Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times

Advertisements

Rays would be a lot better if their players would spend more time on the practice field and less time getting drunk in the bars until they close night after night.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 AM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Rays would be a lot better if their players would spend more time on the practice field and less time getting drunk in the bars until they close night after night.
I've noticed that you make a lot of negative and inflammatory comments on CD. You do know that the Rays are one of the top 5-6 teams in baseball this year, right? Have you seen a bunch of Rays out late, drinking? Is that what you do, stay out, drinking?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Do you see them in bars at night? Which bars?

I think for the most part, the team is over achieving except for Longoria, Upton, and a Shoppach and a couple of the pitchers. Many of the other players wouldn't be on a major league squad.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:01 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
A new stadium would make the MLB happy and give work to some of the unemployed for a while. I wince to think how much it would cost to buy land and build a new one though. Could it be done without the taxpayers having to bear the cost? That (taxpayer burden) always seems a bit unfair to me since a good portion of Florida's revenue comes from tourists. If this was covered already, I apologize. I didn't read every post in the thread.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:11 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Word is that another tax on tourist would be earmarked to build the stadium (hotel, rental cars). The price for a stadium has been placed at $400-500 million.

Since not everyone is a sports fan or baseball fan, not sure why anyone other than the team's owners should pay.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Let them move, as long as we have football and hockey, I am fine with that. We dont need baseball or basketball.

Let our greedy owner see if the grass is greener elsewhere. Maybe he can move to Oklahoma City like the greedy owners of the Seattle Supersonics did

Old 07-22-2011, 10:05 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Ignoring that post, I'd drive to see a rays game, if the staidum were built in downtown Tampa. I'm not driving across that bridge to see a rays game though. I feel as though the stadium should be built in a prime location. SO WHAT who cares how bad a neighborhood is. Example in Orlando Amway Arena and Amway Center are boarding the "paramore" neighborhood of Orlando, and we have sold out every game. Yes I know it's basketball, but we have a transient population, and all of that other nonsense some people has posted. Transient population HAS NOTHING to do with attendance because whether people are cheering for the home team are not, they still are going to come to see which ever team they want to support. Right or wrong?
You only have one major sports team in Orlando, so there is no competition for sports dollars. I know people that rotate their season tickets between Tampa teams annually, because they like all three but obviously can't afford to attend 81 + 41 + 8 + pre-season + post-season games every year.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
How can the location card NOT be played? It's hard to dispute a study that was objectively done. Here are the results...downtown Tampa is the place that has the most people within a 30 minute drive, and beats out downtown St Pete by a large margin.
I think you missed the point of my post, which is that moving the team from the Trop to downtown Tampa doesn't help you get home to Wesley Chapel materially earlier. It's 20 minutes of highway time between the two -- and if more people go, you'd lose that 20 minutes just getting out of the parking lot. Plus, the study implies that the north end of St. Pete (Gateway) would be be comparable to downtown Tampa, and the Gateway area is only 10 minutes from the Trop.

Location is important, as I posted before. I disagree with your get-home-late reason.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:48 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
I think you missed the point of my post, which is that moving the team from the Trop to downtown Tampa doesn't help you get home to Wesley Chapel materially earlier. It's 20 minutes of highway time between the two -- and if more people go, you'd lose that 20 minutes just getting out of the parking lot. Plus, the study implies that the north end of St. Pete (Gateway) would be be comparable to downtown Tampa, and the Gateway area is only 10 minutes from the Trop.

Location is important, as I posted before. I disagree with your get-home-late reason.
Have you ever made that drive? I can get to downtown Tampa in about 30 minutes. It's close to an hour to downtown St Pete.

And it's not just me...did you read my post? 1.1M people within 30 minutes of the Trop. 1.8M within 30 minutes of downtown Tampa...and more people with higher incomes, more companies with employees...

those are not disputable figures. The Trop is a bad location, and if you're going to move the stadium, it should be placed in the most optimal location...downtown Tampa.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:53 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Where could they even built it downtown? The old Central Park Village land is already accounted for. The only other place is that area just north of the Ice Palace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay