Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:51 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
The Intersection of I-4 and I-275 is not a bad idea. I said putting it in Lakeland is not a smart idea because it'll be like Orlando is stealing the Team. Tampa is cool with Orlando but they are not going to share the team. Not one of their teams has had or offered a preseason game in any of our Facilities but both Miami and Orlando has done the same for Tampa (basketball). To me Tampa is stingy, and so is Orlando so I just think the Rays should stay in the general Hillsborough County area. people from Orlando will not mind going to Hillsborough thats just one county away but the bridge hassle? NO
Thanks for at least justifying your response w/o a chip on your shoulder. I don't see anything wrong with sharing the team if it means keeping them in Florida. Ft. Worth & Dallas share the Rangers; they're called the Texas Rangers and not the Dallas Rangers. I-4 is a heavily traveled route and I don't see anything wrong with having a stadium in the Lakeland area or the I-4/I-275 intersection. I, for one, being an Orlando resident would go to 20 more games a year if the stadium was in Lakeland.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:53 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
The Intersection of I-4 and I-275 is not a bad idea. I said putting it in Lakeland is not a smart idea because it'll be like Orlando is stealing the Team. Tampa is cool with Orlando but they are not going to share the team. Not one of their teams has had or offered a preseason game in any of our Facilities but both Miami and Orlando has done the same for Tampa (basketball). To me Tampa is stingy, and so is Orlando so I just think the Rays should stay in the general Hillsborough County area. people from Orlando will not mind going to Hillsborough thats just one county away but the bridge hassle? NO
The Fairgrounds / 75/4 area takes the pinellas county market further out of play, that's why I dont like it. There is also no "support infrastructure" out there AT ALL (hotels/restaurants, etc)

Old 07-23-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Thanks for at least justifying your response w/o a chip on your shoulder. I don't see anything wrong with sharing the team if it means keeping them in Florida. Ft. Worth & Dallas share the Rangers; they're called the Texas Rangers and not the Dallas Rangers. I-4 is a heavily traveled route and I don't see anything wrong with having a stadium in the Lakeland area or the I-4/I-275 intersection. I, for one, being an Orlando resident would go to 20 more games a year if the stadium was in Lakeland.
In case you have never been there, the area from Ft. Worth to Dallas is considered one solid metro area with Arlington in the middle of them. It is pretty much filled in with population and development on the I-30 corridor. You cannot say that about the I-4 corridor between Lakeland and Tampa.

Also, population FACTS:

Arlington Population:332969
Lakeland Population:78452

Old 07-23-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
After berating you for not coming up with it for yourself, I suggested to you that there is not a sufficient population base within a 30 minute drive of Lakeland to support a major league franchise/stadium.

If you fail to think that this is a relevant statistic, then I cant help you.

Lakeland Demographics:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Who said it had be all based on resident population ? How far is Disney from Lakeland ? Been to Disney ? Did you see all of the vacationers who might want to attend a major league game ?

You've obviously never been to southern New Hampshire as I see from your categorization ...

Take your anger and move it elsewhere ... you've obviously very close-minded and have a major chip on your shoulder. Were you one of the Casey Anthony jurors ?

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:54 AM..

Old 07-23-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Who said it had be all based on resident population ? How far is Disney from Lakeland ? Been to Disney ? Did you see all of the vacationers who might want to attend a major league game ?
If tourists have no interest in seeing the Rays. Unless they are from NY or Boston, in which case they will drive the distance.

Quote:
You've obviously never been to southern New Hampshire as I see from your categorization ...
I have no desire. You obviously dont either, as you moved away.

Quote:
Take your anger and move it elsewhere ... you've obviously very close-minded and have a major chip on your shoulder. Were you one of the Casey Anthony jurors ?
No, but I would love to bang her down pretty good. She's too pretty for jail

Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
The Fairgrounds / 75/4 area takes the pinellas county market further out of play, that's why I dont like it. There is also no "support infrastructure" out there AT ALL (hotels/restaurants, etc)
And thats what I'm afraid of too. But Look At Amway Center in orlando. I mean it COULD WORK if Tampa does better.

Quote:
I understand that. But Dallas/Ft.Worth are a Megaregion. We are not a Megaregion yet. Plus what hotels and further accomodations does Lakeland have?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I understand that. But Dallas/Ft.Worth are a Megaregion. We are not a Megaregion yet. Plus what hotels and further accomodations does Lakeland have?
I understand that the resident population is lower than Dallas/Ft.Worth. But IMO, you have to take the Disney tourists into account and if you build it, they will come. Hotels/restaurants would spring up IF the stadium project was approved.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
That's what he is failing to admit. Lakeland is nothing but a podunk town in the middle of nowhere and always will be. Arlington is right in the middle of the Dallas/Ft. Worth MEGALOPOLIS. There are more cows, pigs and welfare recipients than people who can afford a ticket to a Rays game within a 30 minute drive of Lakeland. Arlington does not have that problem.

You do not build a business model on "well, maybe some tourists visiting the mouse may drive 40 minutes each way to see a baseball game". You build it on your permanent FAN BASE.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I understand that the resident population is lower than Dallas/Ft.Worth. But IMO, you have to take the Disney tourists into account and if you build it, they will come. Hotels/restaurants would spring up IF the stadium project was approved.

No, they will not.

You likely have not been here very long, so I will give you a pretty good case study on why what you are suggesting is flat out wrong.

Do a little research on Circus World and Boardwalks and Baseball. You will see why your reasoning is flawed. Hell, while you are at it, see: Cypress Gardens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYNUW...eature=related

Then go away...

Last edited by crazynip; 07-23-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
You do not build a business model on "well, maybe some tourists visiting the mouse may drive 40 minutes each way to see a baseball game". You build it on your permanent FAN BASE.
Your permanent fan base is minimal in case you hadn't noticed and most of Florida is transient and loyal to the teams from the area that they moved from. How many Rays vs Yankees/Red Sox games have you been to ? More than half the stadium roots for the other team ...

So looking to utilize tourist income to fill a stadium is not far-fetched ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay