess about two weeks ago now. Very large place and it was absolutely slammed during the opening weekend. I tried it with the family, it was alright but nothing to get excited about.

The crowds there looked pretty slim this weekend, perhaps others felt the same way..

Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 PM

okay, probably need to skip the buffets anyway -

Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 PM

181 posts, read 357,370 times
I have a friend who lives in Mira Bay. She loves it, I thought the houses were large and nice for the price range. Yes there were kids playing in the street. I don't know about other ammenities, but they had a pool and close enough to the shore you could smell the saltwater. It is out of the way, I'd say 40 to 45 min to Tampa. However, anyplace that has large houses for lower prices is going to be a drive.

A lot of the people outside of the development are country/ farm workers, many migrants. So as you pull from a larger area of children, say middle school & up the schools have more diversity including more poor children. I don't think that means they're worse schools, just have some challenges with language barriers and support at home as you get into more challenging coursework. Also, expect the grocery, bars, etc to have a mix of hard working tomatoe pickers who live in trailers to white collar families living pretty nice on one income. I haven't seen too much conflict because of it, but you should be aware of the cultural mix down in Ruskin.

I love it. We have Dominican Republicans to our right, Phillipeans to our left, Texans and New Yorkers accross the street. My daughters' best friends are southern Alabamian, African American and German/African American. All working families (police, teachers, engineers, welder)... the diversity is awesome but can be shocking for someone not around here. You won't experience that IN Mira Bay, but the community/schools around... WalMart, Fast Food, Shopping Areas, Beaches, etc.

Last edited by CMor2Day; 07-19-2011 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay