Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
As a way of saying thanks for their bailout money BOA decided to start charging everybody for using their debit cards. These same banks broke the law while robo-signing away to expedite (illegally) the foreclosure process of millions more Americans.

These crooks flushed this economy down the toilet, but what do I hear? Armchair admirals who can do little more than beat their own chest, announce their supposed accomplishments (so many wealthy business owners online that have time to post all day), and look further down the ladder to find somebody to berate.
Here's a thought for ya - maybe the same Americans who were foreclosed upon borrowed too much in the first place. Maybe those with a credit rating of 500 should have looked in the mirror first before signing their life away on the dotted line. The general mentality of the American persona these days in to look ahead, but only a week or so. How about the borrowers own up to their irresponsible behavior ?

And as far as the BOA, take your accounts and go somewhere else if you don't like the debit fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
I certainly agree with you on this one Leftee. Personal responsibility is out the window as there is always somewhere to lay the blame for your mistakes. Murder somebody? It was my childhood.
Foreclosed on? Its the mortgage companies fault.
Etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Here's a thought for ya - maybe the same Americans who were foreclosed upon borrowed too much in the first place. Maybe those with a credit rating of 500 should have looked in the mirror first before signing their life away on the dotted line. The general mentality of the American persona these days in to look ahead, but only a week or so. How about the borrowers own up to their irresponsible behavior ?

And as far as the BOA, take your accounts and go somewhere else if you don't like the debit fees.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:08 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:

How about all the borrowers with good credit and traditional 30yr mortgages who lost their jobs. Were they being irresponsible? There's no doubt subprime loans caused a lot of this mess, but to solely blame the borrower is absurd.

I do agree with you on BOA, I no longer do business with them or Wells Fargo.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
How about all the borrowers with good credit and traditional 30yr mortgages who lost their jobs. Were they being irresponsible? There's no doubt subprime loans caused a lot of this mess, but to solely blame the borrower is absurd.

I do agree with you on BOA, I no longer do business with them or Wells Fargo.
Most borrowers with enough sense to pay their bills and keep their credit rating up also have enough sense to save for a rainy day or an emergency. So what happens when the emergency fund runs out ... they also will take a job beneath their designed skill set to keep money coming in to pay the mortgage. Wives or husbands go back to work to make ends meet. Far too many people these days are living beyond their means.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:13 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Most borrowers with enough sense to pay their bills and keep their credit rating up also have enough sense to save for a rainy day or an emergency. So what happens when the emergency fund runs out ... they also will take a job beneath their designed skill set to keep money coming in to pay the mortgage. Wives or husbands go back to work to make ends meet. Far too many people these days are living beyond their means.
Do you watch the news or read the paper? Things are improving, but while the recession was in full swing there were very few jobs. The few low paying jobs available had hundreds of applicants. Even if somone was lucky enough to get a job at McDonald's, I doubt that's going to cover their mortgage. If everything was just as easy as people like you say it is nobody would have been in this situation

Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Do you watch the news or read the paper? Things are improving, but while the recession was in full swing there were very few jobs. The few low paying jobs available had hundreds of applicants. Even if somone was lucky enough to get a job at McDonald's, I doubt that's going to cover their mortgage. If everything was just as easy as people like you say it is nobody would have been in this situation
The news or the papers ? You mean the media that never tells the whole story ? Those few low paying jobs during the recession and hundreds of applicants ... all of those applicants were upside down in their mortgages ? And how much money do you think someone should have saved in the case they might lose their job ? If these folks were unable to put away enough money to sustain themselves for 6 months while they were out seeking employment, then they were overextended to begin with. You do what you can to survive in tough times ... take temp work and travel if you have to, cash in your 401k with the intent of rebuilding it later, cancel your satellite tv, cut coupons, cut vacations, retool your oocupation. If all else fails, you move to a city where you can get a job and rent your current house until the situation changes.

Problem is people wait until the catastrophe happens and then start saving and retooling. And people don't want to give up their current lifestyle ...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:22 AM

175 posts, read 353,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
"Prey"?

No one is being forced into a high-cost university education. What is going to change are students paying $150k or more for a degree that has absolutely zero value in the marketplace. Freshly graduated engineers can easily make in the high five figures. Is that a bubble?

Also, those "lenders" are the Federal government. They have been systematically shutting out private banks to keep it government-run. Are you arguing that the government should start limiting access to student loans and grants?

Yes, there is a bubble; for the reason you mentioned above. A liberal arts degree has no value in the market place, yet the price for the education continues to rise astronomically. How long is such a situation sustainable.

Yes, the lenders prey. The lender knows that the recipient majoring in fine arts cannot afford the cost of going to an expensive university and the interest associated with the loans, but the lender approves the loan anyway.

Before the housing market collapsed, the cost of homes soared and mortgages were given to people who could not afford them. When the bubble burst, everyone asked "why were these mortgages given to people who could not afford them?"

Yes, government and private banks should decrease the availability of loans to force students into concentrations that have value and will allow them to repay their loans. It's not a popular position because every American should be able to go to college, but it is not different than saying every American should be able to own a home.

Sallie Mae is the largest lender of private student loans. SLM not a government entity even if the IRS will come after you if you default.

Last edited by jdm267; 10-24-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Im not implying that there violent at all. I just think there retarded. If your going to protest at least have a logical reason to protest. Im actually all for protesting and getting your voice heard, I think its a great thing and can be powerful too.
Oh, definitely.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:30 AM

5 posts, read 3,618 times
This whole thread has gotten "really too all over the place"!! Wow.

Before posting about the Occupy movement, I recommend you actually look into who they are and what they are about. They are not all "college students." Yet somehow this thread is about the expense of college. If you had been to the Occupy website (for the larger group, not the local) you would see one of the reasons they protest is about the expense of student loan debt, but it's not their only reason for protesting. Research, please, before you post.

If you choose not to look at their website, I can tell you (since I checked it and did a little reading elsewhere) they are not just protesting. THEY ARE MEETING TO GENERATE BETTER IDEAS FOR A BETTER GOVERNMENT. They are working for social change. I say we support their efforts, because I certainly don't support what's been going on with Wall Street, bailouts, big business, and the recession, to name a few! Do you? I say give them a break.

So if I have somewhat enlightened you to a little of what the Occupiers are doing, I ask you now: What are you doing about America's problems?

I'm not trying to chew on anybody but idiots. lol ... Some of you actually had very insightful posts. I'm sure you know who you are. As for the idiots, we all know who you are. LOL

Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
maybe the people on the streets should go to that website so they know why they are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay