Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:48 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times

Advertisements

Hello CD friends. Need some help here. Getting the old fence removed and the new one installed as we speak. The issue is that the new fence is being pushed out further from the pool but it is going down a slow which will allow us to see over the top of the 6' fence. I cannot have a taller fence than 6' built, it is illegal to do so.

I need suggestions on ways to line the fence so privacy will extend 2 - 3 feet taller than the 6' fence. I would love something tropical but it needs to be relatively inexpensive and/or fast growing. Ultimately I would love something that is 8' tall out of the box so privacy would be instant. We're looking at about 60' of fencing.

Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
My first thoughts went to either Oleander or Hibiscus. Both have beatiful flowers, they're prolific, and they can be sheered into bushes or trees. IIRC, the oleander has some poisonous parts though I don't remember what (but then, we don't eat them either).

Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
Some kind of myrtle, if you like that . They grow fast. Here's a link:

Wax Myrtle Trees | Wax Myrtles

Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Sea grape gets big and bushy, but it's messy. Oleander works good.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 PM

663 posts, read 1,145,112 times
Travelers palms or birds of paradise. They're beautiful, tropical, and grow very fast.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Absolutely love Hibiscus, but not sure if I could find any that 8 - 10 feet tall In fact, they are one of our favorite types of plants. Love the huge flowers, nothing like it back at home.

Just looked up Oleander. Looks pretty and would love to find some more mature specimens of this plant. Looked on Craigslist and was unable to find any. A bit concerned about the poisonous nature of it though.

Sea Grape looks pretty neat, I like how they turn red... but they are messy I'll pass.

I have thought of Wax Myrtle, but they're just too boring.

Love Birds of Paradise but am having a hard time finding specimens that are at least 8' tall. Any suggestions?

Anyone know of a nursery in the area that would carry some of these in the size at I need at a fair price?

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 AM

24 posts, read 92,323 times
If you haven't had an opportunity to visit the Florida Botanical Garden in Largo, you should check it out. It's a real gem - and free admission!

Florida Botanical Garden – Largo
Pinellas County Florida Botanical Gardens

I haven't visited USF, but they have a nice website:

USF Botanical Gardens
USF Botanical Gardens Home

Master Gardeners provide a wealth of information through community outreach (I am biased, as I'm a Master Gardener here in Minnesota!):

University of Florida Extension – Hillsborough Master Gardeners
Hillsborugh County Extension office - Unversity of Florida - IFAS

Old 09-13-2011, 01:08 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Bamboo can make a good hedge and is fast growing. This website has a lot of info.

Bamboo Giant Privacy Hedges

Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Thank you for all of the replies. I think I am pretty stuck on Areca Palm and a Hibiscus tree tree or two.

I found a place down in ..... Homestead, FL. 8 - 10' Arecas for $80/each. Pretty good deal compared to what I have been able to find. Only problem is the drive....

Have not been able to find a seller of the Hibiscus Tree that I want though, so I'll keep looking.

I was thinking Banana Trees may be something worth considering. They're cheap and grow fast, right?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:00 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,251,590 times
If it's allowed, you could put 2 feet of lattice around that part of the fence. It's easy to fit it so the fence is level all around. Then you could start a few fast growing vines and the lattice would be covered in no time.
Edit: If regulations prevent you from attaching anything to the fence to make it higher, just put the lattice on it's own poles in front of the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay